Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Summoning a mini army

DeadMaliaceDeadMaliace Member
edited October 2022 in General Discussion
Would it be possible in game to have loads of mediocre summons like a mini army, rather than just one summon that's really strong? Most games regarding summoner builds don't really have this, which is a bit sad...

Comments

• Options
    ShadonSolShadonSol Moderator, Member, Alpha One
    The current design allows you to summon up to three summons. Being able to summon an army is not planned. All the information can also be found in detial on the wiki:
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Summoner
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    SongRuneSongRune Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    This quickly becomes an action economy question. Even if you go from 1 summon at 100% power to 10 summons at 10% power, I still have to focus on each one to kill them. I no longer have enough time or focus to deal with anything else going on in the battle. Beyond that, I can no longer use a big ability to take off a large chunk of your summon's health. In this case, it'd one-shot one of them, rather than taking 30% off the single summon. Depending on class, this starts causing me cooldown or resource trouble. This likely begins to explain why most games don't try to balance a horde of smaller summons.
  • Options
    But that's the reason why someone would go for multiple smaller summons rather than 1 big one, it's harder to kill with single target abilities, but easier to kill with more aoe-based abilities. (I was half-joking when I said mini army, something like 8-10 summons would be cool enough)
  • Options
    FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    If a full party of 8 summoners each summon 3 =24 summons + 8 summoners = 32 entities on the attack into the nearest party of 8 or less. Sounds fun for the summoners and the enemy Elementalist's.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    You can multibox 8 summoners and have 24 summons too. The community voted to allow multiboxing.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    What was the Dark Age of Camelot's Albion caster with multiple pets... Theurgist?

Summoning a pet cost 1/8 of your total mana, you could have 8 at a time if that's all you cast. They didn't last long (more like walking DoTs) and were either air or earth based elemental (?).

It was a fun concept for a class. :)
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !