Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Hybrid combat (false?) expectations

2»

Comments

• Options
    2 combat modes kinda redunandant i feel.
    you get tab target via mouse or tab target via recticle :P
  • Options
    Veeshan wrote: »

Reticle camera mode is not just tab target.
    Dark Knight Dummo

d681818dab4ff18eaec03b0dffa7a634.gif
  • Options
    I honestly think it would be better for the development of the game, the quality of discussion, and for people's mental health if these action combat trolls were just ignored. They will not let go of this bone... forever. Literally, forever, they will cry and moan and groan and squeal like little piggies. Squeeeeeee!
  • Options
    VeeshanVeeshan Member
    edited October 2022
    Dummo wrote: »
    Veeshan wrote: »

Reticle camera mode is not just tab target.

3 modes

- No targets in cross hair shoot where rectile is could be useful to find stealth targets and thats about it unless projectile goes further than max range (Till it hit something with gravity drop)
    - Soft target cursor auto targets the entitiy is hovering over, so same thing as having a mouse hovering in middle of screen that spam clicks so aslong as ur cursor close enough to being on the target you will hit them.
    - Hardlocking target locks a target by using a key pressin this case right clicking this is exact same thing as clicking a target with tab targeting since you no longer need to aim directly at a target to hit them just aslongn as there still infront of you.

You can also hit tab in any of these modes to swap targets to another aswell from my understaning.

its basicly tab targeting with a mouse locked into the middle of ur screen, so it not action combat but its an improvement over the old tab targeting, tbh it close enough to tab targeting than i feel there honstly no reason to have tab targeting system in the game appart from pleasing the oldtimers who can fathom anything else or adapt.

but yeah ashes "Action combat" is just an improved tab targeting system imo, it not a bad thing but it a step up on GW2 system i think which was a slight step up from tab targeting system.

I do like how projectiles can be intercepted of blocked by tree through so there not garanteed to hit if you can evade them pr block them for somone.

i would like to see how it plays when players get there ahnds on it though too
  • Options
    WHIT3ROS3 wrote: »
    I honestly think it would be better for the development of the game, the quality of discussion, and for people's mental health if these action combat trolls were just ignored. They will not let go of this bone... forever. Literally, forever, they will cry and moan and groan and squeal like little piggies. Squeeeeeee!

This is a troll comment. If you don't understand how many people want action combat you are living in the past. There is a reason why mmorpgs games have been working towards action combat since over 10 years ago...

This is akin to wanting a genre to not grow if you want it to stay in tab combat. I heard Patheon needs your money.
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited October 2022
    https://www.reddit.com/r/AshesofCreation/comments/xuylzn/for_people_who_havent_played_gw2_and_dont_realize/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

just wanted to leave this here.... for people that think hybrid is something that doesn't work or that Intrepid is making something new and risky
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    MayhemMayhem Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    edited October 2022
    Been thinking about this for a while and combining some of my own thoughts with other peoples feedback and suggestions.

1. Go Reticle Cam as the only Camera Option
    Add an option for Hard Lock Only with no Soft Lock (TAB Mode) (Have to use TAB to Cycle targets) (No Soft Locking when Reticle over Enemy)
    Add an option for Soft Lock Only with no Hard Lock (Action Mode) (Would not be able to use TAB to cycle targets) (No Hard Lock with Right Click)

2. Freefiring Abilities/Attacks
    Attacks/Abilities with Cast/Charge Time, Skillshots and some AOEs and abilities (Examples)
    Mage Fireball (Cast Projectile) (Currently Autohoning)
    Mage Meteor (Cast AOE Template)
    Cleric Heal (Cast Hitscan)
    Cleric Whip (Currently Projectile?/Delayed Hitscan?) (Should be Skillshot)
    Cleric Spear (Cast Projectile) (Currently Autohoning) (Should be Skillshot)
    Ranger Snipe (Charged Projectile) (Currently Autohoning) (Should be Skillshot)
    Ranger Air Strike (AOE)
    Fighter Hammer Strike (AOE)
    Fighter Spin (AOE)
    Melee Basic Attack (Cone Hitscan)
    Wand (Projectile) (Currently Auto Honing)
    Short and Longbow (Projectile / Charged Projectile) (Currently Autohoning)

You should be able to use all of these even without a target

Cast/Charge Abilities = if you have a target near your reticle it would lock on to that target at the end of cast (Ability Press -> Cast -> Reticle over Target -> Auto Honing Projectile), not as currently (Reticle over target -> Ability Press -> Cast -> Auto honing projectile) (Action Mode)
    You would need to have a target in (TAB mode) for Cast and Charge Abilities
    Abilities like instant HOT, DOT, Interrupt would hit the nearest target to your reticle (Action Mode)

If you have no friendly target (Cleric Heal) or hold cast on self keybind (Lets say right click as an example) before the ability goes off, you heal yourself (Action Mode)

If an Ability is a (Skillshot) it should shoot where you are aiming (not use Tab/Hard Lock or Soft Lock and Auto Hone)

3. Bow / Wand Gameplay (Action Mode)
    Works as it does now with Basic Attack soft locking and autohoning to target with both Shortbow and Longbow, Change Hold and Charge Shot to Hold Right Click only (Think of this as an extra weapon ability) (Skillshot)
    Longbow Hold Right Click to Charge Shot for Increased Damage (Skillshot)
    Shortbow Hold Rick Click to Charge Shot for Increased Crit Rate (Skillshot)

Wand could also have something similar to this with holding down right click (Skillshot)

I think this would be a nice way to go
    (edit) rip frame clicking for healers
  • Options
    For the action mode on ranged weapons, it looks like they wanted all the standard hotbar combat mechanics (hard lock, homing projectiles, auto attacks, etc), just with a tighter camera angle and a more intuitive way to select targets.