Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Mob Respawns

Potato BasketPotato Basket Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
edited October 2022 in General Discussion
Ok so in the last ranger demo Steven had to cheat his way for the stream

He killed some mobs then advanced further to the next mob and while fighting it the previous mob respawns and it got ugly so he had to flee

Now how is that supposed to work on release?

Especially with ranged and mobile classes which have to keep their distance from the target and constantly be mobile running around the whole area agroing previous spawns?

That's just bad game design imo

It can keep the engagement in a repetitive cycle at the same place so you find yourself stuck in an endless loop of mobs while you try to advance further or deeper so you're only option is to run through them?
No progressive advancement?

Comments

• FantmxFantmx Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Pretty sure his experience is in no way reflective of what ours will be and was only to demonstrate ranged combat, because he was demonstrating ranged combat and not mob respawns or travel.
  • Potato BasketPotato Basket Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Fantmx wrote: »
    Pretty sure his experience is in no way reflective of what ours will be and was only to demonstrate ranged combat, because he was demonstrating ranged combat and not mob respawns or travel.

Yeah but it was the same in Alpha one
    You're saying it as if you know it's going to change, if so how exactly?
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Honestly, the mobs were spaced so far apart that it shouldn't be an issue. Just keep an eye out.

It isn't bad game design, it is bad game play.
  • To me that just seems like fun and exciting gameplay. You have to think about your movements, keep track of mob respawn timers and their potential respawn locations (if they don't respawn on the exact same place), all while managing your rotations and mana consumption AND looking out for any player enemies.

This is the best kind of design imo. Especially if the mobs are a bit more difficult than what they shown here.
  • FantmxFantmx Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I had zero problems with bunched up mob groups in alpha 1 but I also did not explore every single space.
  • Potato BasketPotato Basket Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited October 2022
    NiKr wrote: »
    This is the best kind of design imo. Especially if the mobs are a bit more difficult than what they shown here.

I just don't see what's so fun about repetitive cycles of respawns, especially when they happen right in front of your eyes, quite immersion breaking as well

Maybe once defeated they shouldn't respawn as long as you're present in the area and they do when you get a bit of distance?

Proximity based respawns?
  • Song_WardenSong_Warden Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I mean oh shit moments offer the best results when you succeed. I'm a little confused when the official line states we'll have to group and synergise when all we're shown is solo and no synergy.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • I just don't see what's so fun about repetitive cycles of respawns, especially when they happen right in front of your eyes, quite immersion breaking as well

Maybe once defeated they shouldn't respawn as long as you're present in the area and they do when you get a bit of distance?

Guess it's a matter of preference. And Intrepid could just have a huge variety of respawn methods for different mobs and we'd both enjoy the gameplay that we like.

I'm used to grinding farming spots for hours, which is why I like when I have a constant flow of mobs to farm. And that constant flow means more danger because, if a player comes to that location, I'll always be caught fighting monsters which is a detriment to me, and I personally like that heightened danger during farming.

If mobs are just "one-offs" or have very long respawns, that would just mean that I'd have to run between locations more and would have to attack more people because they'd be taking away my farm. Now, I'm completely fine with attacking people, but how many players would be fine getting attacked?
  • Neurath wrote: »
    I mean oh shit moments offer the best results when you succeed. I'm a little confused when the official line states we'll have to group and synergise when all we're shown is solo and no synergy.
    I'd assume they just haven't developed that part of gameplay yet, mainly cause they've barely even shown off archetypes, let alone classes. And as they stated in this stream, they were showing off solo-farm mobs instead of the elite party ones.
  • dude, really?
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    NiKr wrote: »

I just don't see what's so fun about repetitive cycles of respawns, especially when they happen right in front of your eyes, quite immersion breaking as well

Why?

Gameplay beats immersion, every time.
  • LashingLashing Member
    edited October 2022
    Hopefully they made solo-level mobs fairly slow to respawn. This way people will not just aoe grind them in a large group. If a solo player could clear out an area, then a group would spend more time waiting for respawns than fighting. This will push groups into actual group content instead of obliterating solo level mobs over and over.
  • SongRuneSongRune Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited October 2022
    The purpose of having mobs respawn at a particular rate in a given area is to prevent player movement through that area unless they are capable of killing mobs at a particular speed so they can continue to move forward faster than the previous mobs respawn. The correct respawn rate for an area is defined based on how easily you want the area to be passable to players of a given level. Higher level players will mow through and cross the zone without issue. At-level players will find it challenging and need to play well. Lower level players have to find a different way around, but can still choose to grind those mobs by pulling from the edge of the area.

Creature density and aggression ranges are then defined based on how much space a ranged or mobile player needs to function. If your creatures are spread out more (and aggressive from a broader range to compensate for any gaps in the "none have died yet" configuration), then killing any one (or cluster) gives you a larger 'free space' (its former 'controlled area') to fight the next in.

These are both things that Intrepid will tune as development and testing progresses.
  • I like how this thread was made to ask if Steven is bad at his own video game. the answer is yes, he is.
  • Remember...its just Alpha 2 (even in revision right now). sooo....many things coming!!
  • Noaani wrote: »
    Honestly, the mobs were spaced so far apart that it shouldn't be an issue. Just keep an eye out.

It isn't bad game design, it is bad game play.

so true. Sadly his years of learning how to make a game seems to have rotted whatever part of his brain was used for playing said games. hahaha poor guy.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I would love if every mob had a bit longer and random respawn timers, I'm not a fan of grind games that you keep doing the same rotation beacuse you know the exact time the mobs will respawn
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Yeah but it was the same in Alpha one
    You're saying it as if you know it's going to change, if so how exactly?

In A1, Steven ran around the world and would literally spawn 100 bears on top of players. So maybe let’s not take alphas too seriously.

If any one gives you anything approximating an exact answer to your question they’re full of it. So chill. 😉

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • NiKr wrote: »

what if you have many players in the same area...mobs will never respawn :D or will respawn in the next continent haha