Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

This is the kind of combat I expect to see from a modern mmorpg, full action, manual aiming/evading.

13»

Comments

• Options
    pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    edited October 2022
    maouw wrote: »
    Believe it or not, one of the latest overwatch supports has a heal that rewards tracking teammates with your reticle.
    Yes, it is a thing

In a free to play FPS.
    FPS. FPS. FPS..... Why are you even comparing these?

Its like someone telling John Deer that their swathers should have more acceleration because Teslas do. 'It is a thing'? NSB, and water is wet.

OW2: A little box where you pew pew each other over and over again.

AoC: This game might not be for you.

P.S. TF2's Medic's heal gun 'locked on', similar to tab target. Yes, it is a thing.
  • Options
    pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    Vaknar wrote: »
    This thread is a good example of why going one route or the other (in regard to full action or full tab) will never please everyone.

We sincerely believe that the hybrid system we're developing will be fun and engaging for most players! With that said, in my own opinion, it's kind of hard to gauge what the combat of a game is truly like until you've really had your hands on it. So, we hope to get A2 to y'all ASAP so you can feel out the combat system! ^_^

Its comforting to know that @StevenSharif 's vision won't be swayed by the nublets who've never put their heart into an MMORPG but insist on what it should be, namely their favorite FPS/ arena mobile game.
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »
    Dummo wrote: »
    That gameplay video did not do it for me, but I agree with everything you said.
    Sathrago wrote: »
    Give me tab target, 30 hotbar skills, and meaningful gear progression.

I personally hate having that much skills on my hotbar and I want skill to matter outside of just having better gear.

While not the only way to introduce skill to a game, the more abilities you have, the more skill it takes to be good at a game.

To me, a game with 6 abilities but where you need to aim and evade uses less actual player skill than a game with 30 abilities but where you dont need to aim and evading is a function of gear.

I'm sure you think differently, and that's fine. You prefer to think that aiming a reticle at another player is "skill".

You're joking, right? Going through your rotation is skilled? Since you don't think aiming is a skill I guess you're a god at fps games? It's not good to say false statements just because you want to make yourself feel good.
  • Options
    Dolyem wrote: »
    No thanks, just have some action skills and leave the rest as tab.

What counts as action to you?
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Aiming at an unmoving or barely-moving target obviously isn't a skill in this type of game.

DODGING is a skill. Awareness of surroundings and what you can afford to not focus on is a skill. Not panicking is a skill. Timing a shot when you had to whirl around because you realized an enemy is coming, sure.

Unless there's quite a lot of movement involved, 'aiming' is one of the lowest tiers of skill across almost all games that apply it. But 'aiming' has to matter for 'dodging' to matter, so we end up thinking of 'the combination of the other skills with the relatively low difficulty of aiming' as skill.

Obviously if a Targeting system invalidates 'Active Movement and Positioning' entirely it's probably less fun for quite a lot of people. But it's seldom 'pointing the cursor at the target' that makes aiming 'skill-related'.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited October 2022
    LordBlank wrote: »

Why do you need to know? Is your mum coming over?

7h4j43bbeghh.gif
    lsb9nxihx5vc.png
  • Options
    Asgerr wrote: »
    Not gonna lie, that gameplay looks incredibly boring. If I want to play that I'll just go play Chivalry 2.

The gameplay is not so bad. In the current MMORPGs, I would even say that this is a good gameplay.
    As for me, it would not be bad to reduce the HP to the players, still 3-4 arrows in the heads is not quite normal. MMORPG involves a large number of players. Such an abundance of HP during the same sieges will allow you to escape in fact to the breach. Which is no longer adequate. Yes, this will increase the dynamics and the threshold for entry into PVP. After all, even a conventional tank can cut you into sashimi. And the robber at all... But no, you won't see him. But that's the whole juice. Hide behind the tanks, play thoughtfully, think over tactics, look for a synergy of skills. I think I was understood
  • Options
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    BlackBrony wrote: »
    So is healing also aimed? Full action combat shouldn't have healing targeted spells either, so healers can show off their skills.

Skill is not related to support healing and buffs 0 reason to make that more competitive when it is a cooperative element.

What is the reasoning behind this? Why is not related? Please give me a reason. If aiming = skills, then the same concept should apply to healing.
    Why suddenly for healing aiming != skill?
    Does this means that healing is a lesser role? If I care about skills and action combat why would I want to play a healer that doesn't show off my skills?
    On another note, aiming is a skill, so why would I gimp my skills over time by picking a role that doesn't make me better at PvP?

Why do people prefer action combat, answer that question.

I'm not the one having contradictory statements. You want full aiming only when doing damage, not while healing. That is contradictory to what Action Combat is.
  • Options
    So is healing also aimed? Full action combat shouldn't have healing targeted spells either, so healers can show off their skills.

Skill is not related to support healing and buffs 0 reason to make that more competitive when it is a cooperative element.

What is the reasoning behind this? Why is not related? Please give me a reason. If aiming = skills, then the same concept should apply to healing.
    Does this means that healing is a lesser role? If I care about skills and action combat why would I want to play a healer that doesn't show off my skills?
    On another note, aiming is a skill, so why would I gimp my skills over time by picking a role that doesn't make me better at PvP?

I'm not the one having contradictory statements. You want full aiming only when doing damage, not while healing. That is contradictory to what Action Combat is.

Use your brain please. Saying something and wanting something doesn't make something happen.

What is the purpose of action combat, what is the purpose of healing your team, what are the issues that come with it and benefits. How have games in the past done things, why are they fun, why do they add skill ceiling, how does gameplay effect elements of each other.

You simply say something without thinking of design issues and problems that happen between things. So what you are saying is pointless unless you actually back any of what you want up.

I think about how things work I don't just yell I want this but then give 0 input how that can work or how it might have a negative effect on other aspects.

Nothing is contradictory, you just refuse to understand the issues and want to ignore them which will leave to design flaws unless you offer solutions. Overwatch with playing ana on a rooftop and healing is not a solution for a mmorpg.
  • Options
    LordBlank wrote: »

Manually aimed/ directional
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options

Use your brain please. Saying something and wanting something doesn't make something happen.

What is the purpose of action combat, what is the purpose of healing your team, what are the issues that come with it and benefits. How have games in the past done things, why are they fun, why do they add skill ceiling, how does gameplay effect elements of each other.

You simply say something without thinking of design issues and problems that happen between things. So what you are saying is pointless unless you actually back any of what you want up.

I think about how things work I don't just yell I want this but then give 0 input how that can work or how it might have a negative effect on other aspects.

Nothing is contradictory, you just refuse to understand the issues and want to ignore them which will leave to design flaws unless you offer solutions. Overwatch with playing ana on a rooftop and healing is not a solution for a mmorpg.

I already made a point. It was pretty clear. Why would anyone play a healer in an Action Combat game? If all they do is play a healer and nothing else, ok. What about when they do other stuff, or alts?
    Like you said, aiming is a skill. If you do not use such skills, you become worse compared to others.
    Why would you willingly become worst at the game?

You have given no argument. If you win using your skill to aim and kill the enemy, why suddenly it doesn't work for healing. Healers win by aiming and landing those heals. It's the same game, aiming, just in a different situation.
    If you do not want that, it means you don't want action combat, or just when it suits you.
  • Options

I already made a point. It was pretty clear. Why would anyone play a healer in an Action Combat game? If all they do is play a healer and nothing else, ok. What about when they do other stuff, or alts?
    Like you said, aiming is a skill. If you do not use such skills, you become worse compared to others.
    Why would you willingly become worst at the game?

You have given no argument. If you win using your skill to aim and kill the enemy, why suddenly it doesn't work for healing. Healers win by aiming and landing those heals. It's the same game, aiming, just in a different situation.
    If you do not want that, it means you don't want action combat, or just when it suits you.

When did i say they can't have action skills for healing, when did I say they won't have other action skills? Healers aren't only going to be healing bots.
  • Options
    UGSoulUGSoul Member
    edited October 2022