Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Concept Art vs Models

I have been very pleased with the recent concept art! I have read many similar opinions to this and I think the art direction is really improving. However, I wanted to address something I noticed in the recent model update.
I was excited when Steven repeatedly stated the concept art and models will be nearly identical, given how great the concept art has been. The art team really nailed that with the Vek and the Py'rai, but I think the Empyrean elves need a little more work to achieve that goal.
Their model looks a little dull and lifeless compared to the concept art, unlike the Py'rai elves. I think the issue might be with the texturing and not the models themselves? Let me know if you see this, too.

800px-SSLivestream-2022-06-30-1%3A01%3A03.88.png
800px-SSLivestream-2022-08-26-38%3A24.31.png

Comments

• Options
    A few things...

This is a "base model" which needs to be able to be made both thicker and thinner, as has been shown in the character creator. Just how much thinner could the face on the right be made? Not much, without looking skeletal.

The 2d concept image (created in Photoshop I assume) has a much warmer palette and tone (especially when it comes to lighting) The 3d model will have been ripped from the program being used to create it (Blender, Maya, Zbrush) which means it is under much harsher and colder lighting. The model in the actual game engine will look better due to this. (We can all see the great lighting that UE5 has)

You also really need to take into consideration that these images of heads are huge when compared to what you actually see in-game.

• Options
    @WHIT3ROS3
    I don’t think the base model itself is the issue regarding what you said about thinness, more so the texturing.
    I just notice how the Py’rai model almost looks more like the Empyrean concept art than it’s own model does.
    Perhaps it’s just the lighting in the rendering, but there’s something a bit off about the skin and eyes compared to the Py’rai I think.
  • Options
    WHIT3ROS3WHIT3ROS3 Member
    edited October 2022
    It's just the lighting.
  • Options
    IridiannyIridianny Member
    edited October 2022
    @WHIT3ROS3
    Maybe, but they almost look like they would be from two different games to me. The Py’rai and Vek were uniform in style, but this model stands out a bit is all. I suppose we will see once it’s in game like you said!
  • Options
    i will agree that the complexion is off for the model, but im sure they have plenty of time to adjust that.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    Lighting matters, you are going to see more neutral lighting in what they are showing off, where the concept art might have more liberties taken.

Did some quick photoshop and made it seem more dayish time for you. Textures are mostly fine im sure they might do some more adjustments, i think you are being a bit to nit picky over things though.

aiz1j43kvcuu.png
  • Options
    Lighting is a big deal, it effects a lot more than you realize. If the other characters were fine for you I'm sure that values they are using are similar with the other characters as it is physical based rendering.
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    Lighting matters, you are going to see more neutral lighting in what they are showing off, where the concept art might have more liberties taken.

Did some quick photoshop and made it seem more dayish time for you. Textures are mostly fine im sure they might do some more adjustments, i think you are being a bit to nit picky over things though.

aiz1j43kvcuu.png

that looks nice! yea definitely lighting makes all the difference
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    The colour of the eyes also makes a big difference. The ice blue gives a much colder/harsher look. The actual sculpting from concept to model is top notch.