Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Confused About Apocalypse

HasilHasil Member, Settler, Kickstarter
I didn't play the Apocalypse test, but I have been told that it was primarily action combat. Why do you think Intrepid tested a primarily action combat system but the recent ranger showcase seemed to have much more tab targeting?

I know combat will be going through many iterations from now until launch, but it seems weird to have tested action but apparently be backing off of it so much. Were there technical problems? Is it because of concerns over performance in large fights? Seems like at least action combat should be tested in those large fights first -- in A1 testing was the combat primarily action or tab?

Comments

• Options
    Hasil wrote: »
    I didn't play the Apocalypse test, but I have been told that it was primarily action combat. Why do you think Intrepid tested a primarily action combat system but the recent ranger showcase seemed to have much more tab targeting?

I know combat will be going through many iterations from now until launch, but it seems weird to have tested action but apparently be backing off of it so much. Were there technical problems? Is it because of concerns over performance in large fights? Seems like at least action combat should be tested in those large fights first -- in A1 testing was the combat primarily action or tab?

Because the mmo was always intended to primarily be a tab-target game. Why did they do action combat in the battle royale? No clue, but it might be because zoomers find that more appealing. But yeah, no clue.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    HeartbeatHeartbeat Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    edited October 2022
    The apocalypse test was more of a technical test to make sure certain backend stuff was working the way they wanted it to. The combat system shown there was not representative of how they actually want combat to function.

There were no problems and personally i didn't encounter any bugs, but it felt a little clunky given that it was put together probably rather quickly. Although I played Apocalypse I did not play Alpha-1, but heard that it was primarily action combat and was not received well, and players were then given the option of switching between tab targeting and action combat.
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited October 2022
    Sathrago wrote: »
    Because the mmo was always intended to primarily be a tab-target game. Why did they do action combat in the battle royale? No clue, but it might be because zoomers find that more appealing. But yeah, no clue.

@Sathrago I will give you a clue: Ashes is Not a tab target only game - it is Hybrid. There are plenty of Action combat elements and mechanics that needed to be created and tested.

Melee basic attacks are 100% Action, Ranged Basic attacks, even in tab mode are Projectiles - there are skill shots, AoEs, and projectiles with "bullet drop" calculations and hitboxes, all of this exists within the Hybrid 'tab-centric' combat system. Apoc was extremely important to make the hybrid exist.

Nothing in Apoc went to waste

Took me 2 minutes and 0.2% of brain capacity to get to that conclusion 😉

img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    double post for some reason
    img]
  • Options
    Liniker wrote: »

@Sathrago I will give you a clue: Ashes is Not a tab target only game - it is Hybrid. There are plenty of Action combat elements and mechanics that needed to be created and tested.

Melee basic attacks are 100% Action, Ranged Basic attacks, even in tab mode are Projectiles - there are skill shots, AoEs, and projectiles with "bullet drop" calculations and hitboxes, all of this exists within the Hybrid 'tab-centric' combat system. Apoc was extremely important to make the hybrid exist.

Took me 2 minutes and 0.2% of brain capacity to get to that conclusion 😉

Maybe you should have used an extra second to actually read this part of my post.
    Because the mmo was always intended to primarily be a tab-target game.

I'm really sorry that you had to take that much time out of your busy schedule to explain this all. However it would be even better if you didn't come off like an ass every time you post something on here. Thanks though
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    Maybe you should have used an extra second to actually read this part of my post.

lol, your post said you had no clue why they tested Action in Apoc and it might have been because of the zoomers :D

I'm sorry that you are not that smart, I tried to help...

img]
  • Options
    They had planned hybrid combat from the start, so I think Apoc was mostly action probably because that is more complex to code. They wanted to test back-end systems like someone said, but they also wanted to get a rough baseline for action combat.
  • Options
    Hasil wrote: »

I think Steven died during the tests and said was not fun.
    And because he pays the development form his pockets, he makes what he likes. Imagine that we are on 2nd place.
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!