Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Is there or will there be a Jail?

Hello, new here.

I think I saw in a video or an explanation about the bounty/wanted system in the game and was wondering if there will also be a jail and you have to either wait your time or work it off through something like labour?

And if there is, will there be soap?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    A jail system would be funny for a minute, but not good gameplay. The major plan is to put a bounty on gankers, I believe. Which gives a chance for you to drop loot if another player kills you. The best option would to have an in-game timer that does not tick down if you log out. That way anyone that is wanted has to be active until that tag runs out.
  • Options
    Yes, if you use combat trackers you gain corruption and you will do forced labor in jail. :trollface:
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The "bounty" on gankers comes out of the corruption system and is part of the bounty hunter social organization progression planned for the game. Corruption does not diminish over time. You will not be sitting somewhere waiting to "afk the red away." The only ways to reduce/remove corruption is by grinding pve mobs or dying to another player in pvp actions. Which gives exp debt (at a rate 4x normal). The only way said so far to reduce your "murder count" (a separate tracked thing) is to complete quests for that purpose.

The question about jail mechanics a la Archeage has been answered a few times over the years. Intrepid considers that play to be "unfun" and will not be instituting a jail system, either system controlled or player participated.
    5ipgvsz5nevb.png
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    prymortalprymortal Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    GM jails are great to live monitor bot reports. But jail in game for players... it has it place in bounty hunting but I'm not a fan.
  • Options
    AbaratAbarat Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    i remember steven mentioning offhandedly once that people who were banned for cheating or gold selling/buying could be displayed in public hanging from a gallows or a cage (left to decay) in town with the character nameplate visible.

I kinda liked that idea.
  • Options
    No jails. But I’m a fan of the ‘hanging tree’ for banned players, similar to the hanging trees in Witcher 3.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    Weak people want others to go to jail instead of doing proper PvP against them and defeating them.
    The same people do not like to organize themselves to have strength in number and superior discipline.
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Options
    Archeage had many cutting edge aspects of it's game. AoC shouldnt discount any of them. Jail was actually a really cool aspect of Archeage. That game had some HUGE issues though, but it was as close as any game has come to something breaking the mold and moving to a new great place in this genre.
  • Options
    Ace1234Ace1234 Member
    edited October 2022
    A jail sysyem wouldn't have to be unfun- but it would require a lot of work to make it fun.

It could function as stealth/detective/parkour gameplay where the prisoner can choose to attempt escape at a higher risk of punishment- and other players can be guards who try to monitor the prisoners to see who might be attempting escape and try to prevent them from escaping.

Could be really fun actually.
  • Options
    The only way I can see the jail somewhat working is
    - if the jail is more a detention colony where you can mine some unique resources and you can also steal them. So being put into the jail could be one way to reach that place but also sneaking in or out somehow.
    - and if the PvX life there is interesting enough so that some players to prefer to stay there constantly. Having contacts inside could be useful.