Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Player guilds with branch guilds?

My question is how will you combat the formation of player guilds that will exists as seperate guilds in game but as one guild on discord and such. I am afraid that they will do that to control the whole server while providing the illusion of conflict even tho they already have everything decided.

Comments

• Options
    Scarce resources.
    Only if you attack and loot caravans and siege other nodes will you be able to repair your high level gear.

Everybody could stop fighting to prevent durability loss. But then that is what players want: to farm crops and fish. And you will go and play on another server or game. Nothing wrong with this unlikely scenario where all people are friends.
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Options
    Large groups of players will dominate large parts of the map, but the world is so large that no singular group can control an entire server (we're talking groups of 500+ highly coordinated players).

We will have to wait and see what benefits (guild talents) guilds can offer. I remember Steven saying that guilds can choose to invest in guild size or in player power. So to maximize effectiveness, a large group of players with many small guilds is actually optimal play. Put your artisan focused players in one guild, economic focused players in another, combat focused in a third, etc.

How will they balance effectiveness and size? Many people have told me that it's logistically very difficult to manage many small guilds separately and simultaneously, but anyone with good planning, communication, and management skills should be able to do this for sure. Maybe those who can do this should be able to do this, but hopefully it's not too strong that any group that wants to be competitive has to do this.
  • Options
    SongRuneSongRune Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Areallis wrote: »
    My question is how will you combat the formation of player guilds that will exists as seperate guilds in game but as one guild on discord and such. I am afraid that they will do that to control the whole server while providing the illusion of conflict even tho they already have everything decided.

No attempt at all will be made to combat them. If they can keep their interests aligned, avoid politics, avoid 'power hungry' disruptions, and avoid internal conflicts over decisions relating to nodes, gear and resources, they will be allowed to exist and operate.
    The Wiki wrote:
    One of the things that I think will naturally combat the the risk that comes with one mega corp or one mega guild owning the server so-to-speak and killing off competition is that Ashes is constantly changing. So the way that nodes spawn and despawn and can be destroyed; and the castles exist to exert pressure; and these world events pop up. It's a massive world and it's constantly changing. Those two things naturally combat the opportunity for mega guilds to claw control over a particular server.[2] – Steven Sharif
    (ref: Guilds)
  • Options

ctmt7k8fgx9q.png
  • Options

how will YOU combat them?
  • Options

My question is: why would you wanna do that?

If the players work together and politique well enough to form large alliances, why would you wanna stop it. You're looking at it from the point of view of a victim. Look at it as if you were a part of those guilds. Would it feel fair for the game to restrict your social interactions within the game?

With that said, the game has an Alliance system, which allows for 3 Guilds to band together for some benefits (Alliance bank, specific quests etc.) However Guilds can only be part of 1 Alliance at a time. If people want to have an informal alliance, cool.

Keep also in mind that to have a guild expanded to the largest size possible, it requires said guild to spec fully into player cap in their guild skill tree. This means that they'll miss out on other perks, such as buffs to combat in PvP and PvE and gathering.

Other smaller guilds may specialize in different aspects and either out-perform the larger guilds in those fields, or be recruited if they offer enough benefits for it (protection etc.). Or they can just beat them in a fight if they have bigger buffs against their numbers.

And hey, the bigger an alliance gets, the easier it becomes for infighting to arise and the alliance to fall out. Consider that there are a limited amount of castles and flying mounts. Greed alone would drive people to screw their alliance out of those. Players not liking each other and other perceived slights will lead to wanting to fight each other, thus disbanding the alliances and starting guild wars. Meanwhile smaller guilds may gain a foothold at the top.
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    Asgerr wrote: »

My question is: why would you wanna do that?

If the players work together and politique well enough to form large alliances, why would you wanna stop it. You're looking at it from the point of view of a victim. Look at it as if you were a part of those guilds. Would it feel fair for the game to restrict your social interactions within the game?

With that said, the game has an Alliance system, which allows for 3 Guilds to band together for some benefits (Alliance bank, specific quests etc.) However Guilds can only be part of 1 Alliance at a time. If people want to have an informal alliance, cool.

Keep also in mind that to have a guild expanded to the largest size possible, it requires said guild to spec fully into player cap in their guild skill tree. This means that they'll miss out on other perks, such as buffs to combat in PvP and PvE and gathering.

Other smaller guilds may specialize in different aspects and either out-perform the larger guilds in those fields, or be recruited if they offer enough benefits for it (protection etc.). Or they can just beat them in a fight if they have bigger buffs against their numbers.

And hey, the bigger an alliance gets, the easier it becomes for infighting to arise and the alliance to fall out. Consider that there are a limited amount of castles and flying mounts. Greed alone would drive people to screw their alliance out of those. Players not liking each other and other perceived slights will lead to wanting to fight each other, thus disbanding the alliances and starting guild wars. Meanwhile smaller guilds may gain a foothold at the top.

Good point, but i would feel a bit scumy if i was a part of a too big of a group, i agree with the other stuff you mantioned
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    edited October 2022
    Depraved wrote: »
    how will YOU combat them?

Actively, you could insert spies into their guild structure to undermine their command, control, and communications. You could misdirect resources, steal material, and demoralize their core teams. You could actively oppose them by learning where they are raiding, and conducting ambushes or flanking attacks - not with the objective of ‘winning’ but disrupting. Basically, organize and conduct an insurgency.

Passively, you could just wait - knowing the entropy of most gaming social constructs result in deterioration and fracture. Then just be organized enough to take advantage of the cracks.

It’s history and basic human psychology, not rocket science.

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png