Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Travel and chests

MyosotysMyosotys Member
edited October 2022 in General Discussion
Hey !
On the Wifi I understood that we our items can be stored independantly in different nodes, house. Could you please confirm that there will not be any centralised chest available from any node ?

I also couldn't find the cost of the Fast travel on the wiki https://fr.ashesofcreation.wiki/Fast_travel

If I need to craft in a town but the items are in another town, I will have to take my items and travel. If my bag is full, I will have to travel several times ? Pay a lot in fast travel to craft something with maybe low value ?

I would be thankful if someone could explain more in details how the fast travel will work?

Comments

• The purpose of the game is to force players to transport resources using caravans which are supposed to be defended against attacks, because other players will want to steal those resources.
    Therefore there will be no centralized chest available.

If you need to craft something, you probably will do that in your home city where your apartment or freehold is.
    You will have the choice to buy resources locally if present. If those are coming from far away, might be expensive. If you try to by them cheap at their original location, then you will have to take the risk to transport them.
    Resources will be more expensive further away from the source node, to cover the transportation cost, just like in real life.

Do you like this system? Or do you want a centralized chest?
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • MyosotysMyosotys Member
    edited October 2022
    Strevi wrote: »

To be able to answer you, I need to play the game to understand the system in its globality.

Base on my experience of New World, it was terribly annoying to play because the loots of ressources were massive and the place in the storage were ridiculous. So you couldn't craft the ressources faster than you gather it (because of timers everywhere). At the end my storages were full in every single town and you cannot even play the game.

So I think this system could be excellent but we must be able to have one place in the world where we can store ressources in big quantities. Or at least sell something to a NPC.

And according to me it's also important to limit the ressources available to increase scarcity and avoid problems with storages + to build a solid economy.

Anything is question of balance, so we will see )

• AsgerrAsgerr Member
    edited October 2022
    There are a couple of reasons why you will want to have materials stored in multiple Nodes.

1 - You get to go grab them no matter where you are, with more ease
    2 - When a Node is sieged, certain buildings and services become inaccessible and your materials cannot be sent somewhere else. Losing the siege may cause you to lose part or all of your materials (hasn't been tested to scale appropriately) So you wanna spread them out.
    3 - One node may have certain crafting buildings which the other node doesn't
    4 - Incentivizes needing to use Caravans to transport the goods from one node to another, that you may use all of them there. This creates further opportunities for PvP and for you to lose a portion of your materials.

Keep in mind, that whilst you can do multiple trips with a bag-full of materials, you can also use a Mule, which is a type of mount specialized in carrying materials (more than you can in your inventory). Also, caravans can carry even more than all those two options combined, however they create a PvP zone for people to attack you with impunity.

Regarding fast travel.

Fast travel will only be available in a couple of forms:

1 - From a scientific node metropolis to its vassal nodes (instant)
    2 - Family summon (a member of your family can summon you to them instantly)
    3 - Airships between metropolis (faster but not instant)

Cost will likely be money, but it hasn't been tested to tune the exact price just yet.

Concerning Vassal nodes (in case you hadn't come across this before). Basically whenever one node levels up, it locks all other adjacent (or in its general area) from leveling to the same progress level. Those of inferior level are that one node's vassals.

A Metropolis (stage 6) can control up to two City (stage 5) nodes. A City (stage 5) can control one Town (stage 4) and one Village (stage 3) node. A Village (stage 3) can control an Encampment (stage 2) or an Expedition (stage 1). If the Village (stage 3) gets destroyed through a siege, its "vassals" are also destroyed

So from a Scientific (only) Metropolis you can teleport to any of the other nodes. From a City you can only teleport to a Town, Village, Encampment or Expedition. From a Town, you can only teleport to a Village, Encampment or Expedition etc. etc.
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Myosotys wrote: »
    Strevi wrote: »

To be able to answer you, I need to play the game to understand the system in its globality.

You can think and imagine how it works, consequences if different aspects are changed...
    Also different servers can have different dynamics.
    On servers with many PvE players it can happen that there will be plenty of resources on the market with just a slight price increase compared to the source market.
    On servers with many PvP players, the resource loss during transportation will cause price increase.

If you want to play solo, you will still not be able to master all 3 phases of the production chain: gathering, processing and crafting except maybe for animal husbandry, which is not clearly described yet and how the caravan system impacts it.
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!