Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Environmental effects on players

I'll be honest from the start, I've never played that many MMOs so my knowledge on the subject is quite limited. Although from the few that I have played, I've been wondering why you don't take damage from environmental effects? Or maybe you do and I just haven't noticed. But an example would be if you're in an environment full of lava and stuff that is generally damn hot, you would naturally take fire/heat damage unless your character has a natural resistance towards it, or you're wearing some kind of armor against it (or potions or whatever).

I think it would have multiple benefits such as it would, in my opinion, be more fun to explore the world as you would have to prepare before exploring different environments, but also you wont just obtain an overpowered piece of armor that you use constantly across all environments and be like "HAHAHA DIE!"

Anyway that's just my thoughts. I'm not even certain if some games already do this, but at the very least I haven't noticed it. I think it would be fun, but what are your thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    I've seen damage from lava or poison clouds or rivers in MMOs. Those are typically static areas, not dynamic like weather.
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Options
    Shiro02 wrote: »
    think it would have multiple benefits such as it would, in my opinion, be more fun to explore the world as you would have to prepare before exploring different environments, but also you wont just obtain an overpowered piece of armor that you use constantly across all environments and be like "HAHAHA DIE!"

I too look forward to this aspect. Because the world of Verra is so environmentally diverse, I hope we have to go to certain environment types to get these kinds of environment resistance gear. Like let's say they know how to make frost resistance gear in the snowy mountain area, but not in the dessert area, and you want to have frost armor because it's the flavor of the month (FotM). You will have to go to the snowy area to learn how to craft frost resist gear, or find a supply chain/ line for certain materials that you can only get in those areas that are needed to craft the gear.

There is lot's of potential for this game, I hope it is fully realized. I don't have any doubts in my mind, however, because Steven and the Intrepid team look like they really care about making the best game they can, and they actually listen to community feedback.