Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Incentive for Casual Players

80% of gamers are casual. I would like their wallets to be able to fund the game so I can have more content.

Please make the leveling experience enjoyable for newbies and give them plenty of interesting things to do early on.
Most casual players will never reach max level so keep them subscribed with engaging low level content.
Going from quest to quest to quest, never reading anything not knowing anything just mindlessly trying to progress gets boring really fast if you're not a dedicated gamer.

Comments

• Options
    Afaik that is exactly the plan. Though there's quite a few other things that might push away those casual players if they're not ready for them.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Casual time players, you mean?
  • Options
    I agree leveling experience needs to be fun so having those dungeons and content to do and explore is a big bonus rather then having all content late game to do. Their Entry point is really good as well since its only 15$ and no box cost.

Maybe its copium but i think this game will have over 2m concurrent players first week.
  • Options
    Mag7spy wrote: »

Maybe its copium but i think this game will have over 2m concurrent players first week.

If this comes out the way I hope it does. 2 more years and highly polished. I can agree.

As long as riot doesnt some how sneak in a release. (Not likely) Sure they will be different games, but a lot of people wont try other MMOs while currently engaged in another. In general the Riot game will likely be good enough to keep people from quitting immediately like NW.
  • Options
    worddog wrote: »
    80% of gamers are casual. I would like their wallets to be able to fund the game so I can have more content.

Please make the leveling experience enjoyable for newbies and give them plenty of interesting things to do early on.
    Most casual players will never reach max level so keep them subscribed with engaging low level content.
    Going from quest to quest to quest, never reading anything not knowing anything just mindlessly trying to progress gets boring really fast if you're not a dedicated gamer.

Can you like the study that showed 880% of gamers being casuals? Is that as a whole throughout the gaming space, mobile phones included? Is that purely for PC gamers? Does it include console gamers? Is that a study for MMO players?
  • Options
    Vyril wrote: »
    Mag7spy wrote: »

If this comes out the way I hope it does. 2 more years and highly polished. I can agree.

As long as riot doesnt some how sneak in a release. (Not likely) Sure they will be different games, but a lot of people wont try other MMOs while currently engaged in another. In general the Riot game will likely be good enough to keep people from quitting immediately like NW.

Ya whatever mmo comes out first gets all the players lmao. Riot one doesn't' interest me because its not going to have the Vibe AoC has. Though the riot one is going to eat up all the casual gamers.

IMO AoC needs to come out first so casuals can try the game before riot.
  • Options

I like your suggestion because it is about leveling has to be interesting. So you got a :+1: from me.

But I don't like reading stories and doing quests. There is no risk vs reward in them.
    And they usually simulate NPC needs instead of real need to reduce the risks.

I do not know what your definition of casual is, but "risk vs reward" is a core feature and should be present during leveling too.

If you hate risks, you are not casual. You are something else.
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Options
    Most casual players will never reach max level

Respectfully, most casual players WILL reach max level... what they won't be able to do is have the best gear, be in the best guilds or join the highest level raids. That's just what being a casual player is all about but most will enjoy the game with these limitations.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    You seem to be talking about casual challenge players, while the OP is talking about casual time players.
    Although - it's mostly pointless in any case because it's all exagerated generalization.
    There are a variety of ways for casual players to obtain the best gear and be in the best guilds.
    That's what friends are for.

Could very well be that 80% of gamers are some form of casual player: casual challenge, casual time or both.
    I doubt that 80% of MMORPG players are casual time players.

The OP appears to be concerned about Ashes having sufficient activities for players to do even when they have play seesions that are only 30 minutes or less.
  • Options
    Caww wrote: »
    Most casual players will never reach max level

Respectfully, most casual players WILL reach max level... what they won't be able to do is have the best gear, be in the best guilds or join the highest level raids. That's just what being a casual player is all about but most will enjoy the game with these limitations.

Most casual players will buy a subscription, play for a few hours, and then stop playing after 1-3 months. They will then subscribe whenever new content is released that interests them.

Blizzard said themselves that 70% of players never made it past level 10 in World of Warcraft.

Whenever a new expansion comes out, they will double or even triple their player base for 1-3 months.

Let's say that this game has a dedicated fanbase of 2 million players who will stay subscribed for 1 full year. That would be $360,000,000 USD annual revenue.

Now lets say on launch an extra 8 million casual players try out the game.
    The next month 5 million leave so now there is 3 million casual players.
    The next month 1 million.

I heard Intrepid was planning on big content releases every 6-9 months.
    So first big content release we get a resurgence of 6 million more casual players.
    The next month 3 million.
    The next month 1 million.

In total that is an additional $330,000,000 USD from casuals alone.

This is why executives try to capture the casual market. It is way easier to trick 10 million people into playing for 1 month than it is to keep 1 million people entertained for 10 months.
  • Options

This is why executives try to capture the casual market. It is way easier to trick 10 million people into playing for 1 month than it is to keep 1 million people entertained for 10 months.

I guess this is why we have shit games. Because executive are making decisions.
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Perhaps well after release they could introduce an additional subscription model for the very time causal player: a low entry subscription fee that is time capped per month
  • Options
    akabear wrote: »
    Perhaps well after release they could introduce an additional subscription model for the very time causal player: a low entry subscription fee that is time capped per month

The price doesn't matter, most casual players have plenty of disposable income that's why they spend hundreds of dollars on mobile games. (Not including people with gambling addictions that are abused by these predatory game systems.)

The game has to be fun for short periods of time. If the game is only fun when you play it for hundreds of hours than most casual players will not be interested.
  • Options

Awwww man, and they were going to try and make it as boring as possible. I'm glad they'll have seen this, so they can learn the error of their ways.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    prymortalprymortal Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    inz1b2dakbeb.jpg
    Back in my day this was a Casual player, My how things have changed.
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    You seem to be talking about casual challenge players, while the OP is talking about casual time players.

My frame of reference is the casual time player and most will reach max level chipping away at the game as they can given whatever RL commitments prevent more time spent in game. I've never seen successful servers that don't have mostly max level players after a few years of existence.
    There are a variety of ways for casual players to obtain the best gear and be in the best guilds.
    That's what friends are for.

Yes, but most never will and still be fine with it.

Although - it's mostly pointless in any case because it's all exagerated generalization.

True, but it's still fun to bloviate.....

• Options
    True, but it's still fun to bloviate.....

ms-puff-spongebob.gif
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    18x89rux54xo.jpg

This is why we shouldn't cater to casuals. Fuck em. Their moneys gonna dry up anyway according to the math.

Let the gamers game and the people who want to be catered to with drip fed content that suits their 3 hour a week solo gaming lifestyle can stick to hearthstone or whatever mobage they're on now.
    du2ljngonyuq.png
  • Options
    IronhopeIronhope Member
    edited October 2022
    I'm going to be one of the casuals if I even have the time to consistently play the game at all.

As long as I can play a valid and viable equivalent of retribution paladin, as long as the world is very immersive, the combat (both pvp and pve) fun, the questing fun, the systems viable and working as promissed and the economy fair, I will absolutely enjoy it even tho I won't ever compete in end-game content (high arena rating, getting top level gear, getting houses and boats and all kinf of stuff like that).

• Options
    The thing about AoC is casual players will be carried by higher level players and eventually level faster.
  • Options
    The last guild I led in WoW we named 'Casual Scum.' Definitely 'time casual' not 'casual play.'
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    daveywavey wrote: »

Awwww man, and they were going to try and make it as boring as possible. I'm glad they'll have seen this, so they can learn the error of their ways.

What a hardcore player finds boring, is not the same as what a casual player finds boring.
  • Options
    daveywavey wrote: »

What a hardcore player finds boring, is not the same as what a casual player finds boring.

Gathering achievements?
    Daily jumping puzzles?
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Options

My frame of reference is the casual time player and most will reach max level chipping away at the game as they can given whatever RL commitments prevent more time spent in game. I've never seen successful servers that don't have mostly max level players after a few years of existence.
    Casual time MMORPG players make it to max level in popular games like WoW and EQ and Final Fantasy.
    Even for casual time MMORPG players, it doesn't take years level to reach max level.
    So, yes... after years... most players on a server will be max level - especially games that have a level booster in the cash shop.