Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Poison Pill - PVP Loot

Gatherers keep a "poison pill" in their bags (a crafted item), creating risk for attackers. This poison pill would be disguised as a valuable gathered item, but if dropped and looted, would have severe consequences for the attacker. Maybe it would cause max corruption (regardless of the gatherer's corruption state before the gank), or maybe it would cause a one-hour debuff to health (giving the gatherer a chance to get payback), or maybe it would cause the attacker to immediately die and drop all gear.

This idea would not need to be limited to gatherers.

An added benefit of this approach is increased risk when killing non-combatants, because the poison pill would have a larger chance of dropping.

The idea is to balance risk/reward for both the attacker and gatherer.

Comments

• Options
    Why do you want further increased risk when the corruption system is already punishing?

Is there going to be a system in place so you can kill a player and have corruption gain removed to counter balance?
  • Options
    The corruption is already the big attacker risk.

Getting "max" corruption would most likely mean literal days of clearing it by death, if not more (L2 had 9999 limit and that shit took houuurs to remove by death). And at that point you gonna have XP debt that pretty much makes you lvl1.

One-hour debuff to health is already linked to the corruption penalties. Unless it was the attacker's first PK - they'll have a pretty high chance to die while corrupted and get big death penalties, which include decreased stats.

That last one is literally just trolling so I won't even interact with that one.
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »

Getting "max" corruption would most likely mean literal days of clearing it by death, if not more (L2 had 9999 limit and that shit took houuurs to remove by death). And at that point you gonna have XP debt that pretty much makes you lvl1.

One-hour debuff to health is already linked to the corruption penalties. Unless it was the attacker's first PK - they'll have a pretty high chance to die while corrupted and get big death penalties, which include decreased stats.

That last one is literally just trolling so I won't even interact with that one.

im trying to take him serious instead of just saying this idea is trash lmao.
  • Options
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    I took the first two seriously, but the "you pick it up and you fucking die on the spot and drop literally your entire gear set" is 100% a troll.
  • Options
    I took the first two seriously, but the "you pick it up and you fucking die on the spot and drop literally your entire gear set" is 100% a troll.

I didn't read that part was blind to it until you pointed it out lol.
  • Options
    Why do you want further increased risk when the corruption system is already punishing?

Does this risk exist when killing a gatherer who fights back purely as a means to reduce the drop %?
  • Options
    mcnasty wrote: »
    Does this risk exist when killing a gatherer who fights back purely as a means to reduce the drop %?
    That gatherer can always just run away. If he didn't plan on fighting back, while also not wanting to die as a green - why stand there and flag up only to die on the spot? The situation is not binary, when it comes to the victim's choice.

But if he does decide to fight back - no matter what the reason for that was, the situation is no longer a PK, it's a pvp kill, because the victim decided to make it one.
  • Options
    SongRuneSongRune Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited October 2022

So your thought is... "I should be able to remove the intended cost of staying green, and then also get the benefit of staying green"? You should just ask to remove the cost of staying green from the game.
  • Options
    That gatherer can always just run away.

Really? So if you attack someone, and they make the decision to run away, they can evade the kill and resulting loot drop? Hard to imagine you believe that, based on your MMO experience.
  • Options
    @songrune no. The thought is to increase the risk to the attacker, not reduce the risk to the gatherer, in order to better balance the risk/reward. The issue pointed out by many is that an attacker has very little risk in this scenario.
  • Options
    Really? So if you attack someone, and they make the decision to run away, they can evade the kill and resulting loot drop? Hard to imagine you believe that, based on your MMO experience.
    My experience is mainly based on good pvp and not dickwad PKing though. If I wanted to PK someone, it was usually either a guild war situation or it was a dude who was farming a location I wanted. If said dude just ran away from that location - I wouldn't chase him. I'm gonna operate under the same logic in Ashes too, even with the "you drop stuff on death" addition.

But yes, even then I've seen (and have done so myself) countless situations where the victim could just run away. When ttk is not 2 seconds it's even easier to do. AoC's ttk will supposedly be around 30 secs. If in that amount of time the victim has no way to run away (and iirc we can mount during combat) - there's a problem in the system. If every archetype doesn't have at least a single escape mechanism (that doesn't flag them up) - I'd consider that a bad design.

But even if all of that fails and the last choice of the victim is to either die green or flag up and lose half the stuff - the benefit is still on the green's side. The attacker gets fucked over in all cases but one. That one case being that their whole goal was to just kill the green. And with that kind of goal, the attacker won't be able to play for too long, precisely because of how the corruption system works currently.
  • Options
    If every archetype doesn't have at least a single escape mechanism (that doesn't flag them up) - I'd consider that a bad design.

But even if all of that fails and the last choice of the victim is to either die green or flag up and lose half the stuff - the benefit is still on the green's side. The attacker gets fucked over in all cases but one. That one case being that their whole goal was to just kill the green. And with that kind of goal, the attacker won't be able to play for too long, precisely because of how the corruption system works currently.

Agree on the escape mechanism comment. It will be interesting to test and see how it works in practice. My current view is that the attacker has much less risk in the scenario we're discussing. It doesn't seem balanced. I suspect there will be a need to increase risk for the attacker. Seems like IS sees this too, TBH.
  • Options
    @songrune no. The thought is to increase the risk to the attacker, not reduce the risk to the gatherer, in order to better balance the risk/reward. The issue pointed out by many is that an attacker has very little risk in this scenario.

The risk you want if after the kill, which the risk exist already after the kill.....

At some point you need tor realize this is a PvX game, it is not meant for you to run around without ever getting pvp'd. They have their current systems in to lower the amount of pvp and have pvp more group focused than free for all and chaotic.

So i gather yuo currently don't feel the current system is enough risk where
    1. you can't trade or put things in your storage
    2. any player can freely kill you
    3. you can't go to towns or guards attack you
    4. You have x4 the death penalty meaning you drop more items than you gained, you lose far more xp
    5. every time you pk it permanently increases how much corruption you gain per kill.
    6. You are flagged by bounty hunters and they can find you anywhere on the map
    7. Your stats get nerfed with higher corruption.

Tell me why again how the system needs more penalties in a game that is suppose to have competitive PvP?
  • Options

blah blah blah

Tell me why again how the system needs more penalties in a game that is suppose to have competitive PvP?

Balance.
  • Options

blah blah blah

Balance.

Ok so you want greens to never be attacked that is your balance as you avoid the question. Got it you are trolling and that is why you also suggest automatic death with full loot drop.

There are plenty of pve mmorpgs out there you should be good.
  • Options
    Balance.
    Could you elaborate though? Cause I can't see how the attacker is suffering less than the victim.
  • Options

Ok so you want greens to never be attacked.

No.
    you avoid the question.

No.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    To be fair, if you're hunting Greens for materials, you aren't going to carry materials with you when you set out. The worst you're risking in the long term is XP debt from being killed, and not getting to keep the materials you gained (even if you drop 100% of your materials on death, you only had the stolen materials to begin with). There is a small chance of losing your gear on death as a Red, but the chance isn't large until you're very red. You'll just bring slightly less expensive gear that you don't mind losing.

So you gank, turn red, and lose. You're dead and a bounty hunter's dancing on your corpse. You've lost...
    - Some or all of the stolen materials (and none of your own because you didn't bring any).
    - XP debt (this one's real)
    - Occasionally, the gear you're wearing (that you selected specifically to be gambled on ganking)

And... that's about it for penalties. The rest is just "preventing you from avoiding these penalties before you grind it off". This is the sort of thing that will discourage 'good' players from trying out ganking, but won't make an actual 'evil' player even flinch.
  • Options
    And at that point you gonna have XP debt that pretty much makes you lvl1.

Loss of xp really can make lose some levels or you are kidding?

• Options
    edited October 2022
    Myosotys wrote: »
    And at that point you gonna have XP debt that pretty much makes you lvl1.

Not directly, but he's definitely not kidding. Your level number won't go down, but XP debt has all of the following effects:
    The Wiki wrote:
    Experience debt (negative experience).[9]

- Skill and stat dampening.[6]
    - Lower health and mana.[6]
    - Lower gear proficiency.[6]
    - Reduction in drop rates from monsters.[10]
    (ref: Player death)

Note that we have no data on how severe these penalties will be.
  • Options
    Myosotys wrote: »
    Functionally you'll be lvl1. Your stats will be decreased that much. But again, that's only if Intrepid has a huuuuge pool of corruption that you could potentially fill up.
  • Options
    System alone isn't going to have everyone griefing. I've played plenty of pvp games and the worst has to be shadowbane with full inventory loot drops. Corruption ill stop most people and create limits on how much one can do even if they are very evil. And it is fine if those very evil people exist makes fun content.
  • Options
    @songrune agreed.

@NiKr To elaborate on balancing the risk/reward ratio for the gatherer and attacker...

For the gatherer, I believe I have read they are risking 50% of their inventory if they don't fight back. Half that (25%) if they do. Their potential reward is 100% of inventory. So R/R = .25-.50

For the attacker, they're not really risking anything for the potential reward. If they gatherer doesn't fight back, they can disengage and lose nothing. If the gatherer does fight back, the entire scenario is heavily weighted toward probability that the attacker will prevail (too wordy to elaborate on this, but let me know if you want it). So if the gatherer fights back and loses, the attacker gains 25% of the gatherer's inventory. If the gatherer fights back and wins, the attacker's loss is limited to a portion of what they're carrying. As @songrune pointed out, they are unlikely to bring much anything of value if you're attacking. So Risk is 0, reward is .25 of gatherer inventory. R/R = 0.

• Options
    You are trying to add another layer to a system we haven’t even tested yet. We have no idea of what max corruption is or looks like on death of a red player. If you make the system to unforgiving you either run into 0 PvP or you run into people who make perma red accounts and will spend more time griefing then engaging in “meaningful pvp”

I think where your point does stand is when a player attacks someone they should gain some sort of debug/corruption even if they don’t full kill there target. That is something I can get behind.

But to say no risk is involved to the red player is misleading. I think severe skill damping and chance of gear drop is severe.
  • Options
    Gatherers keep a "poison pill" in their bags (a crafted item), creating risk for attackers. This poison pill would be disguised as a valuable gathered item, but if dropped and looted, would have severe consequences for the attacker. Maybe it would cause max corruption (regardless of the gatherer's corruption state before the gank), or maybe it would cause a one-hour debuff to health (giving the gatherer a chance to get payback), or maybe it would cause the attacker to immediately die and drop all gear.

This idea would not need to be limited to gatherers.

An added benefit of this approach is increased risk when killing non-combatants, because the poison pill would have a larger chance of dropping.

The idea is to balance risk/reward for both the attacker and gatherer.

1- no

2- ill kill you and not loot you and take the spot

3- ill kill you with my alt and loot you
  • Options
    itsRyanB wrote: »
    to say no risk is involved to the red player is misleading. I think severe skill damping and chance of gear drop is severe.

Except I said no risk in the context of being able to disengage before the kill, and in that scenario there is no skill damping or gear drop.
  • Options
    itsRyanB wrote: »
    to say no risk is involved to the red player is misleading. I think severe skill damping and chance of gear drop is severe.

Except I said no risk in the context of being able to disengage before the kill, and in that scenario there is no skill damping or gear drop.

True which I agree a system for that and that alone needs to be developed but in terms of pvp to the death should remain until tested.

As long as PvE players can wear PvP gear on top there farming gear there should be no issue
  • Options
    Depraved wrote: »

Two gatherers fighting for a spot absolutely needs to be able to happen. Definitely don't want to do anything that will discourage this kind of conflict. Honestly, this is just another reason why the poison pill would be a good approach; it doesn't discourage this kind of PVP.

BTW, I'm probably going to be a crafter.

It's funny that people saying I want gatherers to have no risk seem to be blind to the fact they are asking for people to be able to hunt gatherer's with no risk.
  • Options
    Depraved wrote: »

Two gatherers fighting for a spot absolutely needs to be able to happen. Definitely don't want to do anything that will discourage this kind of conflict. Honestly, this is just another reason why the poison pill would be a good approach; it doesn't discourage this kind of PVP.

BTW, I'm probably going to be a crafter.

It's funny that people saying I want gatherers to have no risk seem to be blind to the fact they are asking for people to be able to hunt gatherer's with no risk.

if the pvp is gonna happen anyways, all u want is someone to not take ur loot if u lose. basically u gonna be bitter and resentful that someone beat u and u dont want them taking the loot reward. shame on u!
  • Options
    For the attacker, they're not really risking anything for the potential reward. If they gatherer doesn't fight back, they can disengage and lose nothing. If the gatherer does fight back, the entire scenario is heavily weighted toward probability that the attacker will prevail (too wordy to elaborate on this, but let me know if you want it). So if the gatherer fights back and loses, the attacker gains 25% of the gatherer's inventory. If the gatherer fights back and wins, the attacker's loss is limited to a portion of what they're carrying. As @songrune pointed out, they are unlikely to bring much anything of value if you're attacking. So Risk is 0, reward is .25 of gatherer inventory. R/R = 0.
    Again though, what's the attacker's goal in this situation?

Was it to just kill the green? Was it his resources? Was it the farming location?

If it's the first: as I said, the attacker won't be able to do it for too long, because they'll get hunted or get too much stat dampen due to high corruption.

If it's the second: I'd assume the goal would be to get as much as possible, right? So anything that is not a green kill would be a hit against the goal. Either you stop or the victim runs away - and you have no loot at all. If the victim fights back and you die - you've lost time (in the context of you having low-mid gear and no mats on you). If victim dies - you only got half as much as they had on them.

And in case you did manage to kill the green and loot their mats, you're now a hunted player with a ticking bomb on you. The mats you got would most likely get lost if you die and you'll lose even more gameplay time. And depending on how Intrepid designs gathering locations, you might not even be able to find mobs to clear corruption in a short amount of time, so the chances of you dying as a red go way up. So the risk gets higher.

And if it's the third: you'd only benefit from your victim running away, because the kill was never the goal. But in every other situation you'll risk more stuff. If victim fights back - you're now at lower hp and any thirds party player can kill you easier (or mob could too). If they don't fight back and die to you - you have a timer, in which you must clear corruption or your good gear will decay (assuming good gear because you came to farm). If the victim only hits you back once, guess that'd be the same as them running away, in terms of risk, but I don't see this happening as often cause imo that'd be waaay too illogical on the green's part.

Also, you don't see how much hp your victim has, so you still risk becoming a Red if you keep attacking, even if you think that your attacks shouldn't kill the victim from their lowest nameplate decay state.