Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Cooking in the Processing branch vs Crafting

pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
In the AMA Cooking was listed in the Processing branch, and I thought that a bit odd.

There was no 'Culinary' Craft, so either Cooking's end product is in the Processing branch (which doesn't make sense), or... what?

I thought it would be:
Gather: Farming, Hunting, Fishing
Processing: Milling (have your own mill?) & Prep, Butcher & Fillet
Craft: Cooking

What's y'all thought on that?

Comments

• Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think it's fine in either, but if deciding by fun factor for the maximum number of players while still keeping the interdependencies, I think it is better as it is.

As long as Hunting and Gathering are at least somewhat involved in about half or more of the potential outcomes for Cooking, this makes more sense to me than forcing it into Crafting just because it is an end-goal, because it creates two problems:

1. It means that every Master Chef, if they want to use both specializations within their Main Tree, has choices from among things they probably have MUCH less interest in.
    2. It means that everyone who wants to 'just cook to support themselves instead of having to buy food from others' is similarly 'forced' out of being able to pursue things like top tier item crafting (this is mainly an economy shift that might not apply to all games depending on playerbase, but it's likely necessary)

This answer is full of personal bias because I REALLY REALLY wanted it this way.

On the other hand, I have a friend who this might affect somewhat negatively (she MIGHT have been Cook/Weaponsmith).

I still agree with the decision. It's possible for 'final product' to come out of a Processing Branch in this case because of how exactly it is used and what it is for.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    Cooking is processing, cookies are a craft. 🤔
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    This one was unexpected to me.

I'm not overly sure what I think about it as yet. To me, it kind of diminishes the value of processors a little.

This really depends on how viable it is to be multiple professions within a tree. If it is fairly easy, it makes sense to put cooking and alchemy in as processors. If it is hard, however, it kind of doesnt. It also depends on how important specialization is, and if it impacts the end results quality or quantity.

If these were both in the crafting tree, and you didnt have much I the way of points to specialize your professions, then people would probably make a cook/alchemist and not bother too much with the rest. If specialization points affect quality, you wouldn't bother putting effort in to being a weappnsmith on this character just to make low quality weapons due to having spent your points on cooking/alchemy.

On the other hand, with it being in the processor branch, you can put all your points I to booking and/or alchemy, but still operate the other processor professions.

In this regard, how good or bad I consider this to be is basically a factor of how much of an impact a processors specialization will have on the quality of a finished item. If it has a minimal impact on it - which is my assumption - then all this would do is make it so everyone has a processor to process what ever they want.
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    It also makes your health pots and fried chicken fingers processed goods instead of crafted. Meaning they drop and get sunk under the current rules.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    FantmxFantmx Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    pyreal wrote: »
    In the AMA Cooking was listed in the Processing branch, and I thought that a bit odd.

There was no 'Culinary' Craft, so either Cooking's end product is in the Processing branch (which doesn't make sense), or... what?

I thought it would be:
    Gather: Farming, Hunting, Fishing
    Processing: Milling (have your own mill?) & Prep, Butcher & Fillet
    Craft: Cooking

What's y'all thought on that?

You are processing raw items. I would think of crafting in this sense as the creation of a complete dinner meal, while the individual parts of the meal would be the processing part. I am 100% happy with this because it makes the idea of a farm much better. I had concerns about progress if elements of a farming freehold were split between processing and crafting.
  • Options
    It also makes your health pots and fried chicken fingers processed goods instead of crafted. Meaning they drop and get sunk under the current rules.
    Resource scarcity will cause much hunger.
    We will each-other for food. :D
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack

That could be an interesting mechanic.

It means people are less likely to just fully stock up on consumables, but it could also give Intrepid the ability to make consumables more powerful than they otherewise would be.

I mean, the game is based around the notion of risk vs reward, if any consumables you have on you are at risk if you are killed, then that increases the potential reward those consumables can offer.
  • Options
    Maybe cooking and alchemy products will be used in Arcane Engineering?
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶