Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

IS there a class that will be like the Shaman From DAoC?

ILLPeonUILLPeonU Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
For those who didn't play DAoC the Shaman was a Buff/Debuff and very high Damage over time char and a lot of fun to play in large scale fights. Just curious if there was a class that might be like that here.
TwitchTV Streamer: The Hidden Dagger Inn Saturday's 5:00 PM Cst
7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/@TheHiddenDaggerInn/featured

Comments

• Options
    No one knows how the augment classes will work so hard to really gauge what anything will do since we don't know any skills.
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The firm, definitive answer to your question is:

Maybe.

We barely know anything about half of the archetypes, and all we know is subject to change.

We know even less about augments.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Here's to hoping :)
    7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

• Options
    If Steven liked L2's bards and then pushed for that kind of design for Ashes, there is a chance we'll have this type of class. L2 had 2 orc classes that were all about dots and mass scale fights, both in their buffs and their debuffs.
  • Options
    bancroftibancrofti Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Would be my princess dream a main debuffer class with a lot of DOTs that's the main role is to support the team by weakening enemies.
    Sure AoC has plenty of room for that, and I can easily see archetypes like the sorcerer, enchanter, spellmancer, and songcaller fitting in this role. I believe, even necromancer, shadowmancer, acolyte, or shaman can do it well.
    But, as our friend said, we barely know 10 skills from 4 classes right now. There is a lot of road up ahead, and when it comes the time, I believe developers will be interested in our ideas to put in the game the diversity that they spoke of.
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    If Steven liked L2's bards and then pushed for that kind of design for Ashes, there is a chance we'll have this type of class. L2 had 2 orc classes that were all about dots and mass scale fights, both in their buffs and their debuffs.

Ya I feel like I missed out with Lineage, I didn't play that one at all, Archeage a lot so I love hearing input from you guys are what lineage players saw, thank you!
    7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

• Options
    Truly there are only 8 classes and the classes don’t even come close to all the unique play style that DAoC offers you.
    With DAoC you had not only the 3 sides but you also had your weapon skills that you learned. While AOC does seem to offer something similar in the weapon style you don’t have the anywhere near 45 unique classes.

I always thought that Camelot had the most interesting character and game design because of its Point blank Blade Turning that added yet another type of support that seems to have stayed unique to it. I’m not expecting to terribly much variation in the way I’ve listed to the Character design in AOC.

Honestly speaking besides DAoC the only other game I’ve seen that offers anything like the verity in character design and build was Rift. Rift was a very good class system early on, I don’t know about today, but with Rifts roots and trees system gave you more abilities you could use depending on how deeply you spect into a tree.

Honestly speaking I think Rift had the best class system at launch of almost any game around. It was truly unique.
  • Options
    If you had a look at the 64 Classes there’s already a Shaman class

g8gput4yk8ow.jpeg

Only class not on there is a Druid type class which I would assume would come out in a later expansion
    rvid9f6vp7vl.png
  • Options
    Pyrolol wrote: »
    If you had a look at the 64 Classes there’s already a Shaman class

g8gput4yk8ow.jpeg

Only class not on there is a Druid type class which I would assume would come out in a later expansion

The fact is has the name "Shaman" is not what I meant. WoW had a shaman too, lots of games do. It was mostly a buff support with very good Damage over time abilities. Was a lot of fun for large battles and his abilities had a large area that were affected. From the game Dark Age of Camelot. I know we have someone on intrepid that will represent DAoC Idea's I believe it's Trad who loves that game.
    7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

• Options
    @ILLPeonU the shaman is a cleric + summoner. I know what you're asking though.

Would come down to augment allowances of your secondary. The Shaman in Daoc is quite versatile from mending, aug and sub. We would need more information on augmentation schools to confirm this. Could very likely be dots, hots and cc but if fungal/nature specific... cannot 100% say.
  • Options
    We don't know it yet, but if every ability can be augmented by every augment type of your second class or by every religion or race augment, then you will probably be able to recreate most classes from any other MMORPG you've played.

Let's take a look: buffs and debuffs will probably be a specialization of either the bard or the cleric, maybe even the summoner. High dot damage could be from a mage/summoner potentially if you build them this way.

Your main class will be the one basically choosing your main job (DD/tank/healer), while the second archetype will decide how you do that job exactly. If you want really high dot damage, I'd probably start with a damage class and then try to make my damage dots and add buffs and debuffs from my second archetype augments potentially.

This is total speculation, but if I were you, I'd test out classes like Warlock (mage + summoner), Sorcerer (mage + bard), maybe a Spellmancer (summoner + mage). Maybe you can build a Magician (bard + mage) on damage too if you skill correctly and get the right gear for it.

To be honest, we will have to wait and see, at least until we know all the base archetypes before we can say anything concrete.
    For the empyre !!!
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Oooh I mained a Shaman in DAoC for a while. Fun class, especially when played actively and not just used as a buff bot :smile:

So yeah, I certainly hope they have something similar.
  • Options
    The model should be Ganneyev of Dreams from MOTB. That character was something else. And defo not just a buff bot.

And would make Shapeshifting fans go moist.
    The girl watched the last of the creatures die and murmured a soft 'Thank you' to her rescuer.

The stranger's eyes lifted to the blood red cloud on the horizon.

'We have to move. It's not safe here.'
  • Options
    SoSpokeMikaSoSpokeMika Member
    edited February 11
    ILLPeonU wrote: »
    For those who didn't play DAoC the Shaman was a Buff/Debuff and very high Damage over time char and a lot of fun to play in large scale fights. Just curious if there was a class that might be like that here.

Something tell me that might be a Bard if spec'd right.