Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Another area perma flagged for PVP?

AbaratAbarat Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
edited October 2022 in General Discussion
Is this true? Nodes that have been destroyed... through siege or neglect... will be auto flagged PVP areas for some time?

Comments

• Options
    yeah for a few days and you can find hidden treasures
  • Options
    Yes. They have talked about the concept of open world battlegrounds and node ruins after a lost siege will be one of them.
  • Options
    HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Abarat wrote: »
    Is this true? Nodes that have been leveled... through siege or neglect... will be auto flagged PVP areas for some time?

If nodes atrophy or get destroyed through a siege or other event then yes. They'll become an FFA PVP zone (probably similar to the ocean where you'll get a popup window) for a period of time where successful siege members, people looking to save their materiel and the opportunistic vultures will be tousling for loot.
    du2ljngonyuq.png
  • Options
    SongRuneSongRune Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Is this true? Nodes that have been destroyed... through siege or neglect... will be auto flagged PVP areas for some time?

Yes. Less than a week if one of the absolute highest tier, most powerful nodes on the server falls. Half that for a normal one. Of course, Steven mentioned opt-in in the same answer, so... It's slightly unclear, but you shouldn't assume it won't happen.
  • Options
    TheHiddenDaggerInnTheHiddenDaggerInn Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Very small amount of time, and something that won't likely happen much at all.
    TwitchTV Streamer: The Hidden Dagger Inn Saturday's 5:00 PM Cst And
    Wednesday's at 7:00 PM Cst
    7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/@TheHiddenDaggerInn/featured
  • Options
    still. i dont believe this was outlined in the Kickstarter, are we not worried about deviations from the kickstarter?
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Neither was Open Seas PvP. People have gotten it out of their system, and this one's a much smaller instance due to being time limited, preventable, and relatively rare. There are plenty of people who are concerned about deviations from the previously stated intentions, and we saw a lot of evidence of this last month.

That said... they've said over and over "everything is subject to change", and there's no reason for the design not to evolve as long as it stays relatively consistent with the same overall vision. Even something as large is this is, on some level, 'details'. As for whether this particular change is good or not? A subject for debate. So far, most of the sentiment I've seen is that it's relatively minor, overall.
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    still. i dont believe this was outlined in the Kickstarter, are we not worried about deviations from the kickstarter?

Open world pvp battlegrounds were always a feature, what form they would take was not known until now. So it not a deviation or scope creep.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    SongRune wrote: »
    Of course, Steven mentioned opt-in in the same answer, so... It's slightly unclear, but you shouldn't assume it won't happen.

Opt-in in the sense that you choose to enter an area of ruins. I thought that was pretty clear.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    WHIT3ROS3 wrote: »
    Of course, Steven mentioned opt-in in the same answer, so... It's slightly unclear, but you shouldn't assume it won't happen.

Opt-in in the sense that you choose to enter an area of ruins. I thought that was pretty clear.

Is THAT what he meant? I'll have to rewatch it...

EDIT: Ah. So it is. He learned that he needs to say the words 'opt in zone' when describing corruption-free PvP regions. It was in fact clear. He was just also trying to trick a specific set of people, and I was confused in retrospect by it.

So it is in fact:
    "Opt-in zone": Zone which you opt into by entering.
    not:
    "Opt-in zone": Zone where the PvP 'mode' is "opt-in".

Ultimately, given what node ruins are, it really should be the first. There's no actual reason to enter them other than to fight for the stuff therein. Anything else would just result in unnecessary technical or design complexity.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Um. That is temporary; not permanent.
  • Options
    WHIT3ROS3 wrote: »

Is THAT what he meant? I'll have to rewatch it...

EDIT: Ah. So it is. He learned that he needs to say the words 'opt in zone' when describing corruption-free PvP regions. It was in fact clear. He was just also trying to trick a specific set of people, and I was confused in retrospect by it.

So it is in fact:
    "Opt-in zone": Zone which you opt into by entering.
    not:
    "Opt-in zone": Zone where the PvP 'mode' is "opt-in".

Ultimately, given what node ruins are, it really should be the first. There's no actual reason to enter them other than to fight for the stuff therein. Anything else would just result in unnecessary technical or design complexity.
    Yeah... auto-flag is not opt-in, but...

• Options
    edited October 2022
    Neither was Open Seas PvP. People have gotten it out of their system, and this one's a much smaller instance due to being time limited, preventable, and relatively rare. There are plenty of people who are concerned about deviations from the previously stated intentions, and we saw a lot of evidence of this last month.

That said... they've said over and over "everything is subject to change", and there's no reason for the design not to evolve as long as it stays relatively consistent with the same overall vision. Even something as large is this is, on some level, 'details'. As for whether this particular change is good or not? A subject for debate. So far, most of the sentiment I've seen is that it's relatively minor, overall.
    Everything is subject to change is fine. And the more time they have to develop before release, the more time they have for changes. Especially while they do not have a Lead Game Designer.

But... I don't play PvP-centric MMORPGs, like EvE-Online.
    So... changing Ashes to be a PvP-centric game means I won't be playing Ashes, either.
    Which is fine. I don't have to play every MMORPG.

It just cracks me up to rewatch the Ashen Forge interview with Steven, where I try to get Steven to say that Ashes is PvP-centric. And that I don't play EvE Online because it's too PvP-centric for me so I'm asking him to name some games that he considers to be a "murder-box"
    Then see Steven try to wiggle away from clearly stating his true vision.
    :D

These changes mean more fun for PvPers.
    That's not a bad thing.
  • Options

No. PvP zones are all the world. Consequence free PvP already exist in the form of caravans. Having a dead node be a set of ruins and PvP area for about a couple of days? Not an issue.

We also don't know how long it takes for an atrophied Node to begin accruing XP to level up to a usable node again.
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    Caravans are opt-in. You manually choose to participate.
    The Open Seas are permanent auto-flag.
    Node Ruins seem to be temporary auto-flag.
  • Options

According to kickstarter, they should have delivered the game already.
    Kickstarters should be worried that they might never get it or that they die of old age by the time is released. Apparently the new rule is to not give a deadline anymore using what excuse? That if they give one and exceed the deadline again, honor would be broken once more? And then once more?
    Maybe honor is important. Or maybe is just an excuse.
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Dygz wrote: »
    Caravans are opt-in. You manually choose to participate.
    The Open Seas are permanent auto-flag.
    Node Ruins seem to be temporary auto-flag.

I guess they are all opt in.
    when you get to the edge of the open seas, you are notified with great big letters. You opt in by proceeding.
    Same thing with node ruins i would assume.
  • Options
    Sure.
    Which is why I "opt-out" by just not playing games with that form of "opt-in".
  • Options
    Sure.

Come now Dygz, surely you can tough it out.... lol

Dont need the open seas and opt in pvp nodes to kill people.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    DarkTides wrote: »
    Sure.

Yeah, see. This is exactly the sort of mindset that drives away a certain subset of player that might otherwise be able to ease into it. This whole "It's supposed to be painful and unfun, and you're supposed to just deal with that." People without experiences that show them the value in this sort of gameplay then go "But why?" and leave. The PvP you're talking about may not even need to be painful or un-fun, but when you have this kind of reaction, you make sure they'll never find that out. It's very unproductive.
  • Options
    Sure.

Yeah, see. This is exactly the sort of mindset that drives away a certain subset of player that might otherwise be able to ease into it. This whole "It's supposed to be painful and unfun, and you're supposed to just deal with that." People without experiences that show them the value in this sort of gameplay then go "But why?" and leave. The PvP you're talking about may not even need to be painful or un-fun, but when you have this kind of reaction, you make sure they'll never find that out. It's very unproductive.

SongRune, you have been around awhile......You've never seen this before?

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Player_corruption

Not sure how you conjured up "It's supposed to be painful and unfun, and you're supposed to just deal with that." and other ramblings, when I'm pointing out something SO obviously part of the game, that having decayed nodes or nodes after being destroyed become PVP enabled zones, briefly, is a massive upset, when by comparison, you can be killed at any time, any moment, if someone wants to kill you.

I'm not saying the game has to be any way...I'm laughing that you are complaining about PVP when anyone can kill you at any time. Based on what Dygz said, he's just not going to play at all, but he's put in all of this effort and donated cash, and this is what upsets him? How?
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Sure.

Yeah, see. This is exactly the sort of mindset that drives away a certain subset of player that might otherwise be able to ease into it.

Not sure you can blame @DarkTides or anyone else for driving off a guy that has already paid at least $500.00 and repeatedly posts he WILL NOT play this game because Steven misled him in some interview two years ago.. or it is too PVP centric or whatever.

Come to think of it, @Dygz, you could gift your Alpha 2+ access to a young player who cannot afford it who would really like to opt in to stuff like this. I bet we could get permission from Intrepid so the new person does not get banned... you getting banned would not be an issue, since you will NEVER play.
  • Options
    Yeah, see. This is exactly the sort of mindset that drives away a certain subset of player that might otherwise be able to ease into it.

Not sure you can blame @DarkTides or anyone else for driving off a guy that has already paid at least $500.00 and repeatedly posts he WILL NOT play this game because Steven misled him in some interview two years ago.. or it is too PVP centric or whatever.

Well, it's never been about Dygz. It's about all the silent people who have similar perspectives and don't post them here. Dygz knows about corruption, he knows how all these systems work. He has legitimate reasons that he personally doesn't like Steven's new direction. No-one here is gonna drive away Dygz. Steven already did that, and you know what? That's fine. Personally, I'm glad Steven is clarifying his target audience rather than stringing along people who don't fit.

If he started a discussion about Corruption, sure. If he had made arguments about how it's a small temporary thing and doesn't matter much, sure. But the argument wasn't "this won't be a problem", it was "tough it out".

That said, I've realized that I called out someone who said "just tough it out", with an appeal to empathy and a broader concept of 'global community dynamics', but the type of person who says that isn't interested in the type of person it alienates. I'll back down, here.
  • Options

Well, it's never been about Dygz.

I understand what you are trying to say in general, however...

You say it is not about Dygz, but his comment was directly addressed to Dygz... by your logic he should have only been concerned by how Dygz reacted and we all know... from the incessant proclamations... how he feels.

• Options
    Personally there are a lot of people on all sides that are silent about things on both fronts. Tons of people also want a pvp game but will never post on a forum.
  • Options

It's what I would consider a battleground and that is something we have known about for quite some time. We are just learning where and when at this point. I expect more places to be designated battlegrounds in the future.
    5000x1000px_sathrago_commission_ravenjuu_1.jpg?ex=665ce6c0&is=665b9540&hm=1fa03cbbd9ea4d641eaf4ca6f133d013d392b1968d6ca9add7d433259c509d09&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    Seriously the idea of battlegrounds has been there the whole time it's really odd that people are actually side blinded by this revelation that there are areas in the open world that flag you. Heres steven talking about it as far back as 2017.
    https://youtu.be/3UIqmWTGZ2k?t=14m26s
    5000x1000px_sathrago_commission_ravenjuu_1.jpg?ex=665ce6c0&is=665b9540&hm=1fa03cbbd9ea4d641eaf4ca6f133d013d392b1968d6ca9add7d433259c509d09&
  • Options
    This was a pretty good addition to the game, now people who just got nuked can try to fight for some of the leftovers from "their own city/loot/work".

As a matter of fact, I'd rather have dozens of temporary FFA PvP zones added to the game than a permanent one.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Tough what out?
    I don't play MMORPGs that have zones with permanent auto-flag.

@Sathrago The Battlegrounds Steven described previously are temporary and opt-in - you manually choose to participate.
    "Players within that area are going to be cued with a user-interface that says, "Do you want to participate to Attack, Defend or Ignore..."
    Ignore means you are not auto-flagged.

@DarkTides I'm not upset by anything. I donated money to Ashes in order to help designers and programers work on systems I want to see in future MMORPGs, like Nodes. Doesn't matter to me whether I play the game.
    Doesn't matter to me whether the game is ever released. Especially since I have friends working on the game and some small portion of my money helps them with their work.
    I just don't play MMORPGs that have permanent auto-flag PvP zones in addition to no PvE-Only servers.

I'm still going to test Alpha 2 (and the Betas) for the systems I am interested in exploring.
  • Options
    SathragoSathrago Member
    edited October 2022

@Sathrago The Battlegrounds Steven described previously are temporary and opt-in - you manually choose to participate.
    "Players within that area are going to be cued with a user-interface that says, "Do you want to participate to Attack, Defend or Ignore..."
    Ignore means you are not auto-flagged.

Yes when you enter a battleground zone it notifies you that you will be flagged. This is both the case for a caravan and the open sea. You're problem is that one moves and is temporary while the other persists for a long or permanent duration making you, my god, have to choose to engage with it or not to engage with the areas content.

You are entitled to not liking pvp. But acting like you weren't told it would be a thing when I just posted him saying open world battlegrounds from 2017 is just dumb.