Healing

Really interested in the cleric update. I am really hoping to see more about a healer. I really want to see something different done with them. If I am honest I wonder if some mechanics in Overwatch could translate over. I think adding fun mobility, aggressive healing and damage to heal are I think fun mechanics.

I am not sure what they are planning for it but I am hoping for more then the standard mechanics

Comments

• OrymOrym Member
    edited October 2022
    Agree, looking forward to see the healer class.
    Idk if i want something completely new but a combination of what im used to from other mmos and some innovation upon that, sure.
    I hope they dont innovate too much though.

In another post i wrote a list of skills that can be good to have as healer and those reasons is in a way also why i love healing.

-Know who is priority to heal in a certain scenario
    -Be good at reading the combat to be able to use strong/important abilities in crucial situations
    -Pre-hot and pre-absorb before the damage even comes in
    -Having good movement/positioning to not be targeted as easily by the enemy.

Let me just say one thing i DO NOT like when the healer class has a mana resource that slowly fades and when its empty you cant do shit, that feels SO BAD.
    A resource required to do abilities, sure. But please dont make me being unable to regain it fairly quick and just stand there looking stupid XD
  • tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I respectfully disagree @Orym , if I understand you correctly. I don't think that a healer ought to have near infinite mana. They should have enough so that, if managed wisely, they should be able to keep a party alive under normal circumstances. But if a party overextends itself and takes on more than the party can handle, then it should be too much for the healer and the party gets wiped.

I would refer you to the early L2 system (in which I was a healer) for something that worked well.
  • Healers will be interesting. Some things I've noticed already, you will have class and weapon skills. If this is like ESO that will mean there could be a healer staff, but if not then healers can walk around with sword and board or a bow?

I don't know enough about how the stat system to say, but a healer with a bow is pretty cool.
  • Iskiab wrote: »
    Healers will be interesting. Some things I've noticed already, you will have class and weapon skills. If this is like ESO that will mean there could be a healer staff, but if not then healers can walk around with sword and board or a bow?

I don't know enough about how the stat system to say, but a healer with a bow is pretty cool.

yeah but your str will be pretty low so you wont do as much damage as physical classes using a bow. unless you can somehow augment your bow skills or regular arrows to do magic damage or you could equip str increasing gear (but then you will lack stats for healing/magic damage, and you will probably need some dex as well)
    Healers will be interesting. Some things I've noticed already, you will have class and weapon skills. If this is like ESO that will mean there could be a healer staff, but if not then healers can walk around with sword and board or a bow?

It's unlikely that skills will be decided based on weapon, so it's more likely that the weapon just allows you to basic-attack, and bows will likely require or scale with a dex stat, meaning a cleric likely won't get any damage out of it vs using a wand+focus or staff.
  • Summpwner wrote: »
    Iskiab wrote: »

It's unlikely that skills will be decided based on weapon, so it's more likely that the weapon just allows you to basic-attack, and bows will likely require or scale with a dex stat, meaning a cleric likely won't get any damage out of it vs using a wand+focus or staff.

I thought in a livestream they mentioned weapon abilities? So you'll have class abilities and weapon abilities, did I misunderstand?
    I thought in a livestream they mentioned weapon abilities? So you'll have class abilities and weapon abilities, did I misunderstand?
    There's no plans for active weapon abilities currently. You will have passives and procs though
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Weapon_skills
  • OrymOrym Member
    edited October 2022
    @tautau agree that a healer should not be able to spam heals forever without doing anything to regain said resource.

The thing I really dislike is when you can get into a situation where you is starved off mana or whatever and can just wait for it to slowly recover.

I just don't think resource management is fun when it works like that. You basically trying to prolong the inevitable state ( mana starved) by trying to spend as little as possible.

A more exiting resource management system is when you need to do something to regain it. For example a leech curse on enemies, quick damage spell, potions, temporary buff from you or a teammate or whatever.
  • tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    L2 included a dark elf mage class that had a mana-transfer skill. It was not overpowered, but the black elf could transfer mana to the main healer of the party when needed. However, you didn't need to be in the party to transfer mana, so people who multi-boxed would often have one of these DE mages on a 2nd account to follow their healer around to help.