Race & Class

2»

Comments

• worddog wrote: »
    If races have direct power associated with them, won't every class have an objectively correct race?
    If one race has the best stats for tanks, won't every tank be that race?
    If one race has the best stats for healing, won't every cleric be that race?

Are we going to see every archetype basically be the same race?

No.
    Because people will create their characters as soon as possible.
    Even before such boring meta-level knowledge will be known to the wide, public & unwashed masses.
    I remember in WoW not every alliance priest being a Dwarf either just because they had a unique fear-ward buff that would be exhausted and block one fear-effect from someone as a result.
    Was pretty cool.
    m3h60maohz8f.jpg
  • nanfoodlenanfoodle Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Orym wrote: »
    This is what im afraid of.
    I am an overthinker and litterely could not get past ESO's character customisation because of racial bonuses.

It seemed that you could actually fail at the character customisation screen,

Guild, nodes, religion and every meta augment you can change later. I don't think you can change race. Keep race to be a roleplay option not a meta option.

Yes ESO you could pick the wrong race and you will have messed up your class. I think thats by design to get you to buy race tokens. Ashes will have some awesome Augments for races but so many ways to make your class awesome with augment your skills you will find a build that will do something OP. I also am traumatized from the years of ESO =-) I have never loves and hated a game so much at the same time lol
  • LegiLegi Member
    I hope that there will be races that are better at one thing than other things.

Elves might be more dexterous, orcs might be stronger, dwarves might be sturdier.. So an elven ranger might make more damage, but a dwarven one might take a hit more. Imo this should make a difference, but it souldnt make or break a class.

What I think people need to understand is, that a character in Ashes is an investment and you wont be maxlevel in a day or even a week. Decisions matter. Its not a raidgame lobby simulator like WoW, where you will have addons that read every autoattack from the combat log and you will have parses and simulations and all that shit that made mmos worse and worse over the years. Where with every new patch you look at the tier list and swipe to create exactly that character until the next patch.

This is a mmoRPG where you will face many different situations and you wont have the perfect meta build, gear, underwear, whatever for every one of those. If you face the raidboss with your raid without conflict, the glass cannon mage might be the "meta" thing to play but what happens if another raid shows up that tries to steal it and you die to 3 arrows of a ranger?

Idk, I even hope that changing the religion and your other augments, respeccing and all that takes time and money. Maybe then we start to get rid of the meta shit and people start thinking for themselves again. Make their own builds and not just copypasta from your next balding youtuber.

But I guess im just a naive old doomer thats stuck in the good ol days.
    Well I learned today there is no racial bonuses. Steven has gone with Backgrounds so race choice is 100% cosmetic =-)
  • That would be nice. Do you have a source for this information?
    Too bad, you lose! The correct sequence was blood - blood - blood.
    Xit wrote: »
    That would be nice. Do you have a source for this information?

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Backgrounds
  • Adding combat bonuses to races ends up being inefficient for various reasons:
    many abilities do not work with varied builds
    racial bonuses could be inconsequential
    these bonuses could fit lore poorly
    giving lore accurate bonuses would be imbalanced
  • nanfoodle wrote: »
    Well I learned today there is no racial bonuses. Steven has gone with Backgrounds so race choice is 100% cosmetic =-)

Huge downgrade to the world building honestly
    Caeryl wrote: »
    nanfoodle wrote: »

How so?

How so?

A fantasy game where the vastly different races are mechanically identical makes for a nonsensical approach to the game world both mechanically and narratively.

How is anyone going to say with a straight face that it isn’t weird that a ‘stocky, classic tolkein trope’ dwarf has the same physiological base as a literal animal-person?

Culture doesn’t give you fur and it doesn’t make you half the height of other races.

How so?

A fantasy game where the vastly different races are mechanically identical makes for a nonsensical approach to the game world both mechanically and narratively.

How is anyone going to say with a straight face that it isn’t weird that a ‘stocky, classic tolkein trope’ dwarf has the same physiological base as a literal animal-person?

Culture doesn’t give you fur and it doesn’t make you half the height of other races.

I get that, but is it fun? This is a game and I have played games like ESO where you are piggin holed into a race because you want to play X class. All of a sudden you have mostly Dwarf Tanks and only Elf casters. I used to love great race abilities. Games often end up toning down these things for balance to the point they dont mean anything. Again, at what point is that fun?

How so?

I get that, but is it fun? This is a game and I have played games like ESO where you are piggin holed into a race because you want to play X class. All of a sudden you have mostly Dwarf Tanks and only Elf casters. I used to love great race abilities. Games often end up toning down these things for balance to the point they dont mean anything. Again, at what point is that fun?

Yes, it’s fun to work within the framework of a complex fantasy world that provides realistic bonuses that differ from one wildly different race to another.

It’s also very strange that you’d cite ESO of all game as restrictive. You can do 99% of all content in that game with whatever race you want. Maybe you won’t be setting top scores in the veteran hardmodes +3 or whatever, but you can absolutely clear that content.

It makes zero sense and is weird that dwarves have no actual difference from elves or tulnar, even elves from each other.

Sure obviously don’t break the damn game with OP racials but they shouldn’t just be reskins all alike with one another.