Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Stamina as a defensive resource for active dodge and block

I've always found that having a active defensive options are more fun than passive. We already know that passive blocking is likely to be in the game, but the fact that passive block/parry exists doesn't mean we can't have active block/parry.

In fact, if it were a tradeoff decision to put skill points into increasing active-dodge vs passive-dodge or active-block vs passive-block, that would be a significant choice. It would also allow for dodging/blocking by less twitch oriented players. This is probably worth a thread all by itself

We saw in the ranger demo that water bolts would track the player has they moved. I'm all for iframes in dodging as long as we can't be all rolly-polly the way we could in ESO. This can be served by putting a cooldown on dodging with a set number of charges (2-3) on the dodge. But if other active defenses exist, they need to share a resource with dodge. Otherwise we'll just have people dodge until it's on cooldown, then use blocking/parry, then back to dodge cooldowns while regenning block resources.

A "stamina" bar that is used up doing various athletic/defensive things: dodging, active-block/parry, breaking stun, sprinting, etc. If you've played ESO, you probably see where I'm going with this. BUT one key difference is that this stamina should not be used for attacks. It's a limited resource that regens with time (probably modified by class or skill picks).

Heavier armor and larger shields could modify cost and effect of dodge negatively (roll less distance and costs more), while affecting the cost and effect of blocking in positive way.

For example (numbers NOT BALANCED): Everyone has 100 stamina and regens 10 stam/sec

* Dodging in the lightest armor/weapons out there costs 20 stam
* Dodging in a mix of leather and chain costs 30 stam
* Dodging in the heaviest armor and shield costs 40 stam
* * Optional, allow dodging while it's on cooldown, but it costs 50-100% more stam

* Sprinting costs 10 stam/sec, and locks out most abilities
* Holding block costs 10 stam/sec, and has various disadvantages: limits abilities, slows movement, etc.
* Getting hit while blocking costs 5 stam, with a .5s cooldown. Max extra cost 10 stam/sec
* Breaking stun/CC costs 50 stam (needs to be pretty high, because dodging/blocking CC should always be more beneficial than breaking out of it)
* Optional, breaking roots/snares costs ?? (ground field snares should not be breakable, roll out of them)

I'm not sure parry (aka blocking without a shield) is at all an option in the game, but it would have costs similar to blocking. As a tanky melee-staff or 2h weapon flavor option. 1h/s should be more defensive though.

Comments

• Options
    StreviStrevi Member
    edited October 2022
    Spif wrote: »
    BUT one key difference is that this stamina should not be used for attacks. It's a limited resource that regens with time (probably modified by class or skill picks).

Why not? I can see it as being used also for powerful attacks and then, defense would not be possible for a while.
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Options
    I would rather just have defensive skills. The skill and augment system is already going to be pretty complex. Adding another layer just seems like overkill.
  • Options
    SpifSpif Member
    edited October 2022
    Strevi wrote: »
    Spif wrote: »
    BUT one key difference is that this stamina should not be used for attacks. It's a limited resource that regens with time (probably modified by class or skill picks).

Why not? I can see it as being used also for powerful attacks and then, defense would not be possible for a while.

We haven't really seen what kind of resources are going to be used for abilities, but I'd expect mages to use mana, rogues might use an energy/point system, etc. Unless all classes are giving up their offensive resources for defense, you'd end up with the problem ESO had. Stamina-based classes used stamina for offense and defense. Magicka based classes used magicka for abilities and had stamina just for defense. They made it work, but there were many balancing issues.

In a GW2 system without active block or sprint, just having "dodge points" worked

I'm hoping that different classes will be using different types of resources, and I don't think that all of those will mesh well with being used for defense (IE, anything like WoW-Warrior-Rage would be a problem).

There's a wiki section on universal skills that tells us we're possibly going to have these things, I'm just trying to give an idea for a spendable resources used for them:

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Skills#Universal_skills

"Outside of your class-specific skill tree, there's going to be a subsection of a few skills that are universal, like active block, like dodge; and I think what we're going to do- or at least what we're going to be discussing here- is those universal skills will have progressions that might align with your passive tree; and you can spec skill points into progressing additional features of those universal abilities that you will have access to. So I think that's probably going to be the direction that we're going to take.[38] – Steven Sharif"