Proposal and ideas regarding pvp in order to avoid griefing.

1235»

Comments

• StreviStrevi Member
    edited October 2022
    NiKr wrote: »
    But maybe this is yet another niche thing that is only true in my experience. @JamesSunderland @George_Black @tautau when you hear "training mobs" what's the first association that comes to your mind?
    fun! "Traaaain!" :D
    (sorry to interfere.. I could not resist)
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Strevi wrote: »
    fun! "Traaaain!" :D
    (sorry to interfere.. I could not resist)
    1qm8ynj2a281.gif

Also, you coulda said "sorry to DERAIL the conversation". Woulda been perfect.
  • Random guys making posts nowing nothing about Corruption System.

Its so boring already.
    Nric
  • Now when you hear "ding" what you think about? PvP? Corruption System?
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited October 2022

We all have different experiences and have used different saying to explain the same things. The fact that americanized side of english-speaking internet decided to use "training" in a particular fashion doesn't really give them the rights to monopolize how the concept behind that phrase should be called.
    See, without knowing it, you (and potentially the L2 community as a whole) have taken a specific phrase (training mobs), and only latched on to one aspect of it, because it was the only one that was relevant to the specific game you were playing.

This isnt an incorrect use of the term, it is simply a partial understanding of the term. It was used in the manner you are talking about in EQ, though the mob train specifically was the mobs en route to the group - the group would be stationary and a puller (usually a monk) would bring mobs in to the kill zone. Since that was a similar function to a mob train where a player would run from a some in point to a zone out point and just not care about mobs they aggro'd, the term was also used there.

Same with when you feign dead around a group of players while you have a mob train on you, setting them on said players.

A train is, in fact, the mobs. Not the action. I mean, when you see someone running along with 20 boars chasing behind them, all running fairly closely to each other in a line, a train is just what it is (the naming should be obvious).

Now, we can agree that there are three distinct actions where the term "train" is used in an MMO. This makes it one of those things where the same thing has different meanings. From that, we could then agree that a term may be needed to differentiate each meaning - if context is not able to do that (it is, in this case).

However, if we did indeed decide to come up with a term for each of those three situations, what we would not do is use another term that is already in use in MMO's, and mob drop has been in use even longer than mob train. Indeed just the word 'drop' in an MMO context suggests loot is on offer to someone.

As such, even if we were to come up with terms for those three situations where mob train is used (which we are ot, because context has it covered), mob drop would not be one of the terms we would consider, because it is already taken.
  • Noaani wrote: »
    Why don't I see you being this much of a stickler every time some new person keeps calling archetypes classes?
    Because for the most part, these terms are interchangeable.
    Also, you didn't give the example for what "mob dropping" means to you.
    Google "MMO mob drop".

That is what it means to basically every MMO player. I would wager that is what it means to you, as well.

If you want to save a Google search, "mob" is shorthand for mobile object, and refers to any computer controlled mobile entity (technically speaking).

In an MMO, a drop is any item obtained from the environment.

As such, a mob drop (keep in mind, mob drop was the original phrasing) is an item obtained from defeating a mobile object, or mob.

There is more nuance to it than that, but that has been the basics for 25 or so years.

The reason I am not letting (and will not let) it go is because it is the basics of language and communication.

The quote inposted in my above post is literally the same thing. I took words and attributed other words in their place. I know what I was saying in that quote, and I know who the quote is from. The fact that others dont is purely because I opted to not use the commonly accepted words that have a meaning we all agree on and understand.

Words and phrases having agreed upon meanings is literally the foundation of civilization. Imagine - just for a moment - if that system fell down.

how about agro dropping or agro training? which one makes sense.

mob dropping and mob's droppings are 2 different things :D
  • Strevi wrote: »
    Now when you hear "ding" what you think about? PvP? Corruption System?

you say ding when you level up :D
  • akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Vaknar wrote: »
    Hello all! Lots of big thoughts in here. I thought I'd stop by and share a well written post Steven wrote on that YouTube video, which can be found here

Much of the Ashes corruption system has taken into account these concerns. In my experience with similar flagging systems, such as that of L2’s, there were very apparent flaws in implementation.

Some of the adjustments that have been made for Ashes’ approach to open world flagging system is as follows;

- Working corruption off through exp grinding also takes significantly longer than L2, and during that time we’ve created a bounty system that reveals corrupt player locations on the map.

I hope this provides some insight into the system that Lucky Ghost may not have highlighted in the video. Carry on! ^_^

In L2, I recall working off karma taking 30-90min, followed by the sin eater quest 1-3 times after (as specific quest to cleanse the pk count ) plus another 1-3x 20min.. So, if AoC will make the grind to work off karma significantly longer and /or harder, I think the novelty and/or utility of pk`ing will be discounted quite quickly and pk`ing will become a rare or a non-event.
  • tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Yes, when I think 'Train' I think L2. I think of it in two contexts:

- Being trained, for example when I was with a group in a catacomb someone would try to drop a train on us for whatever reason. Whoever saw it would say 'train' and we would all freeze and the trainer would be stuck with the train and sometimes die...served them right.

- Training bots. Gather a group of mobs and use fake death to drop them on a bot, then pick up their drops. Early in L2 I ran a nicely profitable D- and C- grade shots store from crushing the gear dropped by bots and I felt I was also contributing to a cleaner game.
  • If you're signed up to participate in Alpha 2, please consider role-playing as a massive griefer. Start fights in towns. Freak out low level folks by attacking them. Ambush other groups' healers during fights. Group up with others to try to monopolize points of interest. I think we're all curious to see how well the corruption system discourages stuff like that.

Personally, I don't mind "always on" PVP. Getting killed by pirates keeps things spicy. But I think everyone will benefit if the developers have good data on the kinds of interactions their PVP system allows/encourages.
  • DepravedDepraved Member
    edited October 2022
    sir, yes sir. >:)>:)>:)>:)>:)

also, i wouldnt be roleplaying :D:D
  • AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Craiken wrote: »
    If you're signed up to participate in Alpha 2, please consider role-playing as a massive griefer. Start fights in towns. Freak out low level folks by attacking them. Ambush other groups' healers during fights. Group up with others to try to monopolize points of interest. I think we're all curious to see how well the corruption system discourages stuff like that.

Personally, I don't mind "always on" PVP. Getting killed by pirates keeps things spicy. But I think everyone will benefit if the developers have good data on the kinds of interactions their PVP system allows/encourages.

I certainly plan to roleplay as a heartless arrogant Empyrean merchant warlord who calculates the worth of the livelihood of anyone who is not an ally/family or citizen of the same node before deciding how to interact with them.

Which is notably different from my rl self, in that 'tis not Empyrean.

Point is, help with Corruption testing!
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

Depraved wrote: »
    Noaani wrote: »
    Why don't I see you being this much of a stickler every time some new person keeps calling archetypes classes?
    Google "MMO mob drop".

That is what it means to basically every MMO player. I would wager that is what it means to you, as well.

If you want to save a Google search, "mob" is shorthand for mobile object, and refers to any computer controlled mobile entity (technically speaking).

As such, a mob drop (keep in mind, mob drop was the original phrasing) is an item obtained from defeating a mobile object, or mob.

There is more nuance to it than that, but that has been the basics for 25 or so years.

The reason I am not letting (and will not let) it go is because it is the basics of language and communication.

The quote inposted in my above post is literally the same thing. I took words and attributed other words in their place. I know what I was saying in that quote, and I know who the quote is from. The fact that others dont is purely because I opted to not use the commonly accepted words that have a meaning we all agree on and understand.

Words and phrases having agreed upon meanings is literally the foundation of civilization. Imagine - just for a moment - if that system fell down.

Agro training is a term often used for setting a train of mobs on to other players. Specifically when you are using the agro radius of the mobs and not relying on your victim AoE'ing the train.
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Please @NiKr
    I try to stay out of threads with "proposal" and "griefing" in the title.
    Mob training? SK with agro confusion freezing strike and lightning strike.
    Fake death trains. Non of which was a prob for as, as we had a warlord in our party.
  • VoeltzVoeltz Member
    edited October 2022

1- they cleansed the corruption before you came back to the same spot and now they are green again.

2- ok you move out of the way, the mobs reset and they do it again, now you cant farm until you deal with the issue.

3- they were green when you found them.

remember the game is based on risk vs reward. so modifications must follow this principle. cant have little or no risk while keeping all the rewards.

How could they have possibly cleansed their corruption that fast? That's not how it works. In reality, you would have forced them to leave the farm spot to go cleanse their corruption for 30 minutes if not longer while you get to continue to farm the spot free of hassle. This is a win. Where's the problem?

So then you deal with the issue. As you say, there is a risk vs. Reward system and you can choose how you want to deal with the situation.

Ok so then they're green again? Same exact point as your first.

There is clearly still risk vs. Reward in what I described, just in a different format vs. the one you're trying to argue for. Your arguments have giant holes in them because you ignore or are ignorant to key systems that exist such as corruption and the time it takes to cleanse it. I recommend reading the wiki or researching it more
  • @Noaani well, as indicated by 2 of the resident L2ers, I'm yet again just a unique snowflake that has had a completely different experience to everyone else :D

I still disagree with your fervor of trying to make Depraved change his phrasing, but I admit that everyone but my circle of people (and apparently Depraved's) uses train to indicate reagroing a ton of mobs onto other people.
  • NiKr wrote: »
    Voeltz wrote: »
    Let's be honest, nobody that is trying to get rid of a player from an area just hits them a few times. Come on now.
    Except I've done so countless times in L2. Though it was mainly me farming a location, seeing someone approach it and just hitting them preemptively to let them know that I'm ready to fight them for the location.

And I'd hit the original farmer of the location to see (and let them know) how hard I'm hitting him. If I hit him for 10-20% of his hp - he'll either run away to save on travel time (in the context of this happening deep in a dungeon) or he'll let me hit him until the mobs or I kill him. Depending on the mobs in that location, more often than not it'd be the mobs killing him and I'd get no corruption.
    If you really want to go down that road, you can make it so the amount of corruption/negative rep is decided by how much you contributed to their death just like it is killing mobs with other players
    There'll be 85 nodes. Even if 10-20 of those are your "allies" and/or have some goods that are useful to you and you want to trade with them, there'd still be 60 nodes that you can do whatever you want in and not care about the reputation.

If we're talking solo PKing, you'd already get the maximum of corruption, so no change there. If it's party PKing, they'd most likely just have a designated killer and at most a healer who'd help him out once in a while. With lessened penalties those parties would give even fewer shits about the corruption than they would right now. Especially considering that no matter who they attack or what their target does - they'll always become corrupted, because there's no combatant state in your suggestion (well, on the victim's side that is), so the group would always know what they're doing and what the result will be when attacking others.

Ok, but that's not an effective way of getting rid of someone from the area, you're just "warning them". Sounds like you played with a bunch of care bears who were afraid to fight in a system that rewards fighting. That was not my experience in Archeage. Hardly anyone would just stand there and take it or run like a wimp. Nevertheless, clearly there were flaws in the system you're describing if you were "more often than not" able to get people low and then have mobs finish them off to avoid corruption. Basically, you're advocating for a system you were able to exploit because it benefitted you. Makes sense. Thanks for making my point for me.

Exactly, that's why there's corruption. Corruption is universal and node reputation is local/regional. Node reputation is not meant to fight world crime, that's implied in the word Node and you should know that if you know what a node is.

So now it's a 1v2 situation vs a 1vGroup situation in which the solo player has a better chance of winning and even if they don't, the 2 that killed him still gain corruption. Not sure why the solo player is trying to take on a whole group by themselves, but ok fine that's the scenario you're going with. The same exact thing can be done with the existing corruption system. Where's the issue? And yes, there is a combatant state as I said, it's just used to mark an attacker. Attackers (purple) vs defenders (green).
    And they don't know what they're getting into with the current system? Why are you against people knowing what the results are of killing people? What a nonsensical argument
  • NiKr wrote: »
    But maybe this is yet another niche thing that is only true in my experience. @JamesSunderland @George_Black @tautau when you hear "training mobs" what's the first association that comes to your mind?

Basically luring large quantities of monsters, may it be with the intention of farming them with your party or literally relogin/Fake Deathing near other people to make the monsters kill them.
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • Voeltz wrote: »
    Ok, but that's not an effective way of getting rid of someone from the area, you're just "warning them". Sounds like you played with a bunch of care bears who were afraid to fight in a system that rewards fighting. That was not my experience in Archeage. Hardly anyone would just stand there and take it or run like a wimp.
    I didn't say that this was the only way to remove someone or that no one fought back. Quite a lot of people did the same thing as me and tried to attack me first so we'd just pvp. I was just giving an example that I did the thing no one does and it sometimes even worked ("countless times" throughout 12 years of playing is not necessarily all the time).
    Nevertheless, clearly there were flaws in the system you're describing if you were "more often than not" able to get people low and then have mobs finish them off to avoid corruption. Basically, you're advocating for a system you were able to exploit because it benefitted you. Makes sense. Thanks for making my point for me.
    And yet Steven still allowed this action in his current system. Hell, he even made it easier to achieve because you now see how low a person's hp is (even if you don't know exact value). In L2 you had 0 clue about your target's hp so it was even harder to avoid corruption than it will be in Ashes.

And again, this was mainly happening against people who decided to not fight back. Those who did fight back would just outrun the mobs and would try to pull me into them too, so that mobs might switch to me.
    So now it's a 1v2 situation vs a 1vGroup situation in which the solo player has a better chance of winning and even if they don't, the 2 that killed him still gain corruption. Not sure why the solo player is trying to take on a whole group by themselves, but ok fine that's the scenario you're going with. The same exact thing can be done with the existing corruption system. Where's the issue?
    I was talking about a group of people PKing solos (because if they attacked a group, the group would most likely just fight back). You suggested shared corruption to which I said "the group would just have a killer who'd get all the corruption. And maaaybe the party's healer would help out if needed, so he'd get a bit of corruption too".

In the current system there's no corruption sharing so only the killer would get the corruption.
    And yes, there is a combatant state as I said, it's just used to mark an attacker. Attackers (purple) vs defenders (green).
    And they don't know what they're getting into with the current system? Why are you against people knowing what the results are of killing people? What a nonsensical argument
    I said that the attackers would always become corrupted if they killed their target, even if the target fought back. So functionally there'd be no combatants. Your party got attacked by another party? As long as you just fight back against the flagged players, you don't flag back up and they'll get corruption if you die.

And I never said that people wouldn't know what they're doing. I said the parties who'd be PKing in the current system would most likely PK even more in yours, because the penalties are weaker. So your suggestion would only lead to more "griefing", all while not giving victims a chance to drop less stuff on death.
    Google "MMO mob drop".

Agro training is a term often used for setting a train of mobs on to other players. Specifically when you are using the agro radius of the mobs and not relying on your victim AoE'ing the train.

the tank trained the aggro of the boss, and all the players in the raid died when it attacked them.

OR

the tank dropped the aggro of the boss, and all the players in the raid died when it attacked them.
  • Arya_YesheArya_Yeshe Member
    edited October 2022
    Don't want to get murdered by an opposing guild?

How about starting to work with your own guild first?
    Treat the MMO as a MMO, recruit PVPers... set PVP teams... set a team of people in the guild that goes for roams.

This is good content, you come for the game but you stay because the people, work together with your guildies and friends and fight off the PVPers of the other guilds.

It's not hard, truly is not hard.

Stop whinning about the company doing this or that, ask yourself:
    - Am I considering this game as a MMO or a single player in creative mode?

Look the people around you, they are the content, they can fix you up.
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Arya_YesheArya_Yeshe Member
    edited October 2022
    As players we can gather intel about the area, we can send a ping to the guild saying:
    - There's a guy here, he killed me last week.... yata yata

Call in the PVPers, call in the assassins, straight off the textbook!
    Farm your materials and call the PVPers from your guild, give them a tip, could be just a bit of materials as a reward for their good service to the guild.

It's good content, I promise.
  • You guys have to understand that the players have more power than you think.

What you can do gameplaywise:
    - form alliances with other guilds
    - befriend your local PVPers
    - gather intel, take down the names, hunt people later
    - find people to work together with you or join them

It is not set in stone that your place is being killed over and over, you can easily switch sides and make new frends or make new partnerships.
    Google "MMO mob drop".

the tank trained the aggro of the boss, and all the players in the raid died when it attacked them.

OR

the tank dropped the aggro of the boss, and all the players in the raid died when it attacked them.

Neither of these are correct. I mean, you are talking about a different thing now.

If you are working on a raid encounter and the tank unwillingly lost aggro, it isnt a train, and it isnt that the tank dropped aggro. The tank lost aggro, as I said above.

Now, if the tank purposely pulled a mob or a group of mobs, dragged them to the raid and then purposely lost aggro on them (there are a number of ways to do this), you could say your tank trained your raid - or you could just say you are looking for a new tank.
  • or you can say the tank dropped the aggro.

im starting to believe there is no hope for you.

maybe you can understand it like this:

when you are in jail, you dont want to drop the soap :D
    or you can say the tank dropped the aggro.

You are starting to believe there is no hope for me?

After discussion, I know what you are talking about. I am attempting to educate you in correct terminology. I don't care what terms you and your friends use among each other, I am trying to teach you the long standing terms that literally tens of millions of people use.

You are the one failing to understand that.

And you claim that you believe there is no hope for me.
    or you can say the tank dropped the aggro.

You are starting to believe there is no hope for me?

After discussion, I know what you are talking about. I am attempting to educate you in correct terminology. I don't care what terms you and your friends use among each other, I am trying to teach you the long standing terms that literally tens of millions of people use.

You are the one failing to understand that.

And you claim that you believe there is no hope for me.

ive never changed the language, or terminology, or anything (and btw thats how languages evolve, imagine if that didnt happen)

if i typed here "i dropped a biscuit on my pants, and now i have to change them", you would understand one thing, but a brit would understand something different. who is right and who is wrong? why should one group use the definition of the other group?

what if someone said "top of the morning". should that person stop using that phrase because usa has a bigger population and people dont know what that is?

a group of people agreed on a term and it suck, no matter if that group isnt as big as another one, and thats the term we will keep using. imagine tryign to force someone to speak the way you want...

also, mob training makes sense when you are pulling, but it doesnt when you drop the aggro to kill someone else (lets say using stealth or something similar).

dont bother replying. this is pointless.