Request for a large variety of intermediate crafting items.

DiamahtDiamaht Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
I'm hoping with the crafting system there is a large variety of intermediate items that are used to make final products.

Eve Online, for example, has a fantastic player economy and market system but it suffers from poor to non-existing profits for actual producers. Sometimes it can be difficult to actually find something to make that will net a large enough profit to warrant the effort or even offer a profit at all.

Part of the issue is that the market, for the most part, is driven from a single market hub. Also part of the issue is that players mistake the time taken gathering as "free" so they undercut themselves when selling materials. However, I think the largest issue is that the same list of basic materials are used to directly build everything. For example if the price of Tritanium goes up, the price of everything goes up equally so nothing truly changes (except of course mission runners becoming poorer as their bounty payouts become less valuable).

Having a large variety of intermediate products interlaced in the economy, all using different materials in different quantities, causes market changes to influence prices in a more diverse way. Temporary scarcity of a raw material will have a small impact on one final product while having a huge impact on another. This create more chaos and opportunities for profit as prices fluctuate.

Comments

• Do suggest reading this particular page.
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Crafting
  • DiamahtDiamaht Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    Yeah I've looked at the Ashes wiki. It talks about processing, but the way it's described is as a time gate (ie waiting to turn Iron into an Ingot). On the other hand it doesn't talk about intermediate products.

It references SWG which had intermediate products but it only talks about the time gate of processing but not the crafted components.
  • Ah, I see what you mean, I misread the OP. Yeah, don't think they've mentioned if we'll have alternative ways to craft the same item. Would definitely be nice if we did.
  • FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    @Diamaht
    We are going to use lower tier items to make higher tier items. The only quote that I could find on it in a few minutes of looking was: "Specific and necessary crafting materials for higher tier items can only be obtained through the deconstruction of lower-tier items. This is designed to keep lower tier crafted gear relevant through progression and across expansions.[32]"https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Weapons

As far as there being a large or wide variety of low and mid tier items, I don't think we have been specifically told; but, it seems like they are going in that direction.