Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

open dungeon boss respawn timers

will open dungeons have some kind of system in place to reset the players that kill the boss? such as teleport everyone out of the dungeon after its killed to reset and have to start from the begining or should we expect to just have players camp and kill the boss all day? and what kind of respawn timers are we expecting on boss's?

Comments

• Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    edited October 2022
    I'm fairly sure boss timers will be, at the very least, 12++h if not 24+.

You're not supposed to fight the boss over and over. Also, no teleports.
  • Options
    If there is a boss timer it should be random so you can’t just go back 12 hours later which essentially is another way of camping the boss. Maybe mini bosses could re spawn over and over but definitely not main bosses.
  • Options
    Lust69 wrote: »
    If there is a boss timer it should be random so you can’t just go back 12 hours later which essentially is another way of camping the boss. Maybe mini bosses could re spawn over and over but definitely not main bosses.
    Yep, definitely need a +- a few hours or at least even 30 minutes.
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure boss timers will be, at the very least, 12++h if not 24+.

You're not supposed to fight the boss over and over. Also, no teleports.

maybe for world boss's that roam but i doubt we see 12 hour timers for standard end game open dungeons
  • Options
    im sure we gonna be able to kill them once a day
  • Options
    SongRuneSongRune Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    For bosses that can be "daily": 20 hours +/- 4. This means you have to waste your whole play session camping the boss to see if it's respawned. If you don't, it'll be up for someone else to claim before you can gather your whole group again.

For bosses that need to respawn "quickly":

Option #1: Respawn 20 +/- 5 minutes after no-one is in the boss room anymore. They now have to wait outside and grind the mobs (so the mobs don't grind them). Other groups who are interested in joining now have plenty of time, and a normal space to PvP them for the next slot.

Option #2: Teleport them out of the dungeon, as you said.

Option #2.1: The boss chamber entrance is one way (but the next group can see if the boss is present), and WHEN YOU KILL THE BOSS you are shifted to an instance until you leave. Next group can enter immediately, but you won't see their boss. (This is a slightly more immersive version of the Teleport. Both lose the PvP potential of camping to attack the next group, but this one is seamless. Only meaningful if you want that sort of thing.)

Option #3: The boss doesn't spawn on its own. You need to pop it with an item that you get from grinding the mobs on the way (the end mobs of the dungeon? the middle mobs of the dungeon? depends how easy you want it to be to repeat). When it spawns, it consumes everyone's copy of the item (but doesn't require everyone to have had a copy). Now you can go back and grind another pop item (not necessarily even hard to get as a drop, just a bit far away and you have to go through mobs). If another group was on their way in, they'll already have one, and be spawning the boss before you got your new pop.
  • Options
    Do I understand correctly that there's no instanced raids?
  • Options
    HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One

The devs are aiming for an 80/20 split on open world/instanced encounters. The instanced ones are mainly story driven (not loot)
    lsb9nxihx5vc.png
  • Options
    What should really happen when you defeat a boss?
  • Options
    Natasha wrote: »

The devs are aiming for an 80/20 split on open world/instanced encounters. The instanced ones are mainly story driven (not loot)

why no anime this time? :(
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Will not be much value of the boss bounty if the respawn is daily.

Want to see a wide range of respawn period from daily, weekly, monthly and some quarterly as well as conditional situation required, events, and just plain random ones.

Respawn time X period +/- 10% to mix it up!

And the true, best gear only dropped from the most difficult raids to gain access to as well as complete!
  • Options
    hope for different spawntimes and different places.
  • Options
    HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Depraved wrote: »

Not everything needs anime

mc6r1j6i01sm.gif
    lsb9nxihx5vc.png
  • Options
    8mxjgae77nhj.gif
  • Options
    Depraved wrote: »

mc6r1j6i01sm.gif

wrong ;v
  • Options
    WhyFourWhyFour Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    In Ragnarok Online every elite and boss mob had his own timer to respawn. For example in first dungeon, Golden Thief Bug had respawn time around 60-70 min. But in more harder Kiel Dungeon, Kiel respawn time was something around 120-180 min. So ofc you could resp camp bosses, but it took time that someone else could get him first.

Ah and also bosses had few spots were they respawn, so this also added to race for kill ;)
    English is not my first language, but i try to write properly.1lemnjk9va5y.gif
  • Options
    SongRuneSongRune Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I'm going to take advantage of this thread to talk about something else I've been wanting to which is related: 24 hour timers.

If you want players to be able to do something only once per day, don't set a 24 hour lockout. In practice, that means that if I do the thing at 8pm, then the next day I end up doing it at 8:15, cause I have other things going on. Later, it'll be at 9pm, eventually at 10pm. You get the idea. It makes play sessions inflexible, and forces players to skip days to reset their timer.

Set a 20 hour lockout instead. If I do the thing at 8pm most days, but today I can't log in until 9pm? No worries, it'll be ready to go at 5pm tomorrow, so I can play any time during my usual block. Humans need to sleep, so even if you can abuse this to do it twice in a calendar day, once in a while, it's still effectively "once per day" for most people, without the stress of perfectly scheduling your play sessions, and with less difficulty syncing up with friends if it's that sort of activity.

Daily rewards ruin games, and daily reward quests are essentially the same thing, but there are other places and reasons to use this sort of system, and 20 hours is almost always better for lockout timers than 24.
  • Options
    I think new ways of handling spawns needs to happen, so things arent so static.
  • Options
    xMrWoolfxMrWoolf Member
    edited October 2022
    i agree.. random respawn timers would actually be real nice maybe small dungeons 15-45 minutes randomly generated and higher tier dungeons 1-3hours and then end game dungeons 3-9 hours with world bosses being 12-24 hours. just so that its not predictable and people sit around grinding the boss every 17 minutes
  • Options
    It doesnt necessarily have to just be for spawn timers... it could apply to the mobs themselves, and where they spawn, based on our interactions within the world.

If we kill a boss in a certain area, that boss should be gone if killed and doesnt somehow get away...in which case, each outcome should trigger some other event.

Maybe defeat some boss and he retreats to the void, to regain strength. The next time he shows up, it could be somewhere else...furthest from player nodes....then the territories around where he arrived begin to change, indicating their return...

So many different ways to make these kinda things happen.
  • Options
    VyrilVyril Member
    edited October 2022
  • Options
    Vyril wrote: »
    Ah, I shouldn't have refreshed the page. Was just about to respond to your comment saying that the whole point of owpvp is to have soft friction that facilitates said pvp and scarce resources and long respawns facilitate that soft friction.
  • Options
    the down side though is i could see people continuously running the dungeon 1-2 times a day and never seeing the boss lol dont really think its a issue but just worth mentioning
  • Options
    DarkTidesDarkTides Member
    edited October 2022
    They could avoid applying the same method of how respawns are handled to absolutely everything.

There needs to be a new way to handle "camps" imo, so things dont seem too unrealistic
  • Options
    SavicSavic Member
    edited October 2022
    SongRune wrote: »
    Option #3: The boss doesn't spawn on its own. You need to pop it with an item that you get from grinding the mobs on the way (the end mobs of the dungeon? the middle mobs of the dungeon? depends how easy you want it to be to repeat). When it spawns, it consumes everyone's copy of the item (but doesn't require everyone to have had a copy). Now you can go back and grind another pop item (not necessarily even hard to get as a drop, just a bit far away and you have to go through mobs). If another group was on their way in, they'll already have one, and be spawning the boss before you got your new pop.

I think this combined with a semi random respawn timer could be a nice medium dynamic way to handle dungeon bosses so you have a reason to kill the mobs while there as well and could be more immersive if done right

edit in you could also have that dungeon "key" be a priority droppable resource from pvp kills
  • Options
    xMrWoolf wrote: »
    the down side though is i could see people continuously running the dungeon 1-2 times a day and never seeing the boss lol dont really think its a issue but just worth mentioning
    Open world dungeons are not meant to be "run" again and again. At least they didn't work like that in L2 and Steven loved them that way.

You just found a room that you could farm on repeat and which had your preferred loot and you'd farm it. And while farming you might've ran to boss rooms to check if they've respawned and would try to farm them if they did.
  • Options
    Arya_YesheArya_Yeshe Member
    edited October 2022
    Bosses need not just random timers, they also need to spawn in all timezones

This is a bit challenging... let's say every 6-8 hours with a bit of randomness

So the people from all timezones have a chance of being there
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.