Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Corruption Acquisition & Removal Question

I've been reading up a lot on the flagging/corruption system and it got me to wonder about this, as I wasn't yet able to find anything definitive:

1. The primary means to remove corruption is through death.

?? Does this mean only death from a bounty hunter or via PvP combat helps remove corruption? Or, does it also count for PvE death as well?? Seeing nothing precise about this, my thoughts are, if corruption could be removed by PvE death, then, even with death penalty, this may be the better avenue the Corrupted player may chose to go in, in order to avoid losing items by being looted by other players. Or, perhaps there's some advantage at being killed in PvE as Corrupted vs. being killed in PvP.
*Any further definitive info about this?

2. Green players killed by mobs (the mob deals the killing blow) do not flag attacking players as corrupt, but since the exact health of another player is not known (outside of the same party, raid, alliance, or guild), attackers run the risk of killing the player and becoming corrupt.

?? I mean, how does this really affect any sort of griefing by higher level players/guilds from blocking content? While sure, there's a risk that the attacker may take a Corruption status, the griefing player can easily make the job a lot more difficult for the non-combatant player to kill the mob. Like, the griefing player could put a DoT on the non-combatant player.
Yes, it's a risk for the griefing player, but it doesn't seem like it'll be all that hard to camp and apply difficulty to non-combatant players..

To me, I'd prefer not such a black and white result. If a player attacks another player while in combat with a PvE mob, then, if the non-combat player dies by the mob, still the griefing player should take some sort of penalty, even if they didn't apply the killing blow. The killing blow by the other player should make them Corrupt for sure, but just by interfering and griefing (applying damage effects, CC, DoT etc) a non-combant player engaged in PvE should place some type of penalty. I.E. If already Corrupt, then more quickly raising the corruption level.

Comments

• Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited October 2022
    Dying as a red player will make you lose equiped gear.
    It doesnt matter if you die to a mob or player, you drop gear and you respawn far from that location.

Players in the open world can be your friends or enemies.
    The game isnt designed to protect you from the actions of other players.

The corruption system is a balancing mechanic to protect:
    Pvp
    Pve
    Questing/exploration
    Character progress
    Gathering/crafting/housing
    It is there to make an open world pvp mmo DIFFERENT from a survival game.
    It's not there to protect players from pvp or other "griefing" no matter how unfair it seems to you. There's inst fair. There us only a conflict of interest.
    Who will lv up faster?
    Who will be wealthier?
    Who will own castles, claim epic raids and infuence nodes.

If you are in my way and I feel like it Ill get mobs on you and try to get you killed.
  • Options
    Zer0Kelvin wrote: »
    Does this mean only death from a bounty hunter or via PvP combat helps remove corruption? Or, does it also count for PvE death as well?? Seeing nothing precise about this, my thoughts are, if corruption could be removed by PvE death, then, even with death penalty, this may be the better avenue the Corrupted player may chose to go in, in order to avoid losing items by being looted by other players. Or, perhaps there's some advantage at being killed in PvE as Corrupted vs. being killed in PvP.
    *Any further definitive info about this?
    Any death. And you'll still lose items on death (potentially gear too), so you'd have to run to your death location before anyone else gets there to pick them back up.

And death penalties will be big enough to deter people from just dying on the spot (well, at least supposedly). Though Steven said that removing corruption by gaining XP will be super slow, so unless they rebalance it PKers will indeed probably just die to their friends or to a random mob deep in a forest far from other people.
    I mean, how does this really affect any sort of griefing by higher level players/guilds from blocking content? While sure, there's a risk that the attacker may take a Corruption status, the griefing player can easily make the job a lot more difficult for the non-combatant player to kill the mob. Like, the griefing player could put a DoT on the non-combatant player.
    Yes, it's a risk for the griefing player, but it doesn't seem like it'll be all that hard to camp and apply difficulty to non-combatant players..
    CCs don't work against green players and I feel like dots will be included in that, though we haven't heard any info on that yet.

The best way to "grief" a lower player if they're trying to farm mobs is to just kill those mobs before that lowbie does. At that point the lowbie would have to rely on the community and ask for help against a griefer.
    To me, I'd prefer not such a black and white result. If a player attacks another player while in combat with a PvE mob, then, if the non-combat player dies by the mob, still the griefing player should take some sort of penalty, even if they didn't apply the killing blow. The killing blow by the other player should make them Corrupt for sure, but just by interfering and griefing (applying damage effects, CC, DoT etc) a non-combant player engaged in PvE should place some type of penalty. I.E. If already Corrupt, then more quickly raising the corruption level.
    This will be tested in alpha2 and has been brought up quite a few times in the past. The main counter to that has usually been "what if a player gets attacked for a bit by another player and then goes and dies to a mob asap. Now the attacker gains corruption even though he didn't mean to kill the target"