Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Content Creators: Will Sister-Guilds/Guild-Alliances Just Be Alts-Dumps?

I really, REALLY want Guild Alliances to be meaningful - and am still quite optimistic that we'll get this.

Since alts can each join different guilds: does this largely mean that the to-be guild alliances will just be arranged between sister-guilds/alts-dumps?

Node-Citizenship is limited to 1/Account(per server); Having 10 or even 100 alts won't affect your individual footprint on the population of a Node. You can ally with only so many other guilds - but won't these sister-guilds largely just be alts-dumps, then?

What's to incentivize main-toon-only guilds to ally with only other main-toon-only guilds, versus their own alt-dump guilds?

Comments

• Options
    novercalisnovercalis Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    edited October 2022
    I wish it's viable to tie an account to 1 guild.

You can play on another server but locked out of guilds. you can have as many alts you want, but they are locked out of guild.

that would fix issues but no clue if it creates other issues and just waking up to process how dumb this suggestion is lol
    {UPK} United Player Killer - All your loot belongs to us.
  • Options
    novercalis wrote: »
    I wish it's viable to tie an account to 1 guild.

You can play on another server but locked out of guilds. you can have as many alts you want, but they are locked out of guild.

that would fix issues but no clue if it creates other issues and just waking up to process how dumb this suggestion is lol

Agreed hope its something they change, rather have all my characters be in one guild without needing alt guilds.
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Few people do.
    Sometimes some of us prefer to play and not be seen by guildies. Take a break for a day, maybe try something new and not get asked to come do stuff.
    Not even touching on espionage.

If they made the choice that is f you have an alt in the same guild they would only take one spot. I could get behind that. But I could not support forcing players to have all alts in one guild.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    Definitely don't want account-wide guild membership. No spying capabilities that way.

As for the OP, yes, there'll most likely be alt guilds, but I highly doubt they'll be in an alliance with their main. What will most likely happen is that big guilds will have an alliance of 40-man parts of their guild, so that they get all the benefits of being in a small guild on all of their main members.

Alts don't really need all those benefits so there's no real reason to keep them in the alliance. Also, having your alts in an alliance with the main could lead to your alts getting KOSed because of that connections. In L2 most of the time you had alts in a completely separate guild to specifically avoid your war enemies. Alt guild also served as a place to keep all your more casual players when they felt that constant wars was too much for them. And when they wanted to return, they'd be at hand's reach.
  • Options
    Few people do.
    Sometimes some of us prefer to play and not be seen by guildies. Take a break for a day, maybe try something new and not get asked to come do stuff.

If they made the choice that is f you have an alt in the same guild they would only take one spot. I could get behind that. But I could not support forcing players to have all alts in one guild.

Would an "appear offline" option in the guild menu solve the problem? Seems like a simple fix.
    f51pcwlbgn8a.png
  • Options
    I'd totally be okay with tying guild membership to an account rather than a toon. One thing that comes to mind as far as exploitation of that would be the guild limit. Having 1 guild slot be taken by 1 account could be exploitable for people to be able to take more guild buffs and fewer guild slot expansions. But I suppose that would only benefit people who normally would add their Alts to their main guild anyway, and this is just expanding that option to everyone "for free" and factoring it in the balancing equation?
    f51pcwlbgn8a.png
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Few people do.

Would an "appear offline" option in the guild menu solve the problem? Seems like a simple fix.

No.
    it is still forcing people into 1 guild and removes spying and other various game play elements.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    Never a simple concept; too many hard feelings, on both sides. /Faith in whatever the IS gang decides upon.

Too bad yours truly hadn't cultivated the skills to join the crew, in years past. On the flip side of things? I have friends IRL that I'd hate to move away from.

• Options
    On one side of things? If things were to be different? I.e. - if we were limited to one guild/account?

It'd be harder to have real contests-of-will over regions. The one Node-citizenship/account rule certainly perpetuates a game of function and design. However, the core-concept seems to indicate that concentrated-enough players will be able to help hold onto a Node's occupancy moreso than a player those toons are spread out.

It'll be fun to see how this play out in Alpha-testing. You can safely wager folks like me will be looking to ensure we find break-bugs WELL before launch....

• Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I won't have any alt guilds in my alliance for sure, you can only have 4 guilds in an alliance, the smart move is getting the best guilds you can in there, and they will certainly not be alt dumps
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    There eventually is a point where you alt can get good gear and be very good for the roles you are in. This is effectively making it harder to play other characters in group content than just inviting your guildy to a group. 100% older mmorpg tactic where modern is to just have your account with the guild. You can still spy with connected accounts to guilds that doesn't really change anything, just means you have to commit more to being/creating a spy than throwing a random alt in a guild.
  • Options
    CCC_HANCCC_HAN Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Wouldn't it be a simple solution to add an NPC to the game that you can go to and it will detect which guilds your account's other characters are in, and depending on which guild you are in, you can join one of those guilds if you want. In order to not lose another/extra member slot in that guild -for an alt- you would have to make each guild slot dependent only on the account ID.

In this case you can join your guild with alts without wasting member slots, but on the other hand you can create your own guild if you want too. So you can join the guild with 3 alts, but with 2-3 other alts you are in a different guild.
    n9p8t51wojzr.gif
  • Options
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    There eventually is a point where you alt can get good gear and be very good for the roles you are in. This is effectively making it harder to play other characters in group content than just inviting your guildy to a group. 100% older mmorpg tactic where modern is to just have your account with the guild. You can still spy with connected accounts to guilds that doesn't really change anything, just means you have to commit more to being/creating a spy than throwing a random alt in a guild.

It'll be interesting to know if the final design counts guild-membership limits by the *accounts* joined, or the number of characters.

Would have to imagine guild-memberships not counting alts against member-limits would be the way to go.

• Options
    Mag7spy wrote: »

It'll be interesting to know if the final design counts guild-membership limits by the *accounts* joined, or the number of characters.

Would have to imagine guild-memberships not counting alts against member-limits would be the way to go.

Unless things change their statement is your characters all have to join a guild. Though i can only hope as they start to look at things like 6 years later things can change.

It is just imo your account should be tied to guilds for all people. But i can still settle allowing it to be your choice. I just don't think being a spy is a reason to now allow you to as you can be a spy by joining with your full account.

My outlook on things are also a bit different as I build a community (across multiple games) and it isn't just about having a random person join the guild that doesn't really interact with people that much. Those are the first that tend to leave the guild.