Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Hybrid Combat system

BeyolfBeyolf Member
edited October 2022 in General Discussion
Hello AoC team and community,

I wanted to ask what made you go into the way of hybrid combat system instead of pure action base or tab targeting, please dont get me wrong i am just curious not against it and i like the idea of hybrid combat. I just really want to understand why you choose to use such hybrid system.

Thank you in advance!

Comments

• Options
    Denn1B01Denn1B01 Member
    edited October 2022
  • Options
    it could turn out to be the best of both forms with little downside depending on the final implementation
  • Options
    Denn1B01 wrote: »

thank you for your response, i already watched his video and i am very well aware of Narc's position of this. I am more interested in reading AoC's developers reasoning.
  • Options
    Caww wrote: »
    it could turn out to be the best of both forms with little downside depending on the final implementation

true , GW2 has quite good hybrid system in my opinion and it looks like AoC's developers want to expand that system so such system definitely has potential, i am just interested in their reasoning if it was ever communicated.
  • Options
    Narc saying range should be just tab target is not what i agree with lmao.
  • Options
    BeyolfBeyolf Member
    edited October 2022
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    Narc saying range should be just tab target is not what i agree with lmao.

yea i also disagree with some of Narc's opinions and thats the reason i asked if there is a explanation from AoC's developers. I am very interested to read their reasons to choose to go into hybrid system.
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Beyolf wrote: »
    yea i also disagree with some of Narc's opinions and thats the reason i asked if there is a explanation from AoC's developers.

It's the same reason as for why it's a pvp centric game, why you can't change your primary class, why there is no hot bikini armor like in other korean games

because Intrepid want it that way, it's Steven's vision, the guy is making the game he wants to play, and in that game, we have hybrid combat, not action combat, and not full tab combat.
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    Is it possible to use both when it’s appropriate rather than choosing one over the other?
  • Options
    Lust69 wrote: »
    Is it possible to use both when it’s appropriate rather than choosing one over the other?

It's decided with the skill and how you level up and augment it, you can't just swap at a moment's notice.
  • Options
    BeyolfBeyolf Member
    edited October 2022
    Liniker wrote: »
    yea i also disagree with some of Narc's opinions and thats the reason i asked if there is a explanation from AoC's developers.

It's the same reason as for why it's a pvp centric game, why you can't change your primary class, why there is no hot bikini armor like in other korean games

I am not asking for such things so i dont know why you even brought them up, i am not against the hybrid combat either as i said above and i am very happy with the vision which Steven have so what is your point ?

I love that the game is no korean game and thats its pvp centric ... Thats why i am here not in korean mmo forums so again what is your point?

Liniker wrote: »

because Intrepid want it that way, it's Steven's vision, the guy is making the game he wants to play, and in that game, we have hybrid combat, not action combat, and not full tab combat.

So i am not allowed to ask for their reasoning? Ofcourse its their game and they can do what ever they want. I am just curious what is their logic behind using hybrid system whats the problem in that?
  • Options

narc misses very crucial points tho. tab target systems can be abused far more than action combat and he doesnt talk about that or how you can do it. all he says is that he doesnt wanna have to aim as an archer
  • Options
    Depraved wrote: »

narc misses very crucial points tho. tab target systems can be abused far more than action combat and he doesnt talk about that or how you can do it. all he says is that he doesnt wanna have to aim as an archer

You don't need hardcore aiming for soft lock is the thing. It does require some sort of effort though in a much better immersive way compared to 0 effort and you click a button and turn to hit an enemy with tab.
  • Options
    AoC will come when people will be starving for stuff that is different than WoW and FF14
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    Thing is people are already starving, that is why new world had 1 mill and everyone knew the combat was lack luster.
  • Options
    Thing is people are already starving, that is why new world had 1 mill and everyone knew the combat was lack luster.

Exactly
  • Options
    Hello AoC team and community,

I wanted to ask what made you go into the way of hybrid combat system instead of pure action base or tab targeting, please dont get me wrong i am just curious not against it and i like the idea of hybrid combat. I just really want to understand why you choose to use such hybrid system.

Thank you in advance!

As long as it feels good in competitive ranked arenas I'm happy.
  • Options
    If ranged isnt tab target you have to give them big big damage to compensate for missing shots. Something like crit headshots so they can 2 shot you. Problem is the game becomes an fps and melee is junk. Tab target on ranged skills allows you to tone the damage down to be more in line with other skills.

I dont want the game to be fps gods destroying everyone in their path with no recourse.
  • Options
    SunMatrix wrote: »
    If ranged isnt tab target you have to give them big big damage to compensate for missing shots. Something like crit headshots so they can 2 shot you. Problem is the game becomes an fps and melee is junk. Tab target on ranged skills allows you to tone the damage down to be more in line with other skills.

I dont want the game to be fps gods destroying everyone in their path with no recourse.

you are somewhat correct but...tab targetting allows for a group of archers to just click you and then you die, and theres nothing you can do about it. i allows summoners to attack you with their pets while they can be in a completely different room. it allows for player scouting (if we have commands) and a lot of other things.
  • Options
    it allows summoners to attack you with their pets while they can be in a completely different room.

I assume the summoner has to originally be within sightline to throw their pet at you. The game can be (and probably is) coded to not allow clicking people that your character cannot currently see. Also break targeting on sightline loss.

Also if youre solo vs a number of people that can one shot you with bows, you weren't gonna win anyways.

As for the scouting thing, idk maybe theres a hiding mechanic or camoflauge? idk how youd solve that. but as long as you got a tree or wall between you and the searcher they shouldnt be randomly finding you.
  • Options
    it allows summoners to attack you with their pets while they can be in a completely different room.

I assume the summoner has to originally be within sightline to throw their pet at you. The game can be (and probably is) coded to not allow clicking people that your character cannot currently see. Also break targeting on sightline loss.

Also if youre solo vs a number of people that can one shot you with bows, you weren't gonna win anyways.

As for the scouting thing, idk maybe theres a hiding mechanic or camoflauge? idk how youd solve that. but as long as you got a tree or wall between you and the searcher they shouldnt be randomly finding you.

in tt you can target the othe rplayer, like maybe you are right outside the room they are in and they cant see you as they are fighting mobs, but you can see them. so you can target the player, go to another room, then send your summon. for tt to be fair, all these things and more need to be addressed.

you can survive archers in action combat by dodging the arrows...if you are in a siege or node wars or whatever mass pvp, tt makes melee even more useless :D you stick your head out too much o sepparate from your mob and you die instantly, no chance at dodging or anything. just pure death. i suspect only tanks will be able to survive (and with heals of course). you try to flank, someone calls your name and you die, nothing you can do. action combat at least allows you to dodge and try to get close. you eventually will get hit but there will be others with you trying to get close to the archers as well. maybe the archers will have to run back a bit, or spread their fire.
  • Options

There should be a damage increase of course compared to tab in whatever form it takes but this isn't fully true. You do not need to give a giant damage boost nor do you need to do headshots. You use softlock it will ensure focus, but you do not need to aim like a shooter you just look towards the target you want to attack. You need to trackt hem yes, you don't need to be precise, and your attack goes towards your soft lock target.

It is impossible for it to feel like a fps, i keep getting confused where these takes are coming from.... Action combat and a FPS are two different things. One is action combat the other is a FPS or third person shooter, they do not work the same...
  • Options
    RinkRink Member
    edited October 2022
    [quote="SunMatrix;c-377361"..It is impossible for it to feel like a fps, i keep getting confused where these takes are coming from.... Action combat and a FPS are two different things. One is action combat the other is a FPS or third person shooter, they do not work the same...

Aside from the soft lock concept, action combat in general is exactly like fps, only fps fires faster projectiles than we may experience in rpgs. Action combat requires you to point your cursor at an opponent (or lead an opponent) and fire the ability expecting the projectile or aoe placement to hit the point of the cursor...it literally is fps. Consider a grenade throw in any fps, that is action combat 100% as well.
  • Options
    RinkRink Member
    edited October 2022
    In any case, it has been made clear by Steven that most the abilities locked into action combat will generally be harder cc's or other higher value abilities than tab target abilities. I'm sure there will be exceptions, but in general it sounds like it will already be balanced by effect rather than damage.

If someone chooses to use a tab target ability in action combat, I don't believe there will be any "buff" to the ability because of the forced addition of difficulty. Although they did say there will be augments that will change abilities one way or the other, that is a different argument.
  • Options
    BeyolfBeyolf Member
    edited October 2022
    Rink wrote: »
    [quote="SunMatrix;c-377361"..It is impossible for it to feel like a fps, i keep getting confused where these takes are coming from.... Action combat and a FPS are two different things. One is action combat the other is a FPS or third person shooter, they do not work the same...

Aside from the soft lock concept, action combat in general is exactly like fps, only fps fires faster projectiles than we may experience in rpgs. Action combat requires you to point your cursor at an opponent (or lead an opponent) and fire the ability expecting the projectile or aoe placement to hit the point of the cursor...it literally is fps. Consider a grenade throw in any fps, that is action combat 100% as well.

Technically you are right, but the main difference between ranged action combat in rpg games and FPS games is the mechanics with which hit is registered. Most of the FPS i know of use hit scan (In New World the musket also use that) which means that there is no travel time for your ammos when you click "fire" button the game makes a snapshot of the position of your cursor and the enemy position and if your cursos is in the hitbox of the enemy player it register dmg, which means that there is not much time to react, in action combat mmo rpgs thats not how it works, the ranged attacks are projectiles which have fly time and maybe also gravity depending on the weapon which means that after you shoot a projectile it first has to fly over your enemy and then calculate if it hits the enemy by caluculating if the position at which the projectile landed collide with the enemy player , which makes it much easier to avoid even without active dodge ability and it becomes harder and harder to hit someone from bigger range.

In my experience tab targeting system usually suffer from button overload (having to use 20-30+ buttons for abilities) in order to have good in depth mechanics and it forces trading damage and cooldowns so it becomes very scripted especially in PvP scenario, another think which i dont like about tab targeting in PvP is that it makes character power much bigger factor for an outcome of a fight (gear etc.).

The action combat allows much more unpredictability and outplay potential because you can avoid all of the damage by just good movement without using abilities , which for me make the combat much more engaging and fun. The problem of Action combat system is the PvE design, its really hard to make good PvE design with a lot of engaging mechanics if everything can be dodged/blocked.

Hybrid system is trying to combine the good stuff from both worlds, but so far i experienced a hybrid system only in GW2 and i think it does quite a good job, because it really gives much more outplay potential than a tab targeting system, but its not as extreme as Action combat where you can use everything in your kit and not damage your enemy even once. Also its easier to design engaging PvE around hybrid system, so i believe that's the reason they decided to go in this direction, but i am not sure that's why i asked for their reasoning since i really am just curious what was the thought process , behind their design.

I personally prefer action combat based system , but i am happy with a hybrid if it does NOT restrict too much the outplay potential and does not make the combat too scripted and it looks like thats not the case here so i think they are doing a very good job so far.