Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Encouraging Group gathering

DarkTidesDarkTides Member
edited October 2022 in General Discussion
Aside from being able to just hit the same harvesting node and other aspects of the current iteration of caravans, is there anything planned for additional ways to encourage group gathering, although not an absolute requirement to do so in a group? The current methods employed seem like they need more way to incentivize gathering in group settings.

Safety in numbers will be important for the less PVP enthused players.

Certain methods of transportation for harvested materials should really be restricted to special caravans/other forms of shipment that do not yet exist. i.e size of goods should matter, not just quantity. If you need a 50ft tall 5ft wide piece of lumber, you need a tree large enough to produce this. (this ties in well with the recent display of growth)... If certain trees could only grow to specific sizes and if the tree is large enough, it should not be carried in a magical harry potter bag. I'm against the overall harry potter bag to begin with, because it dumbs things down and takes away from potential designs in other aspects of the game that result in expanded gameplay experience.

*edit*

In case the team has been without an abundance of compliments and mostly receive suggestions or critiques, I'd like to say great job on everything thus far.

Comments

• Options
    its not a magical harry potter's bag, its a link's bag.

if you are against that, are you also against carrying multiple potions? i mean where does one fit 99 potions, multiple gear sets, multiple weapons, etc? .-.

the game doesnt have to be realistic, it has to be believable.
  • Options
    Honestly, I think it will happen organically. Teams will prosper in Ashes, once folks figure that out the more organized players will gather in squads to maximize load capacity and power to defend their gathering space and their haul.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    Depraved wrote: »
    its not a magical harry potter's bag, its a link's bag.

if you are against that, are you also against carrying multiple potions? i mean where does one fit 99 potions, multiple gear sets, multiple weapons, etc? .-.

the game doesnt have to be realistic, it has to be believable.

I may think the harry potter bag is unrealistic and not believable, but I didn't ask for everything in the game to change. I'm asking for an additional way for large resources to be hauled around, with a design of artillery/buildings/items around that. Varying tree size(they grow now), stone size, whatever else, used in certain schematics/plans.
    CROW3 wrote: »
    Honestly, I think it will happen organically. Teams will prosper in Ashes, once folks figure that out the more organized players will gather in squads to maximize load capacity and power to defend their gathering space and their haul.

I think it will as well, but there will be players who just solo gather all the time, and they have no reason to not do so.

From what I've seen of caravan's, someone just starts one up, and ships stuff along for that person. Didn't Steven say caravans are not to be shared?

You know, in RTS games like Warcraft 3, you have your peons and peasants out there, farming it up. There is a consistent flow of resources being hauled back. There should be lumbermills and mines and stone quarries that function in a similar manner, with all players working together at these locations to load up the wagon, full of shared resources, which is distributed to everyone once it makes it back to the node.
  • Options
    Totally agree needs more work, they hinted at it, using combined tools etc. but we shall see. Solo ends up being so efficient due to not having to wait for people to deal with RL interruptions. Which is why most mmos tends to end up as solo games unless there is enough danger to force cooperation. Comes down to the harshness of the corruption system.

Personally I like a world to be dangerous enough that leaving town without a group is a bit of a waste of time. But that’s not for everyone and I’ll still play aoc if solo play is still feasible.

A lot of players just like to gather solo as they do it while they wait for friends to log on. So to get the balance right potentially we can do a bit of gathering solo but needs to be significant advantages of groups to overcome the inherent advantages of solo.
  • Options
    DarkTides wrote: »
    I think it will as well, but there will be players who just solo gather all the time, and they have no reason to not do so.

Totally - this includes me. I’ll be exploring most of my time, which means a lot of solo gathering. But even while it’s suboptimal for me personally, I still support Ashes being focused on developing teams and the node community.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    Totally agree needs more work, they hinted at it, using combined tools etc. but we shall see. Solo ends up being so efficient due to not having to wait for people to deal with RL interruptions. Which is why most mmos tends to end up as solo games unless there is enough danger to force cooperation. Comes down to the harshness of the corruption system.

Personally I like a world to be dangerous enough that leaving town without a group is a bit of a waste of time. But that’s not for everyone and I’ll still play aoc if solo play is still feasible.

A lot of players just like to gather solo as they do it while they wait for friends to log on. So to get the balance right potentially we can do a bit of gathering solo but needs to be significant advantages of groups to overcome the inherent advantages of solo.

Comments from an Alpha1 player indicated that they went off and found a spot where nobody else was around. No problem, limited resources, more power to you.

Q: How long would you say it will take players on average to fill slash build up a node completely from wilderness to metropolis?
    A: It's one thing to get a node to a certain level: it's another thing to develop the node; and I can't really give you an on-average expectation, because there's a lot of variables at play. There's how many citizens does the node have attracted to it; what's the type of traffic that the node is attracting to it based on things like its tax rates, or the specialization that it chose to spec into, based on the building types it's chosen to build. All of those things are variables that can affect the quote-unquote "average build-out time" of a particular node. So it's kind of difficult to give you an average when there's so many variables along those lines. But the idea is that if there is a particular project that players are interested in in developing based on the node stage, that they would have the ability to complete several of those projects as within a single term of a mayor; and a term of a mayor is one month.[67] – Steven Sharif

Tying in with material components. Massive stones are at the foundation. If materials for large structures required massive trees or stones, which require group efforts to create more efficiently, at specific mayoral decided quarries or mines or lumber mills, then I believe we would notice more concentrated harvesting efforts and collaboration.

0z6b378vz3eg.png

Larger components could bolster structural stability, if used, giving additional incentive to do this.

Specific equipment used to haul these bad boys. Need to learn how = more design plans.

etc etc