Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Gathering Thoughts - From a MMO Vet and Star Wars Galaxies Fan

SirJangleSirJangle Member
edited October 2022 in General Discussion
Hello AoC Community and Team,

I wanted to take a moment to tell a story and give feedback on the current gathering system. First, with the story.

People on my server knew me as Jangle, the creature handler/dealer with all the rare pets. Imperials also knew to not cross paths with me for I was not-so covertly a rebel. If they got past my three rancor pets, they were met with a flamethrower that melted face. While I still remember the battles from over 20 years ago, they are much a blur. What is still crystal clear is the interactions I made with my arms dealer.

Morbis was the players name and he had the best rocket launchers and flamethrowers on the server. The fun part was he was located on Naboo (imperial owned). The maps were so huge and it would take me 20mins on a speeder to make it to his shop. I would have to sneak past my enemies to make it to his shop. As a repeat customer he had a special supply of his best made flamethrowers. I needed a passcode to enter that area of his shop and talk to his merchant droid. He would also let me know when he made an exceptional flamethrower and I would be excited to make the 20min trek to his shop to pick it up. I wanted the best and Morbis took the time to make the best. I have not had this type of interaction in an MMO since.

If you hadn’t guessed it, the game was Star Wars Galaxies. It was a sandbox MMO from 20 years ago.

A quick history on my experience. I have been playing MMOs since 2002. I have played/at least tried about every MMO on the market since then. I have played around in the unreal engine making mods for games (rawr beacons for Ark), and been futzin around with UE5 making my own MMO with a friend in our spare time.

I am very excited for AoC as it breaks the mold of the “popular” theme park MMO that has been predominant in the market the past few years. I have been waiting for a really good sandbox game and AoC just might be it.

I was super excited when Steven talked about surveying months ago. I imagined a system like what was in Star Wars. After watching the this months update, I am excited about the direction of the crafting. Having land health and an eco system is such a cool concept! What the update did not talk about was resource stats. This is what made the Star Wars crafting system so good.

I will not go into too much detail as I am sure the devs have researched this system. In summary, each resource in an area had multiple stats. Overall quality, density, mailability, etc. These had a direct affect on the outcome of the item. For example, a high level of unit toughness would increase the armor value on an item. This created a gradient of stats on any given piece of gear and allowed for crafters who loved to craft, min/max their wares.

A system like this could easily fall into the current land management system. It would also allow crafters to distinguish themselves from others. Perfect for a social sandbox MMO.

Thanks for listening. Feel free to contact me more if you want to hear about other experiences with the SWG crafting system. I used to be a bioengineer in the game on my alt and would create the highest level mounts anyone could buy!

On discord as RoflRawr.

Comments

• Options
    um ok
  • Options
    pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    I heard that SWG had a very in depth crafting system and a lot of posted really loved it. It wasn't easy nice, from what I hear. You could really put effort in to it.

I'm excited to see where AoC trades crafting.
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Gathering

Resources
    Gatherable mushrooms found in an underground cave.[4]

We want our players to have a reason to explore the wilderness, to travel with purpose, and much of that will be driven by our resource system. Transporting these goods might just be more difficult than gathering them. Our regional market system allows players to participate in creating pocket economies that will reinforce the stability of goods in particular regions.[26]

Gatherable resources (also known as raw materials and harvestables) occur in locations where you would expect them to be organically.[27]

Some resources will be one-time gatherables, others will exist as clusters that will last until the vein is depleted.[28][29][27]

We really want resources to be persistent and non-renewable. If there’s a mithril vein, that mithril vein will be there until it runs out. The server will manage these amounts on its own, and will repopulate things where and when it desires. You might find another mithril vein in that location sometime later, or somewhere nearby, or maybe never again![30]

Players drop resources and other items upon death, based on their applicable death penalties.[31][32][33][34]

Raw materials (gatherable resources) are not to be confused with crafting materials (processed goods).[35][36]

Resource quality
    Flanggler (Flower angler or Mimic flower).[37][38]

Resources will have differing tiers of quality for the same resource type.[29] This is somewhat similar to Star Wars Galaxies.[39]

Gatherers who are more advanced in their artisan tree will unlock higher level harvesting tools that have a greater chance of collecting higher quality resources or proccing a greater quantity.[29][40][41]

You will have an opportunity to proc certain qualities based on your progression in the Artisan tree. So if you are a gatherer; and as you advance in your gathering, you'll have a higher opportunity to collect better resources.[41] – Steven Sharif
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    I can't wait to see merchant ships carry loads of flora and lumber over to the desert regions. Gonna be a lot of fun
    jlyhubmxm6w1.png

Founder and Guild Leader of -Providence-
  • Options
    This sort of thing is what makes me so excited for the game. I've got no illusions that I'm gonna be anybody special - I doubt I'll ever have the best of anything on a given server - but the fact that this kind of interpersonal interaction is likely to be possible in Ashes is why I'm so excited to play the game. This is stuff you can't buy; a developer can only nurture an environment that can potentially allow it to happen.
  • Options
    ClintHardwoodClintHardwood Member
    edited October 2022
    I would really like material qualities in the manner of galaxies to give resources depth.
  • Options
    Balrog21Balrog21 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Such a good post. I definitely want to hear more.