Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Bidding war on corrupt-dropped gear!

What do you think of having bounty hunters required to sell the gear collected from corrupted players on an auction and not knowing exactly what the gear is until they list it? The BH would receive the money (minus town taxes or something) and be able to bid on it himself if he wanted, but his money would go to the area owning guild. Initially I think it should be on the AH for 24 hours minimum and every bid placed on it would increase the timer. I think this would limit gear hoarding by BHs and the solution of just having a friend loot you much riskier for all involved.

Comments

• no.

ask a friend who isnt a bh to loot you then?loophole
  • The BH can do that by himself without any additional systems. Why take away his agenda?
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Why?
  • "Oh gee thank you Mr. Bounty Hunter for getting rid of that corrupted scoundrel who was killing lvl 3s. Also, hand over all the gear you got off him and nobody gets hurt. This isn't a choice, we will give you a share of the value so that it's a 'legal' trade."

This is what I think of when I read your post OP. Are the town's guard a bunch of gangsters in a mafia to you? Besides, what does this even try to address?
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Arya_YesheArya_Yeshe Member
    edited October 2022
    What a bunch of complicated stuff, I don't wanna even think about this, something confusing reasons something.
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The bounty hunter risked his life to get that gear from the corrupted player, don't take away his or her reward! They earned it.
  • Depraved, my suggestion to this is to have it apply to all corruption dropped gear

BlackBrony, to prevent people from just having a friend nearby kill them after and trade back their gear, but I've heard that exp debt will be incurred on corruption kill which further disincentivizes reding at all meaning I'll probably wanna scrap this idea depending on how severe it is.

George_black, see above.

Sathrago, I understand a more direct reward system is cooler but my point is to stop loopholers, in a game without that potential problem I'd prefer the direct drop system. Believe me I know the rush of looting someones entire inventory from Runescape and its a shame this needs to be addressed. Maybe what I'm worried about wont really be a problem but in my experience toxic players will look for EVERY way to avoid any real consequences to their actions and I don't want a repeat of the ArcheAge crime system.

Arya_Yeshe, Then don't

Tautau, reds have reduced stats and can be attacked without permanent consequence, I think they risk significantly more here if they're only killing a green to monopolize a resource. Besides, you don't flag purple if you attack a red while green, meaning you can relentlessly attack a red even if you're dramatically weaker than them, and if they kill you that only makes them a bigger and weaker loot bag to chase until they eventually keel over from corruption stacks.
    tldr: risking your life means nothing if you only get more rewards for dying.
  • tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Thanks for your reply Wildpants, but I think you have a technical point wrong. While corrupted players do have dampened stats against NPCs and non-BH players, corrupt players do not have dampened stats versus Bounty Hunters. Therefore, Bounty Hunters DO risk death when hunting corrupt players, hence my opinion that they deserve the full value of the drops.

Here are the quotes from the wiki regarding this: "Corrupted players may kill bounty hunters without acquiring additional corruption score.[8][9]
    Corrupted player's combat penalties do not apply when battling bounty hunters.[8]"
  • pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    .. eh?!

You say this will 'limit gear hoarding by bhs'.
    When did this become a problem for AoC?

Even if every BH hoarded every bit of gear they got off reds, so what?

The end result would be more activity for crafters, processors, and gatherers.

HOARD AWAY, BABY!
  • Oh I didn't know about that tau tau, thanks for the info! I get the feeling players might just use a BH as a player locator but that means more player interaction, like a BH rousing an angry mob of greens on a strong red sounds cool but I'd need to know the loot priority of greens vs BH. I'll have to just wait and see what the players try to break in further testing.

Pyreal, Good point, I'd like to have more action for producer players.
  • tautau wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply Wildpants, but I think you have a technical point wrong. While corrupted players do have dampened stats against NPCs and non-BH players, corrupt players do not have dampened stats versus Bounty Hunters. Therefore, Bounty Hunters DO risk death when hunting corrupt players, hence my opinion that they deserve the full value of the drops.

Here are the quotes from the wiki regarding this: "Corrupted players may kill bounty hunters without acquiring additional corruption score.[8][9]
    Corrupted player's combat penalties do not apply when battling bounty hunters.[8]"

I can agree that makes no sense being a BH if you can't get anything from it while having all the risks

Still, only corrupteds dropping gear is still strange to me, it feels like a very very vanilla game carebear game like WoW... hopefully we will have areas where we can get full loot drops from any kind of player

MAYBE if the BH gets something like honor tokens that can be exchanged for stuff
  • full loot isnt good if it takes too long to acquire gear.
    to have full loot drops on death for greens and purple, gear would have to be very easily acquired
  • Systems that have no point are probably the worst choices to suggest for feature-creep.

HOWEVER!

Perhaps there could be a small marker on an item to indicate that it was looted from a Corrupted player; Some folks might enjoy using a weapon they know they took/someone else took from a player with Corruption, or at least having them as trophies in a personal collection.

• Depraved wrote: »
    full loot isnt good if it takes too long to acquire gear.
    to have full loot drops on death for greens and purple, gear would have to be very easily acquired

Yes

We dont know yet how much spare armors people will have, how much drops from mobs we will get gear