Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Crime, Criminal Settlements and more!

Silv4Silv4 Member
edited October 2022 in General Discussion
Hello everyone!

The last Ashes stream spoke a lot about corruption, griefing etc and also showed a bit of character art for bandits. This got me thinking more about Crime within ashes as a whole. Would love to hear people's thoughts on some of the questions below and spark some discussion on interest of player criminal factions in AoC. (Also, apologies if these kinda things have been asked before!)

- First of all, is there a Criminal system built in to Ashes of creation? i.e. do I have to follow policies/rules set by node governors, or can I risk being "arrested" or cut down to break these rules in the name of profit?

- Is there any option for a Criminal town node (for example, Shadycreek Run from Critical Role or Riften Thieves Guild from Skyrim). That would house things like a Thieves guild with a tavern store-front?

- Will there be any option for bounties set by criminals on certain players that are governors/rulers of a certain node that will make corruption act slightly differently for a certain period and give someone a reward for the kill?

- With the bounty system, would there also be scope for some of these factions to be hired as mercenaries for upcoming node sieges?

- Open seas piracy (yarr!) is obviously a thing already in open waters. Will there be any option for pirate/criminal caravan ships to be set up that could be "inspected" by lawful factions and seized, or create criminal trade routes for those daring enough to try it.

I would love to hear more about this kind of thing as it's very much my kind of play-style. As noted before, if some of these questions have already been answered, I apologise, I couldn't find anything on it (please link me the thread <3 )

Thanks all and have a great day!

Comments

• Options
    Arya_YesheArya_Yeshe Member
    edited October 2022
    Open sea is free PVP in AoC, you can kill and pillage as much as you please with no consequences!

This is the way! <3
    Glorified PVP is what we want.
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Yes, there will be thieves guilds in the game! https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Thieves'_guild but we do not yet know a lot about them, we might not until release.

Players can post in taverns that they are offering bounties for the death of other players. I don't think that there is a game system for this (correct me if I am wrong) so the payment will be based on voluntary cooperation between players.

I have heard of players forming guilds of mercenaries who could be hired for sieges, to protect caravans and to do other game tasks. However, if a corrupt/red player shows up at a siege, he will likely be looking at a dirt nap as soon as he or she is spotted. Corrupt players are generally despised by the population at large.

I suppose a mayor/node could try to attract unsavory players to be citizens, but I expect that would be a siege target pretty quicky - no one likes an unsavory neighbor!

• Options
    JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    So keep in mind I think you are confusing "criminal" activities with "corruption" activities.

You want to steal a caravan? Go for it. You don't go red. That's an unlawful activity, but its not a corruption granting activity.

Want to steal a merchant ship? Same thing

Now, you want to gank greens who don't want to PVP? Well that's corruption for you
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101