Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Meteorites and mining

While watching the latest monthly livestream and especially the gathering part a funny idea popped up in my mind.

What if there would be meteorites that sometimes fall from the sky into random locations? These meteorites could contain very rare resources (ores, diamonds, crystals etc.) that could be used for crafting legendary items for example. Only the finest miners could mine these resources so not just everyone cound go and pick up these fine materials on their own. The size of the meteorites and amount of resources could differ each time. Those random locations where meteorites could fall would not be inhabited areas like towns or cities.

From the lore perspective maybe the gods would have sent those meteorites with their resources to arm players against corruption. In the other hand players could store the metorites into nodes' treasure halls gaining some bonuses or policies for the nodes and the players.

This could encourage players to explore Verra more and would create random events or sometimes conflicts between nodes.

What do you guys think about this? Is this a good idea or totally poor idea?

Comments

• I want to see a meteorite fall into the sea to see what happens :smile:
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • 16qwspt1pb05.png

So basically just like in Metin 2.

Sounds good to me.

Would give people an extra reason to roam around areas and compete against eachother and the enviroment.

• Cool idea. 👍
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Nice idea- it would also be cool if the skybox could give clues to where one might potentially land
  • I like it. A falling star streaking out of the sky and landing somewhere could be a fantastic time for open-world PvP as people attempt to collect the resources from said star. It's flashy, shows everyone there's a thing happening nearby, creates a call to action with a reward, and that's basically everything you want out of a pvp system.
  • Could also be the basis for an expansion profession or for a Scientific Node perk that allows you to predict such meteorite falls and their nature and even get increased benefits from breaking them.
  • akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    New World did some pretty impactful meteor falls!
  • I didn't know that Metin 2 and New World have done something similar before. I would believe that AoC could make this work and look much better like it has already showed us in many other things. B)
  • -T0Mb--T0Mb- Member
    edited October 2022
    Strevi wrote: »
    I want to see a meteorite fall into the sea to see what happens :smile:

That would create new content for under water exploring and treasure hunting! It would be cool how the sea would start to boil around a red hot meteorite. That would be interesting to see how players could gather those valuable resources. :o
  • Would be interesting to see. It could streak across the sky for a bit before crashing to the earth. Guilds and people following in its wake to see who can mine it first. Large scale fights breaking out to get the rare resources. That would be pretty cool.
  • -T0Mb- wrote: »

That would create new content for under water exploring and treasure hunting! It would be cool how the sea would start to boil around a red hot meteorite. That would be interesting to see how players could gather those valuable resources. :o

Another option would be the meteorite to fall into the garden of my freehold.
    Only I will mine :)
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • This sounds cool!

Everybody seeing it falling, miners will run to it and mine it all as fast as they can!
    Finders keepers!
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Strevi wrote: »
    -T0Mb- wrote: »

Another option would be the meteorite to fall into the garden of my freehold.
    Only I will mine :)

You should try to plant it into your garden and see what is going to grow from it! :#
  • Tearl StoneheartTearl Stoneheart Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    This sounds very cool! I love the possibilities. Hopefully, the devs will put this on the feature board for one of the early expansions. Lore-wise, it could begin after a world boss has been killed or something.
  • NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I like it. Sometimes the meteorites could have rare minerals, other times pissed off Ancients!
  • GoalidGoalid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Meteorites are a great idea, but have to remember some current lore is that the Ancients used meteorites to travel back to Verra after their banishment, aka their "Harbingers". I'd love to see Harbinger events as well, with the Harbinger having great gatherables.
    bRVL6TR.png

• -T0Mb--T0Mb- Member
    edited November 2022
    Nerror wrote: »
    I like it. Sometimes the meteorites could have rare minerals, other times pissed off Ancients!

Maybe AoC's gods have a tradition of sending "gifts" in meteorites? :sweat_smile:
  • Love the idea, reminds me of the meteorite falls in Conan Exiles.

Only top nodge miners should be able to farm it, so they figure out wether the inside contains valuable ores or some angry mobs/boss?
    The Past determines your decisions in the Present & the Present determines your decisions in the Future.The Future is obsolete until it becomes the Present - The Endless Spiral
  • GandalfthegrapeGandalfthegrape Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    -T0Mb- wrote: »

Maybe AoC's gods have a tradition of sending "gifts" in meteorites? :sweat_smile:

Well that would parallel history ironically well. 3 of the worlds major religions are probably based on an eye witness account of an air burst.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-021-97778-3.pdf

https://www.forbes.com/sites/fernandezelizabeth/2021/09/23/a-massive-meteor-may-have-destroyed-the-biblical-city-of-sodom/?sh=4746bce58260
  • -T0Mb- wrote: »

Well that would parallel history ironically well. 3 of the worlds major religions are probably based on an eye witness account of an air burst.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-021-97778-3.pdf

https://www.forbes.com/sites/fernandezelizabeth/2021/09/23/a-massive-meteor-may-have-destroyed-the-biblical-city-of-sodom/?sh=4746bce58260

I think I have heard something about these theories before. :smile: