Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What if you made it so corruption also stacked on the player that gets killed?

GandalfthegrapeGandalfthegrape Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
edited October 2022 in General Discussion
So say you die 3-5 times in like 10-30 min you visually change to like yellow or dark green or something, so a player knows that if they kill you they are going to get hit hard by corruption rather than a player that is just green and hasn't been killed by a player in a long time. So a group can't individually corpse camp you and switch member that is killing you. Also if you are in a busy area people know you have already died a lot today so they should leave you alone. So if you kill someone that has been killed like 10 times today you get max corruption instantly.

Comments

• Options
    Yeah, I'd support that kind of design. Especially if Intrepid addresses the issues brought up in the "aggressive overgathering" threads.
  • Options
    So say you die 3-5 times in like 10-30 min you visually change to like yellow or dark green or something, so a player knows that if they kill you they are going to get hit hard by corruption rather than a player that is just green and hasn't been killed by a player in a long time. So a group can't individually corpse camp you and switch member that is killing you. Also if you are in a busy area people know you have already died a lot today so they should leave you alone. So if you kill someone that has been killed like 10 times today you get max corruption instantly.

do you know what else prevents you from getting camped by a party? not trying to take their mobs, or grouping up and killing them.
  • Options
    If you get killed 5 times in a row, that makes the game more interesting. People keep looking at isolated systems, they cannot think outside of Wow instanced based game.
    This game is different. Actions have consequences. If you kill somebody 4 times, I bet you their guild/node is gonna do something about it. You cannot have you members PKed by another guild and do nothing about it.
    The solution doesn't rely on the systems, it relies on the players. WE are the solution.
    If you get killed 4 times, take Screenshots, proof for your guild master / node, and a KoS will be created or a war started.
  • Options
    BlackBrony wrote: »
    If you get killed 5 times in a row, that makes the game more interesting. People keep looking at isolated systems, they cannot think outside of Wow instanced based game.
    This game is different. Actions have consequences. If you kill somebody 4 times, I bet you their guild/node is gonna do something about it. You cannot have you members PKed by another guild and do nothing about it.
    The solution doesn't rely on the systems, it relies on the players. WE are the solution.
    If you get killed 4 times, take Screenshots, proof for your guild master / node, and a KoS will be created or a war started.
    All of that assumes a guild or a well-meaning node. And while I'm all for pushing people to socialize more, any lowbie who's completely new to the game, doesn't know anyone and hasn't gotten the money for a citizenship would literally have no one to turn to for help.

They can obviously just shout in chat, and should always do that, but there's no assurance that anyone will come right away. And if that lowbie keeps getting killed over and over again, they'll most likely just leave.

Now I don't think this would be a very widespread occurrence, but the suggested system would also not influence any realistic gameplay in other regards. It only limits how much a single person can be PKed in a short period of time, that's it.

Abusing this mechanic by PKing your own characters over and over would be silly because you'd not only get a ton of PK counts on the killer, but would also generate quite a bit of XP debt on your character, so it would kinda defeat the purpose of avoiding deaths.

And if someone's trying to corruption bomb you - you should do better than just continuously PK them. If the only thing you can do to win out against such a griefer is PKing them - you should think of ways to become stronger or get help from others (which is also a way to become stronger).
  • Options
    BlackBronyBlackBrony Member
    edited October 2022
    NiKr wrote: »
    Now I don't think this would be a very widespread occurrence, but the suggested system would also not influence any realistic gameplay in other regards. It only limits how much a single person can be PKed in a short period of time, that's it.

Who would PK a lowbie and gain corruption? Where is the gain. Why would I risk my gear and time by killing a lowbie? This creates additional overhead and system where none is necessary.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    edited October 2022
    Who would PK a lowbie and gain corruption? Where is the gain. Why would I risk my gear and time by killing a lowbie? This creates additional overhead and system where none is necessary.
    The gain is in fucking someone's day completely over. You might not see any pleasure in that, but even on this forum we've already had a few people saying they gonna be griefing people a lot. I consider such people dicks and gonna hunt them to the best of my ability, but who knows how many such dicks there are and how many "me's" there are.

I've seen quite a few PK alts in L2 that existed purely to fuck with people and do nothing else. I'm sure Ashes will have those too. And considering that PK count is not account-wide, those PKers can just do it again and again until they get bored (which I doubt they will).
  • Options

That's not true at all. Rust and tarkov are 2 of my top 5 favorite games. And stv in classic wow was my favorite zone leveling up. I understand how always on pvp works very well. I understand how venturing out into the world is risky, and doing so might get you something better. People want occasional random skirmishes and planned assaults, that has an interesting choice to get a better or worse reward. The game needs a lot of pvp balancing systems because level and gear disparity exists in mmos but that is inherently non competitive. Leveling up your ak to shoot rockets in cs would be ridiculous, starting at lvl 10 in dota with a heart would also be ridiculous. It's an mmo so you should have a form of progression but the systems that include the pvp aspect needs to compensate for that. You can kill someone in rust who has an m2 and metal with a crossbow with 3 head shots. You can leg a 40 juicer who has a meta m4 with a toz and get black tip pre market. You are able to outplay them and get their stuff. This is a mmo, a lvl 1 can't outplay level cap and get their stuff. People don't want to get camped, it literally adds nothing of value. It's a video game, the entire thing is determined by the systems. This won't stop people from pvping. It will stop people from griefing. Not everyone is going to be apart of a guild. Not every guild or node will want to start a war over someone getting killed, almost none at all will. Basically everything else will be a higher priority as far as a group is concerned. Getting killed over and over doesn't make the game more interesting. That idea comes from a place of ignorance. The only reason someone wouldn't want to kill someone over and over is because they want to grief someone over and over. Griefing is the easiest way to get someone to quit a game. Iv made 10+ deep clans in rust leave the sever by griefing the shit out of their base by tc blocking it and walling it by myself. If you're causing them grief it's griefing, it's effective, but it's not interesting. Guess why Rust has a 3 day life cycle and 7 day wipes. Everyone griefs each other and everyone quits. The people who win are usually the biggest bullies that go out of their way to cause so much pain people just don't want to deal with it and leave. This game isn't a wipe based game so the systems need to inherently encourage longevity. You encourage longevity by making it so a loss isn't repeated annihilation, it's just a minor setback. You need to make it so the same minor set back isn't something that can happen over and over. There a few exceptions like being able to down a hard raid boss and then rebuffing and walking back but not for something like pvp. Especially when something you are working towards can be taken away from you. This is one of the many ways you need to make the game something people enjoy being in so it lasts 10+ years like a healthly mmo should.
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

So what if someone used an alt to kill me 3-5 times, so I could gather in a highly prised area knowing that I would then be unlikely to be pk`d as I was yellow!

Nah.. too much worry about something that is very unlikely to happen !
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »

It is a widespread occurrence in every game that allows non consensual pvp.

It's not supposed to influence game play in other regards it's supposed to stop groups of people repeatedly killing individual people. You're attacking an argument no one made because it's the only thing you have a basis to attack. This is called a straw man argument and it's disingenuous.

The gain is being a dickhead to stroke their ego. The gain is wiping out all the competition to dominate the progression systems. The gain is to keep every other area in a state of poverty and ruin so the competition can't gain an equal footing to have the tools to beat you.

Yes stopping people from leaving the mmo is necessary for having a healthy mmo. They have 500 vs 500 combat. Adding a few, and modifying a few blueprints isn't going to add anything remotely comparable lag or time wise.
  • Options
    akabear wrote: »
    So what if someone used an alt to kill me 3-5 times, so I could gather in a highly prised area knowing that I would then be unlikely to be pk`d as I was yellow!

Death penalties already include lowered mob drop rates. What if those lowered rates applied to gathering too? This way it'd be pointless to do this workaround before going for some valuable gatherables.

High lvl gatherers would most likely have protectors or would just be able to defend themselves in pvp, so it's not like they'd be the ones PKed the most, while lowbies/newbies would care more about being griefed rather than gathering rates. The lowered rates could even influence high lvl gathering more than low lvl one. This would push high lvl gatherers towards socialization and protection (from both PKers and mobs), while it'd barely effect the ones who could be griefed the most.
  • Options

Then it's working as intended. That alt is now nearing max corruption and is useless. How many people did you recruit exactly to ruin their character for you every 30 or whatever min just so you can farm without worrying about being pked for 30 min?

Ignorance is bliss.
  • Options
    We don`t need more suggestions on the forums for additional mechanics in the game to make it safer, all that does is water it down further.

If you want to stay safe, play smart!

• Options
    What about if it just stacks against the player who’s killed you? So you go yellow to that player but stay green to other people so then you can’t just kill your self a few times to have protection in a lucrative area.
  • Options
    I don't agree with this, system already has things in place every time you kill another player that increases...

Please need to realize pvp is going to be part of the game, trying to further push systems to be even more harsh so they can attempt to have as close to a pve server as possible won't happen.

When you are in a guild war getting killed multiple times you are going to realize, people are under the perception the only OW pvp is going to be corruption.

Rather than trying to advocate for less pvp, create less negative incentives if a player kills you, i think player xp lost being green at the very least should not be a thing in pvp.

Overcomplicating the system to protect the people that refuse to pvp does not make sense. Current system is strong enough and they can again adjust things, like removing xp lost on death from a player, or simply make it so only the attacker loses xp on death.
  • Options
    Depraved wrote: »

do you know what else prevents you from getting camped by a party? not trying to take their mobs, or grouping up and killing them.

That is a BS statement. Who says the person is taking their mobs. The killer might actualy want to take his. Plus there can be various reasons as to why someone hasn't teamed up
  • Options
    insomnia wrote: »
    Depraved wrote: »

That is a BS statement. Who says the person is taking their mobs. The killer might actualy want to take his. Plus there can be various reasons as to why someone hasn't teamed up

you missed the point. people wanna change the system instead of changing themselves. its like obese people forcing others to like them, instead of losing weight.

all these suggestions are about how they are a solo player and they gonna get ganked. they just wanna minimize the risk next to 0 or increase the punishments for pvp way to much. its as almost these players dont want any open world pvp to happen at all.

if you dont wanna get ganked by a party, dont farm where they are farming. if you are farming there first and they come to your spot and kill you, well though luck. call your guild, ur friends etc or just go somewhere else.

if u like playing solo thats understandable, but dont try to change the game for the 3487545754 people who wanna group up
  • Options
    Considering when you die you respawn at a respawn location, likely not near where you died, if you go back to the same spot where you were pk`d 3-5x within 10-30min, then.. well.. .....
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Considering when you die you respawn at a respawn location, likely not near where you died, if you go back to the same spot where you were pk`d 3-5x within 10-30min, then.. well.. .....

I was waiting for somebody to give this simple reason of why yet another imaginary scenario doesnt need yet another "brilliant" system.
  • Options
    Arya_YesheArya_Yeshe Member
    edited November 2022

Let me think about this as a real player and not like a carebear being afraid of being ganked a couple times...

No, no one will camp you, do you know why?
    Because you will spawn in your city, the reds won't be there.

Will players keep ganking lowbies?
    No, because the Corruption system is too extreme and injust.

Will people keep killing one lowbie only and only him?
    Well... if that ever happens it's because he deserved it, probably because he is PvE griefing, I hope he dies a lot.

Stop being afraid and be a better player, being a better player is:
    - bring guild members
    - bring your citizens
    - reach out people
    - find a better spot for your carebearing

Also why do you even care losing a little bit of lumber?
    This is not important

More rules just makes the game more complicated
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options

I was waiting for somebody to give this simple reason of why yet another imaginary scenario doesnt need yet another "brilliant" system.

We're not even in Alpha 2 yet.

Trying to not think of right before launch ... and the exponential increase in "I want to turn the dials on corruption so it suits my playstyle" forums threads.
  • Options

Trying to not think of right before launch ... and the exponential increase in "I want to turn the dials on corruption so it suits my playstyle" forums threads.

Not sure what you mean.
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

Not sure what you mean.

He's agreeing with you, and predicting "corruption needs to ____" threads will increase exponentially around launch time.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    Arya_Yeshe wrote: »

Let me think about this as a real player and not like a carebear being afraid of being ganked a couple times...

No, no one will camp you, do you know why?
    Because you will spawn in your city, the reds won't be there.

Will players keep ganking lowbies?
    No, because the Corruption system is too extreme and injust.

Will people keep killing one lowbie only and only him?
    Well... if that ever happens it's because he deserved it, probably because he is PvE griefing, I hope he dies a lot.

Stop being afraid and be a better player, being a better player is:
    - bring guild members
    - bring your citizens
    - reach out people
    - find a better spot for your carebearing

Also why do you even care losing a little bit of lumber?
    This is not important

More rules just makes the game more complicated

https://imgur.com/pMMyBj1
    https://imgur.com/8zaxaG0

“Oh, my sweet summer child, what do you know of fear?
    Fear is for the winter, my little lord, when the snows fall a hundred feet
    deep and the ice wind comes howling out of the north. Fear is for the long
    night, when the sun hides its face for years at a time, and little children
    are born and live and die all in darkness while the direwolves grow gaunt and
    hungry, and the white walkers move through the woods”
  • Options
    Lust69 wrote: »
    What about if it just stacks against the player who’s killed you? So you go yellow to that player but stay green to other people so then you can’t just kill your self a few times to have protection in a lucrative area.

My thinking is that you can get a group and have each individual person kill you. So say a group of 10 can kill you 10 times while each person only receives 1 kill worth of corruption. This would also prevent high level community members like mayors or streamers from being griefed repeatedly.

This would only apply for a short amount of time so it stops chain killing. You would need to make all your friends have a throw away character, take time out to level it, go to the trouble of killing you for no real reward. Unless you want to pay exorbitant amounts of gold to do that. But the only benefit would be to have a small duration. And would be disabled for something like a caravan or siege if you chose to attack or defend.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    If you are a guild member, and you are pk`ed twice within a short period of time, you have reached out for support and your guild members have not come to hunt down the killer with you, then time to reconsider your guild!

If you are not a guild member, then perhaps time to think about being in one!
  • Options
    GoalidGoalid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

Sounds easily abusable so you could karma bomb people by being a troll and PvE griefing.
    bRVL6TR.png

• Options
    GoalidGoalid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited November 2022
    By the way, some people are absolutely delusional about how corruption needs to be tuned. If it's possible for me to grief your mob grind by tagging all the mobs first because I have a slightly better class, and refuse to fight back, that person is totally justified in killing me.

Under the current corruption system, since apparently it's going to take hours to grind off corruption, I'll just be able to come back and kill you, take all your stuff, and give you 4x the penalties I got. Rinse and repeat. Corruption is already going to be overtuned to appease streamers in A2, y'all have to realize that every major guild is planning to abuse the shit out of corruption until it's properly tuned.
    bRVL6TR.png

• Options
    Goalid wrote: »
    By the way, some people are absolutely delusional about how corruption needs to be tuned. If it's possible for me to grief your mob grind by tagging all the mobs first because I have a slightly better class, and refuse to fight back, that person is totally justified in killing me.

Under the current corruption system, since apparently it's going to take hours to grind off corruption, I'll just be able to come back and kill you, take all your stuff, and give you 4x the penalties I got. Rinse and repeat. Corruption is already going to be overtuned to appease streamers in A2, y'all have to realize that every major guild is planning to abuse the shit out of corruption until it's properly tuned.

So what do you intent to do when you have 20 mobs chasing you because you tagged everything? Sounds like you just played yourself.

That's not how it works even now.

So you didn't even read what I read. I brought this up already.

"Sounds easily abusable so you could karma bomb people by being a troll and PvE griefing. "
    PVP griefing is worse than pve griefing significantly. That statement doesn't even make sense. "WHAT I CAN'T GET SHOT IN THE FACE ANYMORE I CAN ONLY GET SLAPPED IN THE FACE NOOOOOOOOOOO REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Just stop.... it's a bad idea coming from a victimized mentality. Screw that. There are measurements to prevent PKing, your scenario of being camped doesnt make sense, we dont need a system based on how many times you stood there and got owned like a b**.
    Just stop now.
  • Options
    Just stop.... it's a bad idea coming from a victimized mentality. Screw that.

No. Also no.