Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Advanced Surveying Idea/Dream

BotagarBotagar Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
Good existence all~!

I used to love the prob scanning and exploring mechanic and game play of EVE Online, and I can think of a way such a thing could be adapted in AoC.

Lore background for this idea:
As time passes, magic and corruption infuse into a resource type (such as a tree, rock, herb, fish etc...) and awakens a primitive consciousness in them.
With this newfound consciousness and magic power, they pull a pocket of space around them into a sub dimension where they seclude themselves away from the world. In doing so, they also bring some surrounding resources with them.
(For example an awakened tree pulls in a bit of the forest that they were in, which includes other trees, some rocks and some herbs)
The longer the awakened resource hides away, the more magic and corruption it absorbs thus the stronger it gets, and the other resources it brought in become more enchanted.

Us as players can begin to track down these pocket dimensions with higher level surveying (using our pylons to triangulate them) and then bridge Verra to these pockets. Forming the bridge would spawn a very visible crack in the air/sea and have a wide-ish audio queue.
This would then basically function as a dynamic short dungeon where we kill the boss in the `hidden cave` or `hidden grove`. Anyone who accesses this pocket is now auto flagged (as its a lawless area).
Once the boss is down, the remains of its body can be group gathered for high end resources, and the surrounding resources harvested for normal and rare materials.
The longer a pocket remains un-bridged, it can rank up in danger and thus its reward.
However, the more higher ranked pockets exist in an area, it suppresses the ranking up of the newer/weaker pockets, ensuring that there's always a spread of weaker and stronger pockets.

I wouldn't expect something like this at A2, but it would be cool to see at/around/after launch.

What do people think?

Comments

• Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Yall ppl need to get real jobs to fill your needs for employment and let games be games.
    I dont understand this love for detailed, ingame, job simulator, which comes at the probable expense of attention to animation variety, class and ability uniqueness and other so much more important things than leveling up a boring job to combat artificial RNG, also not necessary as a system.
  • Options
    Yall ppl need to get real jobs to fill your needs for employment and let games be games.
    I dont understand this love for detailed, ingame, job simulator, which comes at the probable expense of attention to animation variety, class and ability uniqueness and other so much more important things than leveling up a boring job to combat artificial RNG, also not necessary as a system.

What...
    It's not that complex, gives people who like uncovering hidden things more stuff to do.
    I never said a system like this needs to be there at launch, sacrificing other core parts of the game.
    ...ingame, job simulator...
    why bother do anything then? lets tackle the meaning of life whilst we are here...
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I like the idea of the resource value stacking up with time left untouched as well as increased difficulty - do you think there's a way to do it without pocket dimensions?
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    I was trying to tie the idea into exploration/surveying.
    There could be static nooks and crannies around the over world (or under world) that could implement similar mechanics.
    And if they were static places in the world, I remember reading someone else's idea where clearing it could become a dynamic event triggered by some kind of player or npc interaction.

I did like how in Albion online untouched resources could rank up in rarity. I would like to see at the minimum something similar like that.