Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

A question about "Unique Items": What do you think of this?

bancroftibancrofti Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
edited November 2022 in General Discussion
Let me introduce this topic with a little example:
Back in the 2000s, I started MMOs as a child fascinated with that world, and, at that time skins were not a viable option, we had to use them as they were. I remember that some items were so "badass" that when I saw someone using them I knew simultaneously that he was a top player. Using that kind of item was like sending a message to everybody who saw you that you were one of the top players on the server.

I know that will be legendary items and I am also aware that the skin of these items will be as good as those selling in the shop. But I want to know about the topic of changing the skin. Like in some games, if you drop a really powerful item and you just don't like the skin, you change it. It is valid, and I am not against it. Although, I think MMOs miss the character identity that they had before.

YES, and want to be able to change those skins I don't like in order to build my character as I want. At the same time, I think it is viable to have these types of "Unique Items" - which would be great both in terms of stats and in terms of appearance - that we can not change the skin. They have to be great in these both aspects that people will take the effort to customize their skins around that item to match.

I invite you to think with me for just a little time:
Imagine you are in a PvP siege and you saw on the horizon a Cleric using a Staff that in the moment you saw it you think: "Oh, we gonna have trouble if we let this guy do his job". Because you know that staff is a hard item to get and people who wield it are great at healing people, because of the weapon stats.

I am not saying that there can't exist an item as powerful as that "Unique Item", that we can change the skin on it. I am saying that, in my opinion, it should be great to have some items that you can't change their skins, so when you saw anyone wielding it, or (why not?) when YOU wield it you will transmit the message to everyone who sees you: "I AM A TANK (DPS or SUPPORT), AND I AM FUCKING GOOD AT IT".

I really don't know if some of the developers have brought this theme to light yet (I know about the paid skins and the in-game acquirable skins, and also about the possibility to change the skins). So if this theme had already been discussed I apologize.
What do you guys think of it?

Comments

• Options
    Yes, I hate transmog too, but it is inevitable in this day and age.
  • Options
    The trend these days is to suggest a server with the settings you like :smile:
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Options
    Agreed- though, maybe there could be an alternative way of creating this identity, without interfering with the character customization for any of the equipment, such as having a separate equipable "charm" on your character or some kind of symbol next to your nameplate that is associated with prestige or proficiency.