Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Your progression strategy?

Ace1234Ace1234 Member
edited November 2022 in General Discussion
Just curious what is everyone's strategy or "path of progression" that you plan to do, in order to become the kind of player you want to be?

Comments

• Options
    Start killing people and don't stop
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    Got no clue cause we have 0 info on lategame gameplay loops. I want to craft a ton of stuff, but I have no idea what I'd need to craft, who I'd need to trade to get that stuff, where I'd need to live to craft optimally (probably scientific node, but I might be able to trade recipes from other players).
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited November 2022
    Since the whole point of playing a game is to have fun, I am going to enjoy myself as I progress in the game. I do intend to get enough levels quickly so that when I run into a character like @Arya_Yeshe in the second post preceding this one, I'll be able to give him a dirt nap, which should not be difficult.

I am also looking forward to observing the economics of the node system, the various crafting and specializing systems, and the exploration of this fascinating world.
  • Options
    Walk toward the horizon until I reach it.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    My plan is to inhale Alpha 2 content and figure out an viable way to level in moderate to fast speed, in mixture with having fun of course and not forcing myself because of fomo or other reasons :smile:

But what definetly will be a big part of my progress for sure are the Trade skills !
    The Past determines your decisions in the Present & the Present determines your decisions in the Future.The Future is obsolete until it becomes the Present - The Endless Spiral
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I'll try (but probably fail) to focus on levelling to 50 and joining a node before going too heavily into the artisan skills. Knowing myself I'll probably be a slow leveller though :wink:
  • Options
    GandalfthegrapeGandalfthegrape Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Pick a good quest location on the best available information. Pick professions immediately and level them as I level, Prioritizing keeping professions at the same level i'm questing in over xp. Watch end game guides or world first streams on another monitor. Make a guild immediately and invite everyone I come across. Make an alt for each class. If there is rest xp set them in the location that gives rest xp. Start leveling till end game. Hit cap. Level second and third characters based on rest xp. Flesh out main's professions, keep everything including raids on cooldown. Use 4th character as an auction house manager, use 2nd and 3rd characters as profession boosts for my main's professions, making bags, boe, or a farming character, etc. See what else is in the game as I level and adjust as I learn about it. There's probably going to be a lot of pvp so a lot of time will probably be used zoning out other groups and getting merc contracts to get ahead gold wise. I'll probably go for an economic node as they seem the best for t5 early on, and for personal wealth gain. Once i'm stacked ill probably switch to a military or scientific node depending on the faster travel system, if it's possible at the time. Ill then keep raids on cd and spend my entire time pvping and occasionally leveling alts and professions.
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Take my Family to a Coastal Node, hopefully one without too much drama...

Burn through content to level the node and work on Freehold situation for at least one of us (probably me).

Profit.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    Azherae wrote: »

Burn through content to level the node and work on Freehold situation for at least one of us (probably me).

Profit.

Ocean views and lucrative piracy. Well played.

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    Start killing people and don't stop
    Azherae wrote: »

Profit.

Your plan is sound
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    Mr_MaDrupalowMr_MaDrupalow Member
    edited November 2022
    @Nerror I feel that xD

@Gandalfthegrape You seem to be a pure Hardcoreplayer?
    Also if I remember right, only 2 chars per Account are possible and that probably on different servers?
    The Past determines your decisions in the Present & the Present determines your decisions in the Future.The Future is obsolete until it becomes the Present - The Endless Spiral
  • Options
    Will use my A2 -> B2 knowledge to stay ahead of the curve on levels and development of my node of choice with my few friends playing at launch to build a small slice of power. More likely than not I will be just consuming content as I can without much focus other than I am a PvP player at heart (instanced or not). Mostly will like to see where this all takes me.
  • Options
    @Nerror I feel that xD

@Gandalfthegrape You seem to be a pure Hardcoreplayer?
    Also if I remember right, only 2 chars per Account are possible and that probably on different servers?

Nah I tried to do iron man once in wow classic and died got mad and didn't try again.

They said "There will be a "comfortable" number of character slots available for alts." I took that to mean between 5 and 10. But I have no idea how they measure that. I had like 20/25 in retail wow a few xpacks ago but it really depends on the game and expansion. I felt like 10 was fairly comfortable, but I never pushed progression really and mostly just did btb, wargames, and randoms. When I had that many, pvp gear wasn't very hard to get at all and you didn't have a bunch of reps and mandatory systems to farm out. Personally I like being able to play everything to try it at least once. And then if the meta changes drastically or we need a certain spec, I can hop on whatever. I figured they would have one for at least every main class. But not like one for each of the 60 combos. I'm kinda hoping they don't fall into the power creep trap and keep every new end game raid on the same power level but make certain items from one raid better for another raid or task and vice versa. So you're playing the whole game and not trashing last patch's content every patch. I'll be kinda sad if its not at least 3 so I can play one of each roll.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Alts
  • Options
    ThatGuyPowersThatGuyPowers Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    save up for a tavern in a small node from there build a guild around the tavern and eventually become the strongest guild in the area thu trade and combat with the end goal of living in a metropolis and having the best tavern in the server :b
  • Options
    Nah I tried to do iron man once in wow classic and died got mad and didn't try again.

Lol okay ^^

They said "There will be a "comfortable" number of character slots available for alts." I took that to mean between 5 and 10. But I have no idea how they measure that. I had like 20/25 in retail wow a few xpacks ago but it really depends on the game and expansion. I felt like 10 was fairly comfortable, but I never pushed progression really and mostly just did btb, wargames, and randoms. When I had that many, pvp gear wasn't very hard to get at all and you didn't have a bunch of reps and mandatory systems to farm out. Personally I like being able to play everything to try it at least once. And then if the meta changes drastically or we need a certain spec, I can hop on whatever. I figured they would have one for at least every main class. But not like one for each of the 60 combos. I'm kinda hoping they don't fall into the power creep trap and keep every new end game raid on the same power level but make certain items from one raid better for another raid or task and vice versa. So you're playing the whole game and not trashing last patch's content every patch. I'll be kinda sad if its not at least 3 so I can play one of each roll.

Wow 20/25 chars is a sh*tload to manage :lol:
    I never played WoW actually... But the high amount of characters strongly reminds me of Lost Ark.
    I agree on beeing able to play everything to try it once and then making a decision afterwards on what few classes you stay active. I think 3-8 slots are pretty enough, either for testing out the Trinity system or every char.
    What concerns me here is the fact that you can swap over raw materials, processed ones, weapons and gear,
    in combination with being able to have 2 mastery professions on every char. This could affect the Economy in a negative way.
    With 1 char you could mine and log, with the second char you could lumbermill and smelt and with the third char you could armor- and weaponsmith. In the long therm resulting in a supply-yourself-gameplay.

About the meta, Steven stated that he wants to avoid that as much as possible. That's where the class and skills variety comes in to choose from, in a wide spectrum or in a deep one.
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Meta

If your gear becomes irrelevant after every new Raid and Dungeon, what is the point of investing time in it then? That's not what I would call endconent. I'd rather go for a horizontal progression then a vertical one.
    So you don't get new and better gear but instead you can enhance and upgrade the current one.
    The new content would provide you with the neccessary potions, spells, etc.

• Options
    I need a stronghole...and need a sciIntifiC node and after that...need craft some things, and sell them, and buy material and process material them, explore the world, assalt caravans...kill corrupte people and be corrupted too, and after thar go to fish.

Aah! ang go to a tabern.
  • Options
    Whatever course of action leads me to my next combat skill unlock... Hopefully religions will have some useful skill trees to theory craft with. The more diversity of combinable skills the less likely for pvp and combat to get repetitive and stagnant.
  • Options
    Nova_terra wrote: »
    Will use my A2 -> B2 knowledge to stay ahead of the curve on levels and development of my node of choice with my few friends playing at launch to build a small slice of power. More likely than not I will be just consuming content as I can without much focus other than I am a PvP player at heart (instanced or not). Mostly will like to see where this all takes me.

This guy.... Like minded!!!
  • Options

Lol okay ^^

Wow 20/25 chars is a sh*tload to manage :lol:
    I never played WoW actually... But the high amount of characters strongly reminds me of Lost Ark.
    I agree on beeing able to play everything to try it once and then making a decision afterwards on what few classes you stay active. I think 3-8 slots are pretty enough, either for testing out the Trinity system or every char.
    What concerns me here is the fact that you can swap over raw materials, processed ones, weapons and gear,
    in combination with being able to have 2 mastery professions on every char. This could affect the Economy in a negative way.
    With 1 char you could mine and log, with the second char you could lumbermill and smelt and with the third char you could armor- and weaponsmith. In the long therm resulting in a supply-yourself-gameplay.

About the meta, Steven stated that he wants to avoid that as much as possible. That's where the class and skills variety comes in to choose from, in a wide spectrum or in a deep one.
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Meta

If your gear becomes irrelevant after every new Raid and Dungeon, what is the point of investing time in it then? That's not what I would call endconent. I'd rather go for a horizontal progression then a vertical one.
    So you don't get new and better gear but instead you can enhance and upgrade the current one.
    The new content would provide you with the necessary potions, spells, etc.

Ya I hate vertical progression it ruins games because everything becomes obsolete.

I don't see anything wrong with being able to do stuff yourself. There's no difference between going to the market and buying something and making it yourself. You're either putting work into farming gold to buy something or you're putting work into leveling a character. Putting in the work to level an an entire other character, especially in ashes will be significantly more work that farming gold to buy from the market. It doesn't affect the economy negatively in anyway at all. There is no difference between you trading services from another person and you trading services with another one of your character.

The only thing that really effected the economy was botting, the wow token, and not having enough gold sinks for the wealthiest people. People had so much gold they could monopolize 1 resources in the market causing prices to 2 or 3x in a week with targeted attacks. The problem was a currency supply issue. Way to much currency was injected via the wow token, garrisons, raw gold farming etc. Had nothing to do with professions. They need gold sinks that are like 1,000,000 gold that do nothing of tangible value, like a big firework, gold housing skin, or something.

People want to be able to experience the entire game, what's wrong with putting in the work to experience the entire game? It's by far the slowest and hardest option.

• Options
    AmistAmist Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    So far I don't have a progression strategy per say. I will most likely grab 7 friends and level together, then when I can afford it, I will acquire citizenship through purchasing a house in a node in the mountains and start setting up my crafting station in my freehold. After that I anticipate I will be participating in both raids, dungeons, sieges and arena battles.

A little bit of everything, really
  • Options
    IronhopeIronhope Member
    edited November 2022
    Take things slowly, enjoy the world's immersion (question, general design, music, etc).

PvP a lot in the open world.

Make friends and quest and pvp alongside them.

Make more friends and settle along them in a node if I feel like it.

Make or join a guild with them.

Fight for that node's progression and survival.

I want to take things very slowly and organically.

Maybe I will even level several classes at the same time to discover what I like most.

Maybe I will twink certain levels for certain amounts of time, like I did in wow classic, having very good gear for my level at the time and thus having a very good time in open world pvp.

• Options
    I don't see anything wrong with being able to do stuff yourself. There's no difference between going to the market and buying something and making it yourself. You're either putting work into farming gold to buy something or you're putting work into leveling a character. Putting in the work to level an an entire other character, especially in ashes will be significantly more work that farming gold to buy from the market. It doesn't affect the economy negatively in anyway at all. There is no difference between you trading services from another person and you trading services with another one of your character.

Yes it is true that leveling up a secondary, [...] char will be taking a lot of time. But that only delays the effect of being able to supply yourself.
    Well I was stating that you can swap over materials to any of your characters, meaning to not pay for it at all, because that would affect the economy. If I can swap Iron Ore and Redwood to my second char, make Iron Ingots and Redwood Planks, swap that over to my third char and do Weapons and Gear and distribute that between my 3 chars and/or sell it. Finally I haven't paid a single coin into the local Market. If there comes in something like "Transfering Taxes", which could act as a gold sink, it would affect the economy less. But I don't think you can completely terminate the problem with money fluctuation whilst having multiple chars.
    People want to be able to experience the entire game, what's wrong with putting in the work to experience the entire game? It's by far the slowest and hardest option.

Nothing ! Never said you shouldn't put work in. I will have multiple chars aswell, 2-3, and will also put a lot work into them. But without a gold sink this won't work in the long therm. Just like in New World, one char could do all the stuff and the market died. A different system took place there, but some aspects come very close to being able to do 6 professions with 3 chars.

• Options
    454qs6.png
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !