Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Future of Ashes Of Creation skills

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/File:A1T-Skills_06-30-21.jpg

Let’s take the examples of the tank abilities. There isn’t anything new it’s the same old skills we have seen many times in other games. Nothing new and exciting. Let’s take Javalin for example this pull your enemies towards you skill has been done so many times in games with a tank type class and we all remember it from mortal combat. The other skills are skills we’ve seen before.

My second criticism is the skills don’t look flashy enough and aren’t big enough visually.

Take your mind back to the ranger reveal the jump over and shoot three arrows downward skill is a nice skill to have but it lacks depth and the visual simulation you would want from a skill you’re going to enjoy using again and again. It’s just seems very dull.

I prefer the basic skills in BDO I’m not saying this game should copy BDO but I’d like it to be on par visually and make me think wow that looks amazing.

https://youtu.be/7kzjuuos8vA

I know things aren’t final and that’s one reason I made this thread to give feedback for future development. Maybe we can come up with some good ideas for the team like new and interesting skills that I can’t wait to play with.

Comments

• Options
    While I respect the fact that you find BDO visuals appealing. I can't even begin to fathom how terrible that would be from a fidelity/readability standpoint when 250 v 250 is happening or anything more than 3v3 arenas. I do think BDO skills do look good overall, but I think (maybe injecting too much of my own opinion in on this) we are getting a small glimpse of the skill set of any specific class so far and that sometimes simple isn't always terrible in small doses. Javelin for example is a powerful tank tool that makes you invaluable as a peeler in any owpvp on a small scale and I am sure the team won't disappoint on the augments to make it a bit more interesting or nice to look at.
  • Options
    Pls no fireworks when using a single fucking spell/ability. And no particles that cover up the entire fucking screen just because you made a backdash.

Either give us the full range of options for these animations or make them as muted as possible w/o losing visual feedback.

BDO destroys eyes. I don't want Ashes to do the same.
  • Options
    IronhopeIronhope Member
    edited November 2022
    God no.

Please no.

I hate abilities being turned into firework spectables.

It looks cringe (looks too flashy, like a joke, something out of an anime) and I just hate sensory overloads.

Same goes for gear and mounts. Too much and you end up with a clownfest.

I'd rather have things kept too simple rather than too flashy.

• Options
    Yes I can only agree with @Nova_terra @NiKr and @Ironhope

Keep the animations simple but still visually attractive
    The Ranger ones in the showcase seemed very good to me already.
    Having the option to intensify or lower the visuall effects of skill animations would come in very handy, both for performance and for the individuals preference.
    The Past determines your decisions in the Present & the Present determines your decisions in the Future.The Future is obsolete until it becomes the Present - The Endless Spiral
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited November 2022
    How's that meme go?

"Corporate wants you to spot the difference between this skill and that skill"
    "They're the same skill..."

-- Occasional BDO Ranger Enjoyer

(0:18 of OP's video)
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    HeartbeatHeartbeat Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    BDO ranger abilities are all pretty much the same, ive played ranger in bdo since 2016, its a very boring and unaesthetic class.

That being said and on the contrary to others opinions in this thread, tagging other classes and playing them felt more satisfying because the visuals of other classes was much more aesthetic to me compared to the blandness of ranger.

I like the idea of abilities being firework visuals and throwing around particles as long as there is an option to lower it, players should be given that option to turn down skill FX and completely disable other players FX also.
  • Options
    Animations should be good and feel unique, good animations don't have anything to do with "fire works".

Large fights in BDO did not have the best readability do to have everything being kind of aoe with large effects. I'd say good animations and making sure large fights don't look like a mess.
  • Options
    Taleof2CitiesTaleof2Cities Member
    edited November 2022
    Lust69 wrote: »

Just stopping by to give the usual disclaimer for these kinds of threads:

Steven has repeatedly said that animations and visuals are a placeholder.

In other words, what you see in current development footage isn't what will be at launch.

Which also means discussion on such topics is moot.
  • Options
    pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    Whats with the constant unfocusing? That BDO clip gave me a headache.

Save the fireworks for special occasions.

• Options
    jarjarblinksjarjarblinks Member
    edited November 2022
    i think over flashy fx breaks my immersion in the game. i prefer low fantasy approaches to display skills unless something is literally magic or an ultimate. I think creating visual cues for a more powerful or damaging skills is harder when everything is flashy. imo ashes has too much flashy things as it stands now.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    BDO combat makes me gag, it's so bad looking :trollface: . Character is not even grounded, she's just moon walking across the ground as she's screaming "HIYAAAA" 5 million times.

Groundbreaking....

qyvqjgcfog5b.gif
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif