Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What if you could link music to the Taverns?

I think it would be awesome if the tavern owner is allowed to link in music into his tavern.
Imagine the vibes resulting from that. It needs to be said, that for realizing this feature you obviously would need to take precautions. Like a safe source or restricted sites. How does it look with the DMCA? Is that even possible?
It is stated that you will have the possibilites to play music in taverns.

"Music within taverns can be set by players" - AoC Wiki

Anybody has more details to that statement?
The Past determines your decisions in the Present & the Present determines your decisions in the Future.The Future is obsolete until it becomes the Present - The Endless Spiral

Comments

• Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Music taste is very wide. Even with controls like suggested, I think it would be miss more than hit.

However, do not have a problem with an Intrepid selection specifically made for the game to choose from.
  • Options
    akabear wrote: »
    Music taste is very wide. Even with controls like suggested, I think it would be miss more than hit.

But that's the thing ! The music will differ from Tavern to Tavern ! Just like IRL you are going the the tavern with the music you like, the company you like and the aesthatical aspect !
    akabear wrote: »
    However, do not have a problem with an Intrepid selection specifically made for the game to choose from.
    That what came to my mind as an alternate option.
    The Past determines your decisions in the Present & the Present determines your decisions in the Future.The Future is obsolete until it becomes the Present - The Endless Spiral
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Absolutely not. I am not paying a monthly sub to hear other gamers horrible choice in music. Intrepid have hired amazing composers for this game. That's the only music we should be hearing in-game. :expressionless:

"Music within taverns can be set by players" - You're most likely going to be able to pick X different songs in settings for the tavern to set a mood. But it will be branded AoC music. Not IRL music. Pretty much like the music boxes in ESO that you can place inside your home instance.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    I'm sure Ashes will let you turn down the background music in the settings, @Mr_MaDrupalow ... if for some reason you don't enjoy the music choices that Ashes provides.

As the other replies have said, however, not everyone is going to enjoy your taste in music. Some will. Some won't.

• Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The music in this game is created by Emmy and BAFTA award winning composer Bear McCreary.

I'm not interested in hearing your cousin's awful garage band MP3 you're streaming into the game.

All that being said, we know that tavern owners can set their own music. But it will be picked from the game soundtrack.

Remember, we don't even have the ability to name nodes ourselves, though the names can be chosen from a predetermined list. The ability to pick music is along those lines.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    I prefer the music to be provided by the game.
    I don't want to help players figuring out how to run a tavern and why music is important.
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Options
    Atama wrote: »
    The music in this game is created by Emmy and BAFTA award winning composer Bear McCreary.

I'm not interested in hearing your cousin's awful garage band MP3 you're streaming into the game.

All that being said, we know that tavern owners can set their own music. But it will be picked from the game soundtrack.

Remember, we don't even have the ability to name nodes ourselves, though the names can be chosen from a predetermined list. The ability to pick music is along those lines.

That is great news. I've been (and remain) a casual follower of AoC, but I do intend to try this game upon release and I'd prefer to hear in-game appropriate music, not some real world offering that will basically squat all over the immersion of the game.

Controlled choice is definitely the best course.
    "A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities." —J.R.R. Tolkien
  • Options
    I'm sure Ashes will let you turn down the background music in the settings, @Mr_MaDrupalow ... if for some reason you don't enjoy the music choices that Ashes provides.

As the other replies have said, however, not everyone is going to enjoy your taste in music. Some will. Some won't.

No that was not the reason for creating this thread. I do like the music Ashes provides. And I would be fine with the options provided there. But I also like the idea of having a more felxible way of having a choice. That's why I reached out to the community to figure out wether there are more folks for it or against it.

LadyZel wrote: »

That is great news. I've been (and remain) a casual follower of AoC, but I do intend to try this game upon release and I'd prefer to hear in-game appropriate music, not some real world offering that will basically squat all over the immersion of the game.

I admit that this is a good argument against it.
  • Options
    JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    I 100% support the idea of people being able to play whatever music they want in their taverns.

I have a collection of DMCA Free music Intrepid can use and toss into the collection. I'd have no problem with Intrepid loading it if they wanted to include it in the tavern music selection.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/247nHV7pXjKaggInhOw34x?si=1075f6936553405b

or

https://youtu.be/LCB8BOktZ_o
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • Options
    @Jahlon I will check the playlist out !
  • Options
    pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    I wouldn't be surprised if there were racial music selections that you can choose from.
  • Options
    FantmxFantmx Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    It would make sense. Every major mmorpg has the ability to create music now so I would assume Ashes would be the same.

What would be really interesting is if you could license our the music you create to other players for coin and create a musician class.
  • Options
    MyosotysMyosotys Member
    edited November 2022
    I think it would be awesome if the tavern owner is allowed to link in music into his tavern.
    Imagine the vibes resulting from that. It needs to be said, that for realizing this feature you obviously would need to take precautions. Like a safe source or restricted sites. How does it look with the DMCA? Is that even possible?
    It is stated that you will have the possibilites to play music in taverns.

"Music within taverns can be set by players" - AoC Wiki

Anybody has more details to that statement?

In any case it is forbidden to stream music in game if Intrepdid does not buy the rights.

Even if it's radio, you need the rights. And since there will be dozens of countries represented, there will be potentially multiple national law to be complied with.

And as has been well said by others, no one wants to listen to other people's crap music.

So I think it's not worth it!
  • Options
    novercalisnovercalis Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    If there are bards in the game and music buff ala NEW WORLD - I would rather like to see these bards play music in the tavern to get the buff going.

So you are about to hit a dungeon, hit the tavern first - get your 1 hr food buff and music buff in the tavern before heading out.

obviously I added - cooks can cook in the tavern, and/or players can buy attribute foods but must eat it in the tavern to get the buff.

Be nice to see players sitting in tavern, eating, maybe chat bubble over their head, as a bard is playing music.

bard music is a 1 time thing in the tavern, with a cool down, to prevent 1 bard spamming. there is no proficiency for music playing like NW, so we can allow the next group with their bard to go in, play their music and leave.
    {UPK} United Player Killer - All your loot belongs to us.
  • Options
    If the game provides the music I'm fine with it.

My biggest concern is if Intrepid can deliver all the things they promise, because it's a lot of stuff and changing music in taverns I see as non essencial
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    if the choice is very controlled then yeah.

Otherwise it will be just earblasts and racist music.
  • Options
    It's your own personal space. If it can be done with Spotify at no additional cost, it would be great. You can join the "Metal tavern". If you don't like that music, you simple don't go. It's something in a player created area, won't affect people that don't go there.
    It's a great idea. Imagine having a LOTR inspired tavern with music from those movies!
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    BlackBrony wrote: »
    It's your own personal space. If it can be done with Spotify at no additional cost, it would be great.

I mean, you cant just rebroadcast other people's music.
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »
    It's your own personal space. If it can be done with Spotify at no additional cost, it would be great.

Bars do it all the time and pay no royalties.
  • Options
    Personally, I don’t see the appeal. Very very few people will share the exact same irl music taste. And allowing anyone to play anything inside of the game is horribly immersion breaking. I don’t need to be traveling down the road, stop into a tavern, and immediately be ear blasted by Skrillex. Doesn’t matter if I can “just leave”, you’ve already forced me to listen to music which isn’t a part of the product I’m paying for and altered my gameplay experience because of it. Now I have to go find a new tavern if I don’t want to play the game with the music muted the whole time I’m in there.

Since most people would probably do that, this system should just be optional, so people can choose to listen to the in-game music or irl music while in the tavern. Oh wait, that’s already an option. It’s called playing Spotify in the background for yourself and pretending it’s playing for everyone else if you want to.

There should be a set list of music produced by the same orchestrator who does the rest of the music for the game, and you can choose from those, if at all. If there’s an option to hire an NPC Bard, maybe they can allow you to play some extra tracks that lesser taverns cannot.
  • Options
    24/7

let the bodies hit the floor
  • Options
    Sengarden wrote: »

There should be a set list of music produced by the same orchestrator who does the rest of the music for the game, and you can choose from those, if at all. If there’s an option to hire an NPC Bard, maybe they can allow you to play some extra tracks that lesser taverns cannot.

So we're instead forced to listen the same 20 tunes for 10 years?
  • Options
    Please, no music that doesn't belong to AoC

I don't wanna enter a tavern and it's playing Kanye West - Donda 2
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    You could do music in the style of Lord of the Rings online does it. By that standard even if someone played a song like freebird everyone can hear it as they get closer and several people are in a band playing an instrument but because it’s a midi file it sounds old and each person is playing a different instrument.

I’m not explaining it worth a crap but what it does is you get a representation of the music but it ended up feeling as if it fit the game. Sometimes you gotta hear it a couple times before you even realize it’s a modern song. But there are no lyrics playing and there’s no modern instruments. Anyway if you want something a little bit of both it works well.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Noaani wrote: »

Bars do it all the time and pay no royalties.

@BlackBrony

I missed this reply from 2 years ago - the ASCAP probably wants a word with you if this is what you think.
  • Options
    willsummonwillsummon Member
    edited February 8
    That could create copyright issues.

An idea would be able to have an upgrade for the tavern to create stage and musical band for the tavern, which the owner being able to set up a selection of music the musical band play from the Ashes of Creation soundtrack to play in the tavern.

SWTOR uses a similar idea. SWTOR players can select from the SWTOR music tracks to play from a jukebox while visiting a cantina.
  • Options
    While others are right and it's probably not worth the investment or trouble, Rust's radio was cool ah but somewhat limited. Haven't played much since they released it, maybe they increased the number of stations.
  • Options
    A good pub Bard will take requests. That should be enough for the average Verran punter..

Upnode Funk.
    Paradise By The Caravan's Torch.
    Verran Pie.
    Friends In Underworld Places.
    Py'rean Rhapsody.
    Put A +2 Ring of Resistance On It.
    Piano Manticore.
    I Think I''ll Just Stay Here and Gank.
    Who Let The Tulnar Out.
    (You Gotta) Fight for Your Right (to Party!) And Venture Forth.

You get the drift.
    The girl watched the last of the creatures die and murmured a soft 'Thank you' to her rescuer.

The stranger's eyes lifted to the blood red cloud on the horizon.

'We have to move. It's not safe here.'
  • Options
    Atama wrote: »

They'll be streaming that over Local Voice Chat.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    Apologies, hadn't realised I was replying to something so old. Hahahaha
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/