Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

this idea will be shot down..but hear me out (pvp server)

if aoc is planning to have multiple servers anyway.. why not give the hardcore pvp community one server where everyone is perma flagged purple? obviously my circle of people isnt that big but everyone i know who was/is interested in aoc is completely turned off by the corruption system.. why not do an experiment.. for one or two months tops.. have a server thats purple.. put a warning on it that its a hardcore server and doesnt follow the corruption rules (the same way oldschool mmorpgs use to do with their pve/pvp servers)... if the pop of the server ends up being shit..just change it back to green like the others and no harm done.. but this gives the hardcore pvp community an mmo.. the hardcore pvp community is EASILY big enough to support a server.. it doesnt hurt the game in any way..it only helps it.. instead of all the griefers and gank happy reds trying to find ways to exploit the corruption system ... just give them their own server.. you dont have to change anything else about the game.. caravans ect all work just the same.. (no bounty hunting wouldnt work but thats really not THAT big of a deal) it doesnt split the community because those players wouldnt have played the game anyway..if anything it grows the playerbase... everyone thinks that the reason pvp mmos die is because the pvp community cannibalizes itself and MAYBE thats true but i dont think so.. look at the games we've had to play.. shadowbane, darkfall, mortal online, last oasis.. they've all had MAJOR glaring problems.. usually those games had a major lack of content.. or were so buggy it was painful to play them.. a hardcore pvp server would still be a pvx server.. thats what the pvp community needs to have a successful game..an mmo needs to have content to keep people interested.. like i said.. im sure this idea is gonna get shouted down by all the people who cant understand why someone would want to play on an actual pvp server... but thats because you dont understand how important pvp is to the social dynamic in a sandbox game... being able to control an areas resources such as not allowing enemy guilds to farm resources..trees, dungeons, world bosses whatever.. it creates conflict.. it creates wars.. im not the most articulate fucker around.. but im begging ya intrepid.. just give it a shot.. one or two months tops.. if the servers pop starts to drop or never takes off... just flip the switch and make it the same as every other server.. its literally just changing people from being auto flagged green to auto flagged purple
u2BkQvn.png

Comments

• Options
    Gankez wrote: »
    if aoc is planning to have multiple servers anyway
    It isn't.

Didn't read past that.
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    if aoc is planning to have multiple servers anyway
    It isn't.

Didn't read past that.

so aoc is planning to put the entire population on one regional server? (i was told differently which is why i started with that)
    u2BkQvn.png
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited November 2022
    Are you gonna pay for that server?
    Have you played L2 (which had the corruption system)?

You know nothing. Why should they listen to this?

The whole idea that you can:
    Progress
    Explore/quest
    Gather/craft
    Raid

in a gangfest without protections is stupid.
  • Options
    so aoc is planning to put the entire population on one regional server? (i was told differently which is why i started with that)
    There won't be different types of servers. Just multiple servers with the same rules. Any kind of differentiation of server types will always split the community. If it's pve servers, pvers will just go there and overpopulate them. If it's pvp servers, they'll just die because even pvpers will just go to the pve servers, because those will always be more populated and people play mmos to play with people rather in an empty game (this is less and less true lately, but still).

Also, all those griefers would never go to a pvp server, because they're shit at pvp and are too scared to fight properly. Otherwise they wouldn't be griefers.
  • Options
    HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    0f7wtcz5c80a.gif
    No.
    lsb9nxihx5vc.png
  • Options
    Are you gonna pay for that server?

is that an option?
    u2BkQvn.png
  • Options
    Unfortunately what @NiKr said is typically the truth. "Real" PvPers might go to the server or whatever, but griefers are looking to take advantage of people and get hyped up on killing people who are worse than them. They typically scurry away like rats when more experienced PvPers go looking for them.
  • Options
    OkeydokeOkeydoke Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I can imagine a scenario where Intrepid caves to carebears and Ashes ends up looking nothing like the game I've already paid a lot of money for. At that point, yeah I'd begin to be like ok maybe we should have pvp servers. But this is a kind of far fetched, doomsday scenario.

All Ashes has to do is make the game they said they're making already, with one server type, and it will be a wild success.

I am completely against different server rulesets. It's hard to think of a worse idea.
  • Options
    only pvx servers

accept it or gtfo
  • Options
    Taleof2CitiesTaleof2Cities Member
    edited November 2022
    Sometimes I wonder if PvP players even know or understand the massive windfall that’s happened in just the last couple of months:

- Steven announced that the cooldown period after a node is destroyed is open PvP … equal to a number of days corresponding to the node level.

- Steven also announced that all ocean content in Ashes is open PvP (no corruption).
  • Options
    Sometimes I wonder if PvP players even know or understand the massive windfall that’s happened in just the last couple of months:

- Steven announced that the cooldown period after a node is destroyed is open PvP … equal to a number of days corresponding to the node level.

- Steven also announced that all ocean content in Ashes is open PvP (no corruption).
    And to me this points into a quite the pvp-centric direction of game design. And unless Steven's ready to completely give up on design decisions of this scale, I doubt we'll see much walk back on them.

So yeah, all the pvpers are mostly scared for no reason, cause the game is already way more pvpey than it previously was stated to be.
  • Options
    No. It’s a PvX game. If you want a pvp-only server, there are plenty of other games.

Cheers! 🍺
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    Almost never ever a "griefer" survived more than a few kills or could successfully deny other people from progressing, that's just facts!

The only thing that worries me is dungeon locking, but Steven is on the ball about stuff, if this happens in AoC we gotta talk to him and he will pull some crazy moves and do something about it

AoC is PvX has plenty of PvP, hopefully we will have PvP dungeons too, just like i made this thread about this idea:
    https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/54431/gated-dungeons-a-new-concept#latest

PvP dungeons will be a tiny minority for appeasing some sweaty pvpers, but if you support the idea you should put a comment there

PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    StreviStrevi Member
    edited November 2022
    if aoc is planning to have multiple servers anyway.. why not give the hardcore pvp community one server where everyone is perma flagged purple? obviously my circle of people isnt that big but everyone i know who was/is interested in aoc is completely turned off by the corruption system.. why not do an experiment.. for one or two months tops.. have a server thats purple.. put a warning on it that its a hardcore server and doesnt follow the corruption rules (the same way oldschool mmorpgs use to do with their pve/pvp servers)... if the pop of the server ends up being shit..just change it back to green like the others and no harm done.. but this gives the hardcore pvp community an mmo.. the hardcore pvp community is EASILY big enough to support a server.. it doesnt hurt the game in any way..it only helps it.. instead of all the griefers and gank happy reds trying to find ways to exploit the corruption system ... just give them their own server.. you dont have to change anything else about the game.. caravans ect all work just the same.. (no bounty hunting wouldnt work but thats really not THAT big of a deal) it doesnt split the community because those players wouldnt have played the game anyway..if anything it grows the playerbase... everyone thinks that the reason pvp mmos die is because the pvp community cannibalizes itself and MAYBE thats true but i dont think so.. look at the games we've had to play.. shadowbane, darkfall, mortal online, last oasis.. they've all had MAJOR glaring problems.. usually those games had a major lack of content.. or were so buggy it was painful to play them.. a hardcore pvp server would still be a pvx server.. thats what the pvp community needs to have a successful game..an mmo needs to have content to keep people interested.. like i said.. im sure this idea is gonna get shouted down by all the people who cant understand why someone would want to play on an actual pvp server... but thats because you dont understand how important pvp is to the social dynamic in a sandbox game... being able to control an areas resources such as not allowing enemy guilds to farm resources..trees, dungeons, world bosses whatever.. it creates conflict.. it creates wars.. im not the most articulate fucker around.. but im begging ya intrepid.. just give it a shot.. one or two months tops.. if the servers pop starts to drop or never takes off... just flip the switch and make it the same as every other server.. its literally just changing people from being auto flagged green to auto flagged purple

There are a few problems with your request :smile:
    - hard core PvP players are not the target audience
    - PvE only players are not the target audience either

The game is designed to have PvP and PvE players on all servers:
    - a mix of the hardcore ones, if they accept to play in areas they like
    - and also players who like both PvP and PvE (these are the PvX players)

With your suggestion you create an imbalance.
    If you create dedicated PvP servers, you make the others safe, biased toward PvE (even if you continue calling them PvX).
    Instead of encouraging players to do both kind of activities, you split them.
    Then 2 months later you close the servers and tell them to start leveling up on the other ones, as if missing the start and wasting 2 months is not important. You say this is not important?
    Transferring them with all their money is also not an option as the worlds want to be sealed, to allow their own economies to evolve based on how players play. Hence no cross-server zones either. I think this is a weakness of the game and could be improved but might be too late now.

Edit: I see you actually said
    if the pop of the server ends up being shit..just change it back to green like the others and no harm done..
    If the population would drop, changing the flagging system would not bring the players who left back.
    And the super hard core who did not left because they were happy, you just enforce the more peaceful rules upon them. Then they will leave because
    my circle of people isnt that big but everyone i know who was/is interested in aoc is completely turned off by the corruption system..
    So back to the first statement of my post: they are not the target audience of the game.
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    There will not be separate PvP servers. From the wiki:

"Server types
    There won't be separate roleplaying (RP) servers.[80]
    There won't be separate PvE and PvP servers.[81]"

There will be Lots of servers. From the wiki:

"There will be a multitude of servers located throughout the various regions of the world.[3]"
  • Options
    Strevi wrote: »

There are a few problems with your request :smile:
    - hard core PvP players are not the target audience
    - PvE only players are not the target audience either

The game is designed to have PvP and PvE players on all servers:
    - a mix of the hardcore ones, if they accept to play in areas they like
    - and also players who like both PvP and PvE (these are the PvX players)

With your suggestion you create an imbalance.
    If you create dedicated PvP servers, you make the others safe, biased toward PvE (even if you continue calling them PvX).
    Instead of encouraging players to do both kind of activities, you split them.
    Then 2 months later you close the servers and tell them to start leveling up on the other ones, as if missing the start and wasting 2 months is not important. You say this is not important?
    Transferring them with all their money is also not an option as the worlds want to be sealed, to allow their own economies to evolve based on how players play. Hence no cross-server zones either. I think this is a weakness of the game and could be improved but might be too late now.

Edit: I see you actually said
    if the pop of the server ends up being shit..just change it back to green like the others and no harm done..
    If the population would drop, changing the flagging system would not bring the players who left back.
    And the super hard core who did not left because they were happy, you just enforce the more peaceful rules upon them. Then they will leave because
    my circle of people isnt that big but everyone i know who was/is interested in aoc is completely turned off by the corruption system..
    So back to the first statement of my post: they are not the target audience of the game.

i appreciate the actual thought out response and not the useless name calling and ego thumping <3
    u2BkQvn.png
  • Options
    Arya_YesheArya_Yeshe Member
    edited November 2022
    In the wiki it says there could be servers that are more pvpish

https://pt.ashesofcreation.wiki/PvE#:~:text=There is a balance between,PvP and PvE gear types.
    There won't be separate PvE and Pvp servers but some servers may be more PvP focused than others.[97][100]
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    NiKr wrote: »
    If it's pve servers, pvers will just go there and overpopulate them.
    LMFAO

• Options
    BladenBladen Member
    edited November 2022
    Well a hardcore pvp server would be interesting. Have it with full loot but make gathering mats a lot easier so everyone isn't running around with a stick and loincloth afraid to lose gear.
  • Options
    Bladen wrote: »
    Well a hardcore pvp server would be interesting. Have it with full loot but make gathering mats a lot easier so everyone isn't running around with a stick and loincloth afraid to lose gear.

Doesn't work that way. A full loot drop pvp server would always be loincloth and stick because that's how that works. That will never be a thing AoC can be just based on design. Same with PvE only server (maybe they change this later but I think it will cause some issues from an economic/socialization standpoint).
  • Options
    Th

Well, then maybe the game isn't for you