Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Necromancer tank ?

Do you think you could make a necromancer could be a type of tank as they will have stuff to Absorb life to heal them selfs & can summon tank stuff

Comments

• Options
    I don't specifically think "Necromancer" as a class will be a tank based on just the roots of the primary/secondary of Summoner/cleric. I am sure you could make yourself tanky via gear/skills to some marginal degree but based on the "design document" I am not sure it will shake out to Necromancer Tank.

However, Keeper/Brood Warden might be a bit closer based on class combinations but you won't have the name associated.
  • Options
    Aces_Are_WildAces_Are_Wild Member
    edited November 2022
    I was thinking like a dark paladin or a death knight lol,I wouldn’t really run it as a one,but was thinking of it as something funny it wouldn’t be as strong as a normal tank but you should be able to heal your self a little while taking enemies hp & possible poison them
  • Options
    FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited November 2022
    Summoners will be able to summon a tank, dps, or healing creature. The type of summon effectively determines your build while it is summoned as your abilities primarily work through your summon. We don't know how effective the tanking summon will be. But, we do know that classes other than tank using tank as their secondary archetype will probably be able to off tank.

In the case of necromancer, the cleric secondary class stops the summoner from using tank as the secondary class. However, I like to think that the tank summons will be able to off tank even if they have to fully spec into tanking for it to work.

We will be able to tell at some point during Alpha 2.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Necromancer
  • Options
    IskiabIskiab Member
    edited November 2022
    From my understanding, yea, a tank/necromancer will be able to tank. If you choose the tank class and secondary necro it will be a tank with some necromancer abilities.

Just choose a tank as your primary class. A necromancer primary with a tank secondary will likely be a necromancer with a strong tanky pet, not an actual tank for a group, but the pet can tank if it's a duo or trio.
  • Options
    Iskiab wrote: »
    From my understanding, yea, a tank/necromancer will be able to tank. If you choose the tank class and secondary necro it will be a tank with some necromancer abilities.

Just choose a tank as your primary class. A necromancer primary with a tank secondary will likely be a necromancer with a strong tanky pet, not an actual tank for a group, but the pet can tank if it's a duo or trio.

there isn't a necro secondary.

the combination of summoner / cleric is called a necromancer
  • Options
    Each game has its own vision of the Necromancer. But I agree with you that I prefer a Tanky Necromancer.
    In my opinion a Necromancer has a lot of health, a lot of resistances but a low DPS which allows him to recover life (drain spells). And he can summon evil creatures (skelleton, undead etc...) .

Then, we come back to this choice of Intrepid to make a class called "Tank" which sounds a bit ridiculous according to me. But I guess the "Tank" class will not be the only Tanky class.
  • Options
    Yeah
    I'm just hoping a broodwarden can tank. I don't think a necromancer will get with tank utility to tank
  • Options
    FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited November 2022
    Iskiab wrote: »

A necromancer is a summoner/cleric. You can't be a tank / necromancer or necromancer /tank. You can be a tank / summoner as a keeper; or, a summoner / tank as a brood warden.
  • Options
    Arya_YesheArya_Yeshe Member
    edited November 2022
    Weapons and armor are not class locked, but certain classes are more efficient with certain types of weapons or armor.[40][41] Certain abilities require certain items to be equipped.[42]

https://www.ashesofcreation.wiki/Armor#Class_weapons_and_armor

There are no stat requirements for equipping gear, but there are affiliation and level requirements.[14][15][16]
    We have level requirements that are going to be applicable for particular types of gears. There's going to be affiliation requirements for certain types of gear as well; but from a stat perspective we decided not to go down that route; and the only reason for that is we don't want to shoehorn people into particular types of builds; and stats relate to those particular types of builds because there's a lot of versatility that exists within our class system. They don't have to play it per-se and that kind of lends itself to a meta. It's like, oh you're a tank where you have to tank constitution and if you don't take constitution you don't get access to this really cool tank breastplate. You know stuff like that. It can feel a little too restrictive when you start to dictate from a stat perspective how a player must build their character.[14] – Steven Sharif

Who knows, maybe the necro will have a blood pact spell which 50% of all damage you take will go to your pet... then you equip heavy armor and you are all set to be a necro tank
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    Yeah
    I'm just hoping a broodwarden can tank. I don't think a necromancer will get with tank utility to tank
    I'm really looking forward to Brood Warden, myself. I'm a tank main at heart, but I also love playing pet classes. Being able to combine my two preferred playstyles together is going to be a big deal to me.
    Arya_Yeshe wrote: »
    Who knows, maybe the necro will have a blood pact spell which 50% of all damage you take will go to your pet... then you equip heavy armor and you are all set to be a necro tank
    I doubt that there'll be an ability to pass a portion of your incoming damage off to your pet, but given the support angle of the necromancer, I could see them specializing in being stupidly hard to kill through the use of the aggro pet combined with defensive stats and self-heals. I don't think it'll be a proper replacement for a real tank, but it'd at least be tanky.