Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Tattoo Artists in AoC

The character creation in AoC is already the best among all games.

Now let's have in-game tattoo artists?

Intrepid's job in this will be letting players upload a few decals following the game standards.

No profession or in-game system is required, no nothing, this is just a player driven profession... the player will call himself a tattoo artist and will trade decals.

You could:
  • it's an item and it will have your name on the Info about the item, who uploads could write relevant information about the tattoo in the description like if it's a one piece tattoo or if it's a part of a set
  • option of marking the decal as unique, so it will only have 1 unit of that decal in the entire server
  • sell your decals as much as you want for any price you want, people might even resell the decals

Players will tattoo their in-game feats on their bodies... their motivional words, their node name, etc, whatever, I wanna freak out when I see what other people created

GENERIC TATTOOS:
So you could sell and buy generic tattoos from in-game tattoo artists, people might buy all your tattoos and judge that one one decal is not great then they can upload just a new decal with a better design

So if the player bought a set of 5 decals, he could actually throw away 1 and upload a better version of it...then the tattoo will look better. He could even upload a few more and close his sleeve with more stuff

UNIQUE TATTOOS:
Or you could have decals marked as unique unique so only one person can use it, so real life artists and tattoo artists could actually upload high quality art into the game and only you will have those tattoos.

EULA:
Add relevant information in the EULA, the person should give the rights of the decal to Intrepid, bla bla legal stuff

OVERLAPPING TATTOS:
The character editor needs to let people overlap tattoos so we can put together decals with different colors so we can have colored tattoos:

7s5jbpwpm7q6.png

This tattoo could be drawn in Photoshop or Gimp with 8 layers, each layer is one color, so I would export each of my layers as eight different decals.

Then in AoC I would upload those 8 decals and in the Character Editor I will decide which color I apply to each decal and I will be able to make a tattoo with the same quality as the picture above.

The meta game in the tattoo world in AoC will be having an unique colored tattoos, so only that player can use those decals, he could sell the decals tough... the decals will remain unique and the next guy could apply other stuff around it.

SO PEOPLE WILL BE ABLE TO CLOSE THEIR SLEEVE

p6q03a0thofu.png

Let people tell their stories through their tattoos

Who's with me? :p
PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.

Comments

• Taleof2CitiesTaleof2Cities Member
    edited November 2022
    It's a great idea for after launch, @Arya_Yeshe.
  • Arya_YesheArya_Yeshe Member
    edited November 2022
    If you didn't see the Character Editor video about tattoos, its at 21:45
    https://youtu.be/z_PasE-_W6M?t=1305

What I don't like about tattoo in other games is that the tattos aren't very interesting... let tattoo artists handle this.. let the artists in Intreped work on something else and let the community bring the tattoos
    edited November 2022
    It's a great idea for after launch, @Arya_Yeshe.

The Art Team has plenty going on right now ...

I'm not sure if this involves the art team
    It's pretty much a job for a programmer, should have a web service behind this, a storage, a hash for the image and register it in a database

With that the image can be embarked in the game, then add the item in the market as a tradeable item, that's a job for a second programmer

There are decals in the game already, the decal system is done as we can see in the video
  • novercalisnovercalis Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    there is currently a lawsuit that might end up being a landmark lawsuit filed against WWE 2k as a tattoo artist is claiming Trademark infringement.

The artist has won the initial lawsuit and is being appealed.

the main premise is - "RECREATION" - so if the game, dev is "re-creating" the piece in game, they will need permission.
    Many other games, when it comes to TM tattoo usually makes minor modification as to not be 1:1

Example, previous WWE games that featured CM Punk - who has a Pepsi tattoo is usually not in the video game or simply has the red/blue circle only.

So... back to your post - this wouldnt fly well and puts AoC in legal issues.

this also applies to artworks (including decals). It's a slippery slope allowing players to upload or create art that can potentially be a TM issue.
    {UPK} United Player Killer - All your loot belongs to us.
    edited November 2022
    @novercalis yeap that part worries me bit, because legal stuff is kinda crazy in the US

Maybe people could send suggestions somewhere and a third party guy does the decal and sells it to Intrepid

Maybe WWE 2K didnt leave no choice to the artist, gotta check it out the ins and outs of this story

It's kinda wack claiming it's his out of nowhere if he never contacted the company and told them so

Hopefully I will see better tattoos on games anymore and the possibility of composing tattos with many decals

Reading the WWE 2K case, the reproduction of famous people is dangerous, because you can easily contact the celebrity and the tattoo artist too... in this case 2K contacted the tattoo artist and offered $ 450 and she delicned, then 2K insisting in publishing the tattoos anyway
  • novercalisnovercalis Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    {UPK} United Player Killer - All your loot belongs to us.
    edited November 2022
    Well well well... there's still some hope!

There is the ingame emblems designer!!!
    Players can create their own emblems for their guilds
    Import of user-created image content (UCC) is being considered.[8] This was previously not under consideration.[2]

So, for the sake of being chill about the tattoos, just don't let people upload the decals, force the users to draw it and sign a term.

https://pt.ashesofcreation.wiki/Emblems

Voilà!
    The same tool could compose tattoo decals, if we design a tattoo in a way it could have 3 different colors, just make 3 decals overlaping each other and when applying to the character choose the color of each decal

The character editor should let people add many decals
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited November 2022
    Doesn't need to be a profession.
    Already options for tattoos in Character Creator.
    Probably will just go to some form of barber to make appearance adjustments.
  • Dygz wrote: »

It's not a profession.

You would make some decals inside the game and sell the decals for some gold

Not everybody knows how to draw, this is a purely player driven content
    And your character could look even more unique
  • I wouldn't mind seeing an expansion-pack later on with Tatoo Artist - BUT I don't feel like we need the memory used/processing power to have CUSTOM ones - no.

If - however - every expansion had new tattoos and there was a specific Tattoo Artist profession? It would be a unique element in the game. They could obtain rare tats to give people, and travel all over offering their services.

• DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Arya_Yeshe wrote: »
    Dygz wrote: »

It's not a profession.

The OP says it's "a player-driven profession".
    Doesn't need to be a a player-driven "profession".
    Most likely it will just be available via the Character Creator.
    Might have some tattoos as Cosmetics.

Not everyone knows how to design hairstyles or gear, either.
    edited November 2022
    I wouldn't mind seeing an expansion-pack later on with Tatoo Artist - BUT I don't feel like we need the memory used/processing power to have CUSTOM ones - no.

If - however - every expansion had new tattoos and there was a specific Tattoo Artist profession? It would be a unique element in the game. They could obtain rare tats to give people, and travel all over offering their services.

I don't think they would use any extra CPU, because tattoos and scars and stuff on the skin are probably all merged together in one skin

It would use a tiny bit of internet connection probably if it's the first time you are seeing that character, all player characters very likely are stored in a cache in your hardisk
  • Dygz wrote: »
    Arya_Yeshe wrote: »
    Dygz wrote: »

It's not a profession.

The OP says it's "a player-driven profession".
    Doesn't need to be a a player-driven "profession".
    Most likely it will just be available via the Character Creator.
    Might have some tattoos as Cosmetics.

Not everyone knows how to design hairstyles or gear, either.

I meant player drive profession because you would have to roleplay as a tattoo artist and have placed your own Player Shop for selling decals

You would also receive ingame emails asking if you could do this or that design, so you would have ingame clients paying big gold for customized unique tattoos that only that player would use