Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Tier sets - lesson from ESO

I think its the best to keep tier sets simple.

Eso players are complaining about tier sets being too strong and before that they were complaining about not having good progression.

This is what competitive people will do, same thing happened in retail WoW. They were asking for more "fun" tier sets, then they complained about balancing.

This can hardly be achieved due to this mstter being complex to do. Keep it simple with low % player power.

Comments

• Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Tier Sets are generally just a bad idea though, for most games.

ESO did not escape, just as they didn't escape their other 'obvious mistakes'.

So my feedback is to make them so simple they don't even exist.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    I think the best thing to do is to not have tier sets.
  • Options
    I'm gonna agree with Azherae. I'm more for certain items having unique powers, rather than sets of powers; equipment sets just leads to the kinds of equipment metas we've seen so goddamn many times before,
  • Options
    And as an opposing opinion, I love gear sets and would love to have a ton of them in Ashes :)
  • Options
    I would also like tier set not to exist, were there tier sets in alpha 1? @Azherae
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I would also like tier set not to exist, were there tier sets in alpha 1? @Azherae

Gear in Alpha-1 was just there so we had SOMETHING to wear.

So it's hard to answer your question. There was definitely some 'themes', but I don't think any of them gave an effect 'for wearing X number of them at the same time'.

I honestly don't remember though, because the gear was REALLY unimportant for most things and the tests we did were moreso related to experience gathering, nodes, and Sieges. The gear sets are probably somewhere on the Wiki, there weren't many of them, so Lex or someone else might have put them in.

tl;dr - I think not.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    I can imagine a world where there are a good deal of gear sets that do a variety of interesting things that would be fun and rewarding, however more times than not games boil it down to "X Class set, Y skill does 15% more" or "Next proc of X does 30% more damage" and those tend to be much less exciting than the theorycrafting of a more open ended system.

Regardless of what they do I am sure it will be fine, but I am an advocate for no gear sets or item specific "bonuses" so its not set bound.
  • Options
    novercalisnovercalis Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    I am in favor of not too many weapons and armor IDs in the game.

70% is crafted made, 30% is world drop and those 30% should be about 250 or less Items.

This also provides simplicity, future scaling if the game ever expands. Let's not go the WoW route, where there is 100 unique weapon and armor items for every level.

So, No to Sets Bonus. I don't mind Sets outfits to complete a look, but bonuses not needed.
    {UPK} United Player Killer - All your loot belongs to us.
  • Options
    MyosotysMyosotys Member
    edited November 2022
    I think its the best to keep tier sets simple.

Eso players are complaining about tier sets being too strong and before that they were complaining about not having good progression.

This is what competitive people will do, same thing happened in retail WoW. They were asking for more "fun" tier sets, then they complained about balancing.

This can hardly be achieved due to this mstter being complex to do. Keep it simple with low % player power.

Personally I would prefer that there are no Armor Sets at all. They complicate the game, decrease the opportunities to equip the gear you want and they ruin the feeling of freedom.
  • Options
    i love gear to be as customisble as possible, certain sets with a special proc or something is fine but most of the stats and or procs needs to be trough glyphs enchants and the like. ESO's gear system is madness
    the beginning of wisdom is to know you know nothing
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    I'm an OG on ESO Forums, i have never seen anyone complain about tiered sets in ESO. That isn't the problem with gear in ESO. It's the poor, incompetent combat team not knowing how to balance PvE/PvE with some gear having stats that is completely broken for PvP all to push their new DLC/Chapter.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif