Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

floating names...

whats everyone's opinions on having names floating above everyones head? im just thinking if youre trying to hide from someone in a bush or something..gonna be kinda awkward with a big name floating above your head xD.. might not be a bad idea to change that or at least make it so only allies have their names above their head? idk...thoughts?
u2BkQvn.png

Comments

• Options
    I don't really like the floating names at all. I'd much rather the names popped up as you moved your mouse over another player.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    Sometimes I like to see other players names and sometimes I don't. The floating name makes it easier to locate other players but it can also be really annoying in some situations. I'd like to have an show/hide setting for each different name categories like friends, guild members, party members, allies, all players etc.

I also want to be able to sneak around and hide in bushes and such without having my name reveal where I am. It would be really nice while gathering or when trying to run away from an enemy player or for ambush.
    BDO has this camouflage outfit that hides the floating name of the wearer. It could be done with something similar.
  • Options
    I just don't know if this is a positive. If there are no name plates I can imagine this would be a legitimate nightmare in any group setting. I am a fan of the "ambush" mechanic and the ideas that have spawned from multiple discourses about it on the forums, but it's usually at the expense of readability and I can't help but feel that it takes away from the roguish elements/ranger stalking abilities that I would imagine would hide name-plates.

I think a concept that might work (in theory) is a specific craftable armor set (set bonus/wearable items) that give you pseudo-camouflage and hides a name plate. For example you have 3/5 set bonus of a specific craftable set that hides your name plate while not moving so you can effectively lay traps but as soon as it is sprung it reverts to exposed name plate and the risk of using this armor is that it is inherently worse than actual armor.
  • Options
    we have an interesting discussion about this and the Devs want to hear about your opinions about this there:
    https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/comment/380320

If enough people have interest in this, this could have a shot
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    Gankez wrote: »
    whats everyone's opinions on having names floating above everyones head? im just thinking if youre trying to hide from someone in a bush or something..gonna be kinda awkward with a big name floating above your head xD.. might not be a bad idea to change that or at least make it so only allies have their names above their head? idk...thoughts?

I agree, however I would make things differently. Instead of removing frames or giving players ability to crouch, I would make potions or consumables to hide your nameplate. I know this sounds ridiculous from realistic point of view, but from gameplay point of view, at least from my ideas of what MMO should look like, it creates certain impact on economy, especially if these things are ''expensive'' for example for 1 hour of gathering you could only buy 5 of these potions that last for 30min each. This creates certain effect on how players perceive game, like semi sandbox vibe and semi survival vibe.

I hate theme park MMOs where you can do everything without effort. This does not create good vibe, only creates more and more comfort which some players like, but comes at a cost of losing all tradition once RPG games had.
  • Options
    I would love seeing the nameplaces disapear according to weather, night, distance and gear, everything would add to an obscuration state

so solo players could easily sneak around if they play smart by using cloaky gear, the night and the weather
  • Options
    What if by default no names appear unless targeted? If Player 1 and Player 2 are citizens of the same node, or members of the same guild then names can appear over their head.

This reinforces the concept of being ‘known’ as part of a community and adds another aspect to being a foreigner / stranger.

Could be friend
    could be foe.
    Kill them now
    or let them go?
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    Gankez wrote: »

or your nameplates could disappear when you are in a bush or using one of the stealth mechanics ?_?
  • Options
    Steven mentioned that classes will have a stealth ability that makes your nameplate invisible. I like solution, as it makes it feel like the mmos of old, which this game is trying to feel somewhat like. Not everything needs to be exactly like real life.
  • Options
    VeeshanVeeshan Member
    edited November 2022
    Imo nameplates should only be shown if there in your party/raid.

Everything else should be hidden unless u select/hover mouse over them and so on.

other option is only show green players nameplates (Purple/reds are hidden) anyone at war with you and so on should be hidden too since they would be considered purple in term of the corruption system. So i guess if you can kil a player without corruption penalty then they would hide the nameplates
  • Options
    Arya_YesheArya_Yeshe Member
    edited November 2022
    CROW3 wrote: »
    What if by default no names appear unless targeted? If Player 1 and Player 2 are citizens of the same node, or members of the same guild then names can appear over their head.

This reinforces the concept of being ‘known’ as part of a community and adds another aspect to being a foreigner / stranger.

Could be friend
    could be foe.
    Kill them now
    or let them go?

That's kinda ok, I wonder if there will be a shortkey for targetting the nearest, if there's such key then it would be of no use being this way

Also, who said citizens are friends?
    Citizens of the same node are not real friends, for sure they have their own agendas, they probably will want to spy on you or something, so their names should be hidden too
  • Options
    Are we keeping in mind that nameplates are currently the only way to see how much health an opponent has? We wont be able to see healthbars, and the way the nameplate looks tells us how close to dead the opponent it (this is the last i heard, it has been a while tho.
  • Options
    Arya_YesheArya_Yeshe Member
    edited November 2022
    McShave wrote: »
    Are we keeping in mind that nameplates are currently the only way to see how much health an opponent has? We wont be able to see healthbars, and the way the nameplate looks tells us how close to dead the opponent it (this is the last i heard, it has been a while tho.

There's no health bars anyway, did you check that up?
  • Options
    Arya_Yeshe wrote: »
    McShave wrote: »

There's no health bars anyway, did you check that up?

Can you point me in the direction of where they said there are no health bars? We have seen health bars in every iteration of the game.
  • Options
    @Nova_terra

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Nameplate

Players that are not in the same party, raid, alliance, or guild will not be able to see other player's health percentages or exact health bar values.[21][3][4]
    This is not currently implemented in Alpha-1.[21]

That's why you saw it
  • Options
    @Nova_terra

Players that are not in the same party, raid, alliance, or guild will not be able to see other player's health percentages or exact health bar values.[21][3][4]

That's why you saw it

Right apologies, I am reading the next line you are quoting, so you will still see an estimate of "Health" just not a diminishing health bar but a "ballpark" of how low their health is. However, they are still going to have a nameplate in which you can see their guild and gear set information, which I thought was the original discussion. You are correct though, that all info outside of health is shown just no specific bar.

A player's name plate will deteriorate to give an indication of how much damage they have taken.[3][4][5]

With regards to seeing another player's health: As you know their name plate will deteriorate or give you an indication of like hey they've taken damage they're significantly injured, but you're not going to get a percentage. You're not gonna get an exact bar value, unless you're in their party or in their raid.[4] – Steven Sharif

The character's nameplate will deteriorate to give an indication of how much damage they have taken.[3][4][5]

An icon will identify the character's class.[6]

Hovering over the user's nameplate will show information such as level, their class name and archetype combo.[6]

A buff icon indicates the character's gear and grade.[6][7][8]

The visibility of the character nameplate can be obscured by in-game objects, such as trees; by utility skills, such as Camouflage or Stealth; or through the use of disguises.[9][10]
  • Options
    Yes, being able to see people because their nameplates with information won't be granted at all

Solo players will actually be able to play smart and be creative while evading bigger groups, this is cool
  • Options
    daveywaveydaveywavey Member
    edited November 2022
    @Nova_terra

That's why you saw it

... will not be able to see other player's health percentages or exact health bar values.

This suggests that they'll still see the health bar, but just won't see the figures that govern the health bar. Presumably there will just be a slider bar that fills and empties depending on healing/damage. You just won't see 245/400HP or 61.25%HP.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    daveywavey wrote: »
    @Nova_terra

That's why you saw it

... will not be able to see other player's health percentages or exact health bar values.

This suggests that they'll still see the health bar, but just won't see the figures that govern the health bar. Presumably there will just be a slider bar that fills and empties depending on healing/damage. You just won't see 245/400HP or 61.25%HP.

I don't think it suggests a health bar, to me "it looks like that "ot be able to see other player's health percentages or exact health bar values"

Maybe there will be just a color, or just a word, or just an icon
  • Options
    based on these two.

With regards to seeing another player's health: As you know their name plate will deteriorate or give you an indication of like hey they've taken damage they're significantly injured, but you're not going to get a percentage. You're not gonna get an exact bar value, unless you're in their party or in their raid.[4] – Steven Sharif

The character's nameplate will deteriorate to give an indication of how much damage they have taken.[3][4][5]

I think it is up in the air. I think not showing the bar at all is a bit of a bad call but I do like not having exact information. It could be the deterioration is more "Clear" than I expect so you have a good idea but with healing involved I feel like it would be very hard to read and understand the battlefield with health dropping and then coming back up after a big heal.

At least with a health bar with no information on it you can very clearly see and "read" that they are low lets use our big burst to try and finish this guy.
  • Options
    Because of this effecting combat- I like the idea of being able to obscure your name and info, with it being tied to gear or a utility/passive skill, but with potential counterplay to it by using the same methods.

Maybe there could be a cloak of some kind that is a "tool" or "artifact" that can be slotted in your adventurers gear rather than your combat gear, so it could be an epic form of vertical progression available late game for the players that earn it.

Maybe they could allow for a toggle that requires all people to give permission to have their name and info displayed- so it could be a toggle to help when in a group setting to have quick access to that info
  • Options
    Lord_MarshalLord_Marshal Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    Floating name plates also make it impossible to hide in bushes. Maybe if they make it where if you crouch, your name plate is hidden then it would work.
  • Options
    SneakzSneakz Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    if i could change one thing it would be this, no name plates visible to enemies, allies yes
  • Options
    Sneakz wrote: »
    if i could change one thing it would be this, no name plates visible to enemies, allies yes

that's real rich coming from a guy named Sneakz.....

Jokes aside, I feel like something is lost without the inclusion of skills/gear that make this interaction interesting. If everyone can just /sit in a bush to hide a name plate it doesn't add interesting mechanics to make the choice interesting.