Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Arena and Loot Gambling

How about having gambling arenas?
But gambling your own gear only, nobody else is allowed to gamble otherwise people will manipulate results

I will explain as Conference and Divisions since many people are familiar with these terms.

Boring Conference:
  • 0% loot drop division
  • Carebears
  • AFK players farming tokens or something
  • Gold farmers

Grown up Chad PvPer Conference:
  • 50% drop aka junior division
  • 100% drop aka master division
  • Sweaty PvP

Having solo or teams is fine

rfsnprjdt5vv.jpg
PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.

Comments

• AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Arya_Yeshe wrote: »
    How about having gambling arenas?
    But gambling your own gear only, nobody else is allowed to gamble otherwise people will manipulate results

I will explain as Conference and Divisions since many people are familiar with these terms.

Boring Conference:
    • 0% loot drop division
    • Carebears
    • AFK players farming tokens or something
    • Gold farmers

Grown up Chad PvPer Conference:
    • 50% drop aka junior division
    • 100% drop aka master division
    • Sweaty PvP

Having solo or teams is fine

rfsnprjdt5vv.jpg

Y'all are making me wish I had made some sort of bet with CROW3 about this.

I should make a bingo card.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Btw, this has nothing to do with economy, this is just adrenalin and filtering off the scrubs and if you are skilled you will farm some gear

Also, people with ridiculous gear won't have the courage to join it, unless they are YOLOing
  • AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Arya_Yeshe wrote: »
    Btw, this has nothing to do with economy, this is just adrenalin and filtering off the scrubs and if you are skilled you will farm some gear

Also, people with ridiculous gear won't have the courage to join it, unless they are YOLOing

Yes, of course, gotta 'filter off all them scrubs'.

Arcana Heart foreva!
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Azherae wrote: »
    Y'all are making me wish I had made some sort of bet with CROW3 about this.

I should make a bingo card.

We still have time. 😉

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • When people have a plenty of good gear to spare, they will bring to the 100% loot drop arena

That is for sure!
    Write that on stone!

There will be also people who will bring trash gear and will farm gear in the 50% and 100% loot drops and they will upgrade themselves for free just with loot
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Seems to me to be a great way to get around any checks Intrepid have in place for RMT.
  • edited December 2023
    It sounds interesting but sounds pointless? if that makes sense.

- If you're gambling gear or whatever resource, is that not just gambling?
    - If there isn't a minimal entry gear score then people will just farm low end gear?
    - Farming loot from the arena to be sold or used to sell off other gear is as it it sounds.
    - It always effects the economy regardless of severity, micro or macro.
    - Creates incentive to arena over world conflict.
    - Could create reason for people to throw matches especially if certain pieces are up for grabs
    - Not much different than having a node provide resources for crafting regardless of entry fee like a poker
    tournament with buy-in or house prize pool provided by node itself through mayor.
    - a really good PvP'r or group of players could just never have to do anything else in the game if they farm gear
    from players and store it away
    - sounds problematic to various systems as a work around
  • It sounds interesting but sounds pointless? if that makes sense.

- If there isn't a minimal entry gear score then people will just farm low end gear?
    - Farming loot from the arena to be sold or used to sell off other gear is as it it sounds.
    - Could create reason for people to throw matches especially if certain pieces are up for grabs
    - Not much different than having a node provide resources for crafting regardless of entry fee like a poker
    tournament with buy-in or house prize pool provided by node itself through mayor.
    - a really good PvP'r or group of players could just never have to do anything else in the game if they farm gear

Sorry if I sound like a know-it-all but I'm just discussing. ^^

Hmm, then you call skill-based pvp gambling? If you are responsible for your wins and losses you don't gamble.
    The only gambling aspect would be the player roulette you play in instanced arenas, but if it's done player-driven by meaningful choice or even if you play with tournament rules it is still your skill winning or losing.

We need minimal gear score ladders then in increments that make sense.
    Motivating with all-or-nothing rewards ofc too.

I believe it is the opposite effect, where you craft or buy stuff just for doing arena fights or because you lost them by being a weak arrogant Yolo pvper :p

There should be enough motivation for world conflict other than combat by itself. If not then there is potential for improvement Steven! :)

But it is more exciting to win stuff than to get it for other reasons.

Then this group found its holy grail in the game. I would be happy for them rather than cursing their play style.

Rather balancing problems for later than less creative, player-driven content.

q79i8hmfb0bk.png
  • edited December 2023
    Scarctic wrote: »
    It sounds interesting but sounds pointless? if that makes sense.

Sorry if I sound like a know-it-all but I'm just discussing. ^^

Hmm, then you call skill-based pvp gambling? If you are responsible for your wins and losses you don't gamble.
    The only gambling aspect would be the player roulette you play in instanced arenas, but if it's done player-driven by meaningful choice or even if you play with tournament rules it is still your skill winning or losing.

We need minimal gear score ladders then in increments that make sense.
    Motivating with all-or-nothing rewards ofc too.

I believe it is the opposite effect, where you craft or buy stuff just for doing arena fights or because you lost them by being a weak arrogant Yolo pvper :p

There should be enough motivation for world conflict other than combat by itself. If not then there is potential for improvement Steven! :)

But it is more exciting to win stuff than to get it for other reasons.

Then this group found its holy grail in the game. I would be happy for them rather than cursing their play style.

Rather balancing problems for later than less creative, player-driven content.

haha no worries.

In terms of "skill" based pvp.. that depends on what type of system and to what degree of actual skill is involved. If the game favours RnG for things such as defensives, evades, blocks and overall hit chances it is essentially rolling the dice except there is no pre-determined item up for grabs. In a way, lowers the required amount of actual skill by creating a system based on luck vs skill.

Intrepid is already planning seasonal rewards last time I checked. Sure, the players can just trade on their own outside of this system too. It just feels like pointless motivation to arena especially with all the issues that could come from it. If you have an 8 vs 8 arena match, that's just 8 players calling dibs on gear to either use, repurpose or sell. If it's a tournament, players could just quit when they get what they want.

Need's more purpose with conditions or it's just pointless and problematic.

• It needs more purpose with conditions or it's just pointless and problematic.

Yes.

Generally, I'm against accuracy as a stat, so if skills buff evasion that's okay just keep the "luck range" between stats at a minimum or out of the game completely...
    Dodging, LoS should be enough, who needs random stat ranges anyway?
    q79i8hmfb0bk.png