Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Pirate ships with dead player ghosts

Arya_YesheArya_Yeshe Member
edited November 2022 in General Discussion
What if players who die at the sea would have their ghosts in a pirate ghost ship / pirate fortress?

This ghost ship would be a boss, but it's crew instead of having generic pirates it would have those players

So there would be NPCs with your name, this is not a PvP thing, not a player driven thing
This is 100% PvE

The crew would be composed by NPCs with your name and your character, plus the Captain and officers

maxresdefault.jpg

Yay or nay?
PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.

Comments

• Options
    Maybe during some event, but definitely not in normal gameplay.
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    Maybe during some event, but definitely not in normal gameplay.

I edited the thread because it needed further explanation, this would be 100% PvE, the NPCs would have your name and your character instead of generic npcs
  • Options
    Arya_Yeshe wrote: »
    I edited the thread because it needed further explanation, this would be 100% PvE, the NPCs would have your name and your character instead of generic npcs
    Eh, I'd rather have a multifaction pvx event where people would need to fight each other for some time (with maybe some buff as a reward for the winning side) and then all the ones who died would take the boss' side and fight the survivors as the third faction (even if the dead were enemies before this).

Wouldn't really care either way if some mobs got player names/visuals.
  • Options
    @NiKr Well the sea is PvP anyway, I am saying that the boss would be run 100% as PvE... if people show up and a fight come up then its their problem
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Ship with ghosts - sure.

Ship with player ghosts? well, no. Why?
  • Options
    SathragoSathrago Member
    edited November 2022
    Noaani wrote: »
    Ship with ghosts - sure.

Ship with player ghosts? well, no. Why?

I like the idea, kind of like, "Oh there goes ol' Ed's undead fishing boat again, It was probably sharks. I keep telling him not to swim out in the deep waters..."

But in reality this would probably end up over-saturating the seas with multiple same-named player generated npcs that most likely drop rewards/exp when you kill them. And depending on the severity of player death penalties, it could lead to a meta of farming each other for these things to spawn for their specific loot.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    I could get behind the idea of tea-bagging the corpse of dead-ghost-me. What happens at sea, stays at sea, right?!
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    This could be a fun event at sea. But I disagree with these undead being the bodies of actual players. This seems difficult to implement as every undead would be a unique body with whatever cosmetics they wore when they died. I feel like this would add pressure on server. I think they could just use regular NPC's and create a story around that they "once were players who died in combat" etc.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    you could probably achieve this with good results with standard dead ghost skins ( without too much server architecture / lag) as long as they had a range /distance which they spawned in and a timelimit , say the dead players would show up randomly as dead npcs in the weekly boss fight etc and then after a certain time their names purged from the random npc list
  • Options
    @wakkytabbaky @TheDarkSorcerer @daveywavey the most recent version of the same idea would be this:
    Arya_Yeshe wrote: »
    Ghost crew: a boss who collects souls will collect dead player souls, when he has 100 souls he will spawn somewhere and the crew will be composed by NPCs with the same name, appeareance and class from those 100 players

Boss event should have a cooldown and should have at least 100 souls

ghostship_by_sirhanselot_d8daxzk-350t.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NjAxIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNDQ5OGQxZmEtOTc0MC00MDg3LTgyMDUtNGE5YjBkNDYyN2FkXC9kOGRheHprLWU4MGY4OTAwLWI4ZmYtNGE4ZC05NDM1LTI1ZWVlMjUzZWFkMy5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTAwMCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.gJV5Q1PTt7mPdm7HKzqIxUqnyPfXEL7GeqRXrLdD4r0

So after 100 dead players at the sea if the cooldown is over then a boss would spawn
  • Options
    Ace1234Ace1234 Member
    edited November 2022
    Ghost crew: a boss who collects souls will collect dead player souls, when he has 100 souls he will spawn somewhere and the crew will be composed by NPCs with the same name, appeareance and class from those 100 players

Boss event should have a cooldown and should have at least 100 souls

So after 100 dead players at the sea if the cooldown is over then a boss would spawn

This sounds pretty cool. I think it would also be fun to have the players and their ghosts linked in some way. Some examples could be- having a player's loot duplicated and in their ghost's possesion, or creating a debuff for that player upon the death of their ghost, or instantly killing that player if their ghost is killed.

This obviously could be tuned and balanced around the game's design and intended experience- but I think it could potentially give pve players (or anyone really) a fun alternative strategy of dealing with a specific player, if they can manage to hunt down their ghost.

This could create fun situations like setting up a player to get killed in the ocean to spawn their ghost and hunt it down to get revenge for something they did in the past. Or gathering info about a key person in an upcoming siege battle to see what parts of the ocean they had traveled in the past, and if they were killed during travel, to find their ghost in preparation to have them indirectly killed during a siege battle by killing their ghost.