Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Could Sieges be affected by seasons and time of day?

akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
Could/should sieges be affected by seasons and/or time of day?

Night sieges
- dim lighting, torch lighting, more stealth / tactical

Winter / Summer
- fogs / mists
- cold / fire / electrical effects exaggerated positively or negatively

Just a thought for another dynamic.

Comments

• Options
    It could be a nice way to add some variance to the sieges and potentially favor one side or the other, due to how weather will supposedly affect players.
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    akabear wrote: »
    Could/should sieges be affected by seasons and/or time of day?

Night sieges
    - dim lighting, torch lighting, more stealth / tactical

Winter / Summer
    - fogs / mists
    - cold / fire / electrical effects exaggerated positively or negatively

Just a thought for another dynamic.

I'd figure this is obvious/a given, honestly?

What's the point of putting in a weather system where this doesn't happen?

I'm sure that even if SOMEHOW they were not planning on this before, knowing that Ashes will not 'come second to any game' in things that they intend to do, we'll get it even if just to keep up with Throne and Liberty's 'flooded combat areas'.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    You’re right, @Azherae.

We’ve already seen what Intrepid can do with the environmental systems.

Having some climate variables would certainly add some fun to sieges.
  • Options
    I would like being hit occasionally by lighting to be a thing, which could then be influenced by calling the weather and it's God a bastard...
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Options
    I will feel amazing having sieges with AoC's weather and season systems, sieges will feel unique
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    Maybe during winter, it's balls of ice. When hit with it, it causes dmg and it drains your mana pools.

I'm also into sieges having option with fire dmg, decay dmg, mag dmg, cold dmg etc.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    DiamahtDiamaht Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    Sounds great, I would love it. Only question would be exploitation. How/who decides what weather or time an attack would occur?

It would seem the attacker would always decide, so would that create too much of an advantage?
  • Options
    Diamaht wrote: »
    Sounds great, I would love it. Only question would be exploitation. How/who decides what weather or time an attack would occur?

It would seem the attacker would always decide, so would that create too much of an advantage?

Well, the world of Verra changes seasons every X week.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options

Well, the world of Verra changes seasons every X week.

Yeah but it doesn't snow/rain/hail or have heavy fog every day. You just wait for the conditions you like. Attacker will always choose the battle ground so the question is: Is dictating the weather along with season too much of an advantage?
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Weather could effect it sure.
    Sieges are supposed to happen at prime time for that servers location. So if time of day is set to happen at a regular interval each day. Then sieges will also happen at a set time as well.
    I would like to see the seasons have an effect.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    Sieges are supposed to happen at prime time for that servers location. So if time of day is set to happen at a regular interval each day. Then sieges will also happen at a set time as well.

Seasons yes, but what about weather?
  • Options

Seasons yes, but what about weather?

It also wouldn't necessarily be true that even time of day would be set to the same interval.

There's nothing really preventing devs from making an ingame day be some time interval that doesn't divide up a 24 hour cycle neatly (either 2.5 or 5 hours seems to work well). This would be, imo, better for the game, as players who 'have a strict schedule' wouldn't always have to be experiencing the game the exact same way.

As for weather, we've had everything from randomized weather up to 'light meteorological simulations' in MMOs for 5-10 years now.

There's no way Intrepid is going to let themselves be upstaged by decades-old games, so we're sure to see weather being basically a random effect (from the perspective of most players) during siege times.

• Options
    So you are for, heavy snow/rain/fog obscuring vision? Lets say there is two feet of snow on the ground, should movement be impaired?

What I'm digging at is, how far should this be taken? The trees, leaves and grass are cosmetic, but I think the OP is talking about real world style affects on the battlefield.
  • Options
    So you are for, heavy snow/rain/fog obscuring vision? Lets say there is two feet of snow on the ground, should movement be impaired?

What I'm digging at is, how far should this be taken? The trees, leaves and grass are cosmetic, but I think the OP is talking about real world style affects on the battlefield.

Oh, like that.

I'm 'for' that, yes.

Mud and heavy water slowing movement, snow doing the same, etc. I'm fine with all those things, but again, that's what I'm used to from games, so I probably wouldn't have the kind of reactionary thought relative to it that would remind me why this was a bad thing for some people, if it was.

To me it just registers as additional challenge to be adapted to on both sides, and therefore a neutral/good variation on normal play.

• Options
    Well it's something they could do, but would it actually happen?

The theory is fine but in practice I think people would just wait for better conditions. Defenders would have a clear advatage during poor footing/mobility conditions, and a clear disadvantage with poor visibility. Since attackers decide to advance or to wait, it's up to them.

So, in effect, it just boils down to two options. Do we attact during poor visability or do we attack with good visability.

• Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    If weather is semi dynamic we could see some neat random events. With the declaration periods the math for day time could be worked out but maybe we will get some freak weather events.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Node_sieges
    Once the siege scroll is brought to the node and is activated, the declaration period begins and a countdown is initiated for players in the region to see. This countdown runs for a number of days equal to the stage of the node being sieged.

Village (3 days).[20]
    Town (4 days).[20]
    City (5 days).[20]
    Metropolis (6 days).[20]
    This was previously 2, 3, 4, 5 days.[2][21]

Once the countdown is complete, the siege begins.[2]

I also hope they do use an offset time like Azherae said to give us varying times of day.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Right, but if there is a way to predict the weather then that will get planned into the timing of the scroll being used. That would be fine.

However, if you can't predict the weather, then it becomes random. Too much goes into planning and initiating a seige, not to mention getting everyone to show up, to have everone there just to find yourself in a blizzard.

If that sort of thing happened often, then people would just not seige during certain seasons to avoid having their time and resourses wasted.

If it's random then I would say season effects yes, weather effects no.
  • Options
    We already know weather is planned to have effects on some abilities, so it's not out of the question. Maybe mud will slow down siege engines, or a frozen river might open up a new flanking route. Lots of possibilities assuming they stick to their guns and let the environment have a significant impact on gameplay.
  • Options
    I'd just be glad if the sieges are void of hacking, exploiting, bugs, ghost-siegeing and whatnot. Plain, straight up working siege mode, please.