Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Invasive Species

TheWolfofGarTheWolfofGar Member
edited November 2022 in General Discussion
During the Gathering Livestream Steven floated the idea of Invasive Species.

My question/suggestion is that invasive species be determined by nearby farms. Either when the farmer doesn't manage their farm adequately or just innately by the mere presence of the farm there is chance of drift.

e.g., I'm growing X plant native to the Riverlands, in my farm in the Jundark and due to this system, X plant has a chance to start spawning in the nearby vicinity of my Freehold.

What this impacts and why I think this would be a good system
1 - Impacting the ecosystem, if the plant is rare. The chance of it spreading and gaining a foothold elsewhere in the world would be really interesting to try to promote.
2 - If the plant is particularly prolific it may spread quickly and out compete native plants driving the costs of native plants up due to their newfound scarcity.
3 - Provides a mechanism for gatherers in the wild to get limited access to farmed resources while providing an incentive / activity for farmers to cull the crop growing in the wild to ensure they can maintain a monopoly on said crop.
4 - later/potential feature, perhaps there can be plants that require a specific cross pollination scenario to exist. i.e., you got a rare plant that only grows wild in x region, however when said rare plant is pollinated by a specific invasive species it produces seeds for a lower quality version of the rare plant. that can be used for same schematics but where you needed 1 of the rare crop you need 5-10 of this farmable breed.
2edh26ackfsa.png
The Wolves of Verra
are recruiting: https://discord.gg/Rt8G3sNYac

Comments

• Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    All non Tulnar are invasive species and should be treated as the vermin they are.

Snark aside Steven mentioned a while back the breeding mounts would have this kind of effect. Mounts from different biomes would have different stats. This doable with plants. Not sure but I like the idea.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    Arya_YesheArya_Yeshe Member
    edited November 2022
    All carebears are invasive species, they have to be chopped down

This invasive specie will make all the fauna and flora disapear, after destroying all the ecosystem they also generate an infinite amount of reports for griefing when the pvp hippies go after them
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    I quite like the idea of invasive species being like event for harvesters, PvE players get the mob invasions and thing but it would be nice if there also harvesting event where u get rewards for cutting down or removing invasive species like weeds and things that are stopping your nodes from spawning that u want.
  • Options
    Veeshan wrote: »
    I quite like the idea of invasive species being like event for harvesters, PvE players get the mob invasions and thing but it would be nice if there also harvesting event where u get rewards for cutting down or removing invasive species like weeds and things that are stopping your nodes from spawning that u want.

I agree, however I think there needs to be some mechanism influencing which species are growing where, irl most invasive species are caused by human influence, either intentionally spreading, or by accidental spreading due to farmed species gaining footholds in a non native region. Using the farm idea they would essentially function as soft events depending on how long something is left unchecked.
    2edh26ackfsa.png
    The Wolves of Verra
    are recruiting: https://discord.gg/Rt8G3sNYac
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Goblins?
  • Options
    Veeshan wrote: »

I agree, however I think there needs to be some mechanism influencing which species are growing where, irl most invasive species are caused by human influence, either intentionally spreading, or by accidental spreading due to farmed species gaining footholds in a non native region. Using the farm idea they would essentially function as soft events depending on how long something is left unchecked.

Could trigger it via like mining and opening up a sealed cavern that released mushroom spawns around the region that take root on trees making the timber pretty much useless or greatly reduced yields and the only way to stop the spread is to destroy trees with the mushroom growing on it (Or season changes and it gets to cold or hot and dues off) this could devestate wood production for a season or 2 in the region and realy change up economy for the node with wood prices increases if they players fail to control the spore population.
    This would overall increase ores in the area with the cave opening up and in tern reduce wood production too so could make ores cheaper on AH and cripple wood :P