Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

some sugestions regarding player collision

MMOAddictMMOAddict Member
edited November 2022 in General Discussion
In order to circumvent a player blocking an entrance, player collision could be deactivated while performing a roll dodge or any other evasion mechanic. This way other players would not be able to block an entrance or passage simply by standing in the way forcing you to flag on them.

My second sugestion would be to deactivate collision for people in the same party, this would prevent a lady's first kinda situation every time you and your group have to go trough a narrow passage together.

If non of the above you could alway just give us a /push command that would allow us to push another player aside without flagging. (with a cooldown)

edit:
NiKr wrote: »
https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Collision
Inertia and momentum physics will help prevent blocking doorways/access points. This is based on a character's direction and movement speed, and can be used to push people out of the way.[2][1]

how will this work with a caravan, will i just run people over?

I would love to hear your opinions on this matter, how would you solve these issues?
the beginning of wisdom is to know you know nothing

Comments

• Options
    Arya_YesheArya_Yeshe Member
    edited November 2022
    I love player blocking because it doesn't let us extrapolate and mindlessly spam moviment and actions
    Party members shoul'd follow the same rules as everybody
    But we need mechanics that prevent the "pool's closed" from Habbo Hotel

I am against commands because people will just macro it and spam, rendering the block mechcanics useless

Rolling is good, it would also have a cooldown that is server managed

Player blocking should be done using a collider that has standard size and it should be anchored having the same distance from the floor for all races... so then it won't matter how big your body is and everybody will have the same result.I know it will look odd running through an arm of the bigger races, or running over people's feet or going through their head if you are jumping... but that is fine gamewise

Body blocking should't use the entire body mesh as collider

The best system there is out there is Assassin's Creed crowd in regards of body blocking, but I don't think AoC will have the time and people to invest in such complex system because AoC has so many races and people can sculpt their bodies

July12_habbohotel.jpg
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    MMOAddictMMOAddict Member
    edited November 2022
    Arya_Yeshe wrote: »

The best system there is out there is Assassin's Creed crowd in regards of body blocking, but I don't think AoC will have the time and people to invest in such complex system because AoC has so many races and people can sculpt their bodies

yes that would be EPIC indeed :smiley:

how do you mean?a cooldown on using roll dodge this way, or?
  • Options
    I will say one thing there should be a stat for player blocking like weight where heavy armor give bonus weight which mean lighter armor people couldnt bodyblock effectivly where tanky plate wearer could, can also give tank class bonus weight stat in talent tree to further make them harder to move, this can also play into affect with knockback skills too
  • Options
    Veeshan wrote: »
    I will say one thing there should be a stat for player blocking like weight where heavy armor give bonus weight which mean lighter armor people couldnt bodyblock effectivly where tanky plate wearer could, can also give tank class bonus weight stat in talent tree to further make them harder to move, this can also play into affect with knockback skills too

in AoC physical defence comes from plate and magical defence comes from cloth armor, switching between plate and cloth will likely be as easy as pressing a hotkey out of combat
  • Options
    Inertia and momentum physics will help prevent blocking doorways/access points. This is based on a character's direction and movement speed, and can be used to push people out of the way.[2][1]
  • Options
    Body blocking is very tricky, just because of lag mechanics alone. I'd recommend:

1) No body blocking for non-combat areas (towns/cities)
    2) Possibly no body blocking between characters that are out of combat. NW did this via sheathing your weapon to not body block. But it's a bit abusable.
    3) Always body blocking with mobs that are or could become aggro.

However, the "tank line" is important and I don't know if dodge-rolling through people is a good choice. I have not played many games with body-blocking, but one thing NW did well was that someone blocking with a shield would stop all movement abilities of a person trying to go through them like rapier dive and fire staff charge. In that game I don't think you could dodge roll through people in combat.

Possibly stop dodge roll through people who are blocking. I'd also try to avoid the cheese of people dodge rolling through traps or ground area effects with iframes allowing them to come out unscathed and the trap triggered. Although we do not have word that dodge-roll will actually have iframes yet?
  • Options
    JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    No need for any of these suggestions as momentum is already planned for Ashes of Creation.

Which means if a player parks a character in a doorway, then that player would need to stay there manually contesting being moved. Otherwise as you run into the blocking character you will move that character out of the way.
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • Options
    MMOAddict wrote: »

yes that would be EPIC indeed :smiley:

how do you mean?a cooldown on using roll dodge this way, or?

Yes, rolls need a small cooldown, otherwise people will permanently roll on pvp and bosses
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    DiamahtDiamaht Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    edited November 2022
    NiKr wrote: »

Yeah, I like their solution the best. As long as you can bump folks you should be fine.

Immunity roll mechanics are too exploitable. Push is great, but should not be used, I would 100 percent "force push" people off of cliffs for fun and profit.
  • Options
    So with this planned physics based system- what happens when you are surrounded by players who are so close you can't move or build up momentum to push them? It sounds like you would just be stuck unless there is a way to get out of situations like that.