Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Pvp Suggestion

Some of you out there have maybe heard of this mmo most probably not. There was a game called Rohan Blood Fued that was launched in 2008. In my opinion it had the best tab targeting combat system out of any mmo that I've played or watched videos on. And maybe even the best pvp system. It was my main mmo for 7 years although the main game died due to p2w and you had to play pservers. It was an absolute shit mmo but the combat system and pvp is what kept it somewhat alive. If I had to suggest a game to get ideas from as far as damage number visuals and tab targeting combat design it would be that one.

Comments

• Options
    From a quick youtube search it looks almost exactly like Lineage 2 and Ashes is already copying a ton of stuff from there and L2 is also considered one of the best pvp mmos in the genre (it also came out before rohan).
  • Options
    Never played Lineage 2 but it makes since. I noticed in some of the ashes videos I've watched that there are similarities. Like purple names for players in pvp combat. The team around this game seems to be making great design decisions and taking notes from numerous other games.
  • Options
    Age of Conan has the current best pvp. It is tabbed combat as well as dependent on the correct order of multiple directional arrows to execute combat combos. Very hard pvp learning curve. Takes alot of player skill to the point where gear does not matter to the best of the best pvpers. If Ashes is remotley like Age of Conan you will attract all the ex AoC pvpers. Been looking for the next best pvp MMO for going on 12 years.
  • Options
    Dreadlady wrote: »
    Age of Conan has the current best pvp. It is tabbed combat as well as dependent on the correct order of multiple directional arrows to execute combat combos. Very hard pvp learning curve. Takes alot of player skill to the point where gear does not matter to the best of the best pvpers. If Ashes is remotley like Age of Conan you will attract all the ex AoC pvpers. Been looking for the next best pvp MMO for going on 12 years.

So maybe Dune Awakening will end up a decent mmo too?
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Options
    MyosotysMyosotys Member
    edited December 2022
    DaveLee wrote: »
    Some of you out there have maybe heard of this mmo most probably not. There was a game called Rohan Blood Fued that was launched in 2008. In my opinion it had the best tab targeting combat system out of any mmo that I've played or watched videos on. And maybe even the best pvp system. It was my main mmo for 7 years although the main game died due to p2w and you had to play pservers. It was an absolute shit mmo but the combat system and pvp is what kept it somewhat alive. If I had to suggest a game to get ideas from as far as damage number visuals and tab targeting combat design it would be that one.

We have all played a game that has made an impression on us and we would like it to inspire AOC.

I personally loved the T4C system (game released in 1998). It worked like this:

- PvP ON everywhere but in the cities
    - Loss of items/gear/XP at death. Percentage of losses set on a case by case basis depending on the server (some servers didn't touch XP because it's the most annoying at high level).
    - The security/order was ensured by "Royal Guards". These Royal Guards were players with no particular powers except the one to display a player as "Outlaw".
    - Outlaw players were hunted by APKs and it was encouraged to kill an outlaw (no punishment for you if you kill them)
    - Players known to be toxic and griefers were put in jail (character stuck between four walls with sentences ranging from one hour to several months for repeat offenders).
    - From level 20, players could learn a "Word of Recall" spell that allowed them to instantly find themselves in a temple to escape a fight without much risk. What was great was that this recall spell did not limit PvP. The players thought that if it went wrong they could recall, but they were not safe from a big critical hit that killed them almost instatly.

Of course, this was a different era. The servers had a capacity of 250 players and there were GM's in game all the time to regulate everything.

Today it has become difficult to manage a server with 8000 players and the corruption system seems to be a good compromise.

We'll see what happens!
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    edited December 2022
    In jail for several months is what i really just read? There has to be a reason why i don't see that feature in literally any popular mmorpg. Something ill never be able to wrap my head around are the people advocating for that kind of thing.

A good game design don't involve literally stopping players from playing the game but controlling the behavior of a player through systems. Based on the amount of impact a player can have.
  • Options
    MyosotysMyosotys Member
    edited December 2022
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    In jail for several months is what i really just read? There has to be a reason why i don't see that feature in literally any popular mmorpg. Something ill never be able to wrap my head around are the people advocating for that kind of thing.

A good game design don't involve literally stopping players from playing the game but controlling the behavior of a player through systems. Based on the amount of impact a player can have.

I am a little surprised by your lack of finesse, try to reread the post and you will understand that there is no question of using this prison system for AOC... I am telling with nostalgia, a past experience in another game, nothing more.

3 months prisons were extreme cases for super toxic players, kind of dumb captain of the football team in a small American town, harrassing noobs, from morning to evening that would deserve a lock ban in some other MMO.

Sanctions were appropriate in general and most of the time, it was between 1 hour and 48 hours.

If you look at the corruption system, it works almost the same way, if you kill looping noobs every days, you will have soo much corruption that you cannot play the game too.
  • Options
    Myosotys wrote: »

It was extreme cases for super toxic players that could deserve a lock ban in some other MMO.

Then you ban them you dont put them in jail that is just silly. Also toxic is subjective, if someone is spamming racial slurs non stop then you ban them if they continued it after multiple warnings.

Im not for mem stuff of putting people in jail to laugh at them, if someone does something that bad then it should be temp bans with different periods of length.
  • Options
    Myosotys wrote: »

It was extreme cases for super toxic players that could deserve a lock ban in some other MMO.

Then you ban them you dont put them in jail that is just silly. Also toxic is subjective, if someone is spamming racial slurs non stop then you ban them if they continued it after multiple warnings.

Im not for mem stuff of putting people in jail to laugh at them, if someone does something that bad then it should be temp bans with different periods of length.

You can explain it to the dev who realeased T4C in 1998, they will certainly be happy to hear your review.