Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Moons: pictures, facts, work in progress, etc

Arya_YesheArya_Yeshe Member
edited December 2022 in General Discussion
Moons are a work in progress, so there is plenty of time and stuff to discuss!

Stephen said in the last stream that there's an entire moons system under development, which is cool!
So the devs are very aware already about the fact that moons have different orbits, distances, speeds yata yata

My biggest hope is that we won't have three plain gray moons, cause it would be three sad things flying around
The sky doesn't have to look like a bowl of Froot Loops, but some deatais and colors are very welcome

This is the good moon for now on my book
2022-12-04-22-21-02-Development-Update-with-Cleric-Day-Night-and-Constellations-11-AM-PT-Friday.png

Well, in the stream I didn't like the direction the shattered moon has taken, because it is completely torn appart
2022-12-04-22-22-49-Development-Update-with-Cleric-Day-Night-and-Constellations-11-AM-PT-Friday.png
Could it be very cracked but still holding together? Or having a huge deep crack or hole? Or having many thick cracks with a crater like Ceres
2022-12-04-22-24-30-Silver-Hawks-1986-Intro-8k-Remastered-with-Neural-Network-AI-You-Tube.png

This one is too big, just way too big and color of concrete, please can we have happier moons, we got cool moons right here in the Solar System.
It would be better having a very white moon with a secondary color like the moon Iapetus from Saturn
2022-12-04-22-22-14-Development-Update-with-Cleric-Day-Night-and-Constellations-11-AM-PT-Friday.png

Interesting facts about our moons:
  • Triton is in retrograde, it means it orbits in the opposite direction from Neptune, Neptune has 14 moons in total
  • Ceres is a dwarf planet, but it looked awesome so it's a moon in this thread

Iapetus:
1024px-Iapetus-as-seen-by-the-Cassini-probe-20071008.jpg

Io: the most geologically active body in the solar system, Io’s sulfuric plains are pockmarked by an estimated 400 active volcanoes, with mountains taller than Mount Everest. Some of these volcanoes spew exotic lavas and send fountains of gases 300 miles into space; particles launched by Io’s volcanoes also help power Jupiter’s blazing polar auroras.
14_feature_1600x900_io.jpg
carousel_io_4.jpg?disposition=inline

Ceres: is actually geologically alive
ceres_occatorcrater_4x3.jpg
PIA20180-16-640x350.jpg

Europa: With a vast global ocean tucked beneath a smooth, icy shell, Europa is considered one of the best places to look for life beyond Earth. Its ancient, alien sea likely contains all the ingredients needed for life as we know it
1-pia19048-1041.jpg

Triton: Neptune’s largest moon, Triton, is an active world, with smooth volcanic plains and evidence for geysers erupting on its surface. It’s about twice as dense as water, which means Triton is largely rocky, and it’s swaddled in a thin atmosphere that’s mostly made of nitrogen and methane. Unlike every other large moon in the solar system, Triton orbits Neptune in retrograde, meaning that it moves in the opposite direction as the planet’s spin. That strongly suggests that Neptune stole Triton, perhaps yanking it from the nearby Kuiper belt.
triton-facts.jpg

Titan:
titan_large.jpg

Callisto: the largest crater with a diameter of over 300 kilometres (190 miles), while concentric rings that surround it extend out to 3,000 kilometres (1,900 miles) – nearly large enough for the entire USA to fit within its boundaries
callisto.jpg
Valhalla_crater_on_Callisto.jpg

Enceladus: Enceladus may be small, but it is a mighty world. Geysers erupting from large fractures in the moon’s south pole spray salty water that ultimately forms one of Saturn’s rings
50_Enceladus_768.jpg

Ganymede: Ganymede is the largest moon in the solar system. Bigger than the planet Mercury, it’s the only moon with a known magnetic field. Like Europa, Ganymede is an ocean world, meaning that an alien sea sloshes beneath its icy crust
960x0.jpg?format=jpg&width=960

Phobos:
288px-Stickney_mro.jpg

Moon: our Moon during the Blood Moon
lunar-eclipse-sep-28-2015-deanne-fortnam-4.jpg?1

It's a work in progress, so it's the right time to discuss this before the devs invest too much time down a road that potentially won't please the playerbase

Thank you
PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.

Comments

• Options
    >:)
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Your (very pretty) pics of moons in our solar system are all from space and without a significant atmosphere. The shots of the Verran moons are through the Verran atmosphere which we know (from the ground fog and clouds) is full of water vapor. We can also not assume that the Verran atmosphere is the same as Earth's atmosphere - its composition may inherently make visibility difficult and hazier.

So, my point is that direct comparison, as you are implying in your critique, might not be valid.
  • Options
    Arya_YesheArya_Yeshe Member
    edited December 2022
    @tautau ahahah lol there's no point in your point
    OMG
    that is hilarious, that is so hilarious

I posted moon pics because in the stream, Stephen said it's a work in progress and they might change how the moons look

Sorry, let me mansplain:

How moon assets are affected will most probably be done with shaders, art devs will make moons with no effects on them and then a shader will be applied according to the weather/sky

The pictures are mostly from NASA

Merry Christmas btw
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    StreviStrevi Member
    edited December 2022
    When it comes to realism in a fantasy universe, I can accept the torn apart Moon if the lore doesn't make the mistake to say that it was caused by a violent event.
    The separate pieces would hold together like the floating islands we often see, which do not fall and do not fly up into the nothingness either.

What bothers me are the creatures:
    This one grows barely moves leaving a gelatinous trail over the land but grows some legs when enters into sand. Why not use the legs all the time then? It feels like somebody tries to create a first time "wow" reaction.
    cy03j5h61idu.png
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=23GSdvV1dB0&t=788s

This one looks like a flower and ends up attacking with their bulbs. I hope the lore will tell that they were actually created.
    0sumn3y0vj0g.png
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=mAFW6Pkx-N4&t=370s
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!