Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Guild Hall Dojo/Training Room

CypherCypher Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
It occurred to me earlier today that the game would seriously benefit from having an area for friends and guild mates to practice their skills and tactics together in an environment free of randos and with no death penalties. What better place than the guild hall itself? Bonus points if the room allows for configuration of teams vs free for all, respawn times, gear balancing, etc. Yes, I know there will be a PvP arena; that is completely separate from what I'm suggesting and serves a different purpose.

Comments

• Options
    the Guild Hall from the last Guild Wars 2 expansion has a big duel area, I am in many guilds and I never saw no one using that duel area

PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    bovbov Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think any MMO would benefit from guild halls, specifically a place to practice rotations if you're a dps, like how you can practice on target dummies in ESO and different dummies had different amounts of health and resistances. This was all done inside player houses in ESO and since we'll be having so many options for player homes in AoC, it might be the same or similar. We might also see official versions of guild halls in the form of the castles that large guilds can own. Whether the castle acts as the guild hall itself or have a guild hall and practice area inside of the castle somewhere.
  • Options
    bov wrote: »
    I think any MMO would benefit from guild halls, specifically a place to practice rotations if you're a dps, like how you can practice on target dummies in ESO and different dummies had different amounts of health and resistances. This was all done inside player houses in ESO and since we'll be having so many options for player homes in AoC, it might be the same or similar. We might also see official versions of guild halls in the form of the castles that large guilds can own. Whether the castle acts as the guild hall itself or have a guild hall and practice area inside of the castle somewhere.

Indeed! All you need is a area thematic to dueling if there is already a /duel system and some training dummies to test DPS.
  • Options
    GW1 has training island. A lot of us use it, as individuals and as group to time damage spikes for example.

I think it would be a great feature for a guild hall, however not at all something I expect at launch, more like an patch update 1-2 years after launch.
  • Options
    Personally would appreciate the ability to utilize something like this, if they were willing, as an update sometime after the first world boss has fallen, id love the option to spawn that world boss in the training hall for further training/practice.
  • Options
    CypherCypher Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Thokan wrote: »
    bov wrote: »

Indeed! All you need is a area thematic to dueling if there is already a /duel system and some training dummies to test DPS.

I want something a little bit deeper than just a /duel mechanic. That’s more of a 1v1 challenge. I’m hoping for a place for friends/guild-mates to spar with each other in teams, not just 1v1. Imagine a room that automatically flags you for zero-penalty PvP against anyone not in your party (so you can form teams if desired, or just do free for all).
  • Options
    As an extra thing, if this does happen I'd recommend iterating on the Hall of the Novice from Final Fantasy XIV, or the Psykhanium from Darktide. In FF14 it's a tiny instanced pseudo-dungeon with NPCs that teach newbie players the basics of things, like interacting with your environment during a battle, how to prioritize enemies to kill, how to manage aggro, how to avoid AoE effects, and such like that; basic things that we all know from our years playing MMOs, but that new players won't have grounding in and need to have explained. In Darktide, the Psykhanium has three modes; basic training (to ensure you understand the most basic parts of the system), Advanced Training (to ensure you're familiar with the more complex parts of the system), and a testing ground where you can spawn in common enemies to beat on, letting you test damage and develop skills in a safe environment.

Obviously this'd be some work for the devs, but ensuring there's a way to train newbie players to do things, or to refresh older or returning players, sounds like it could be worth a lot to the myriad folks out there. Set up an NPC in the Dojo/Training Ground to guide players that activate him through a few teaching challenges, and it could foster a much higher level of baseline competency among less invested players, as if someone is doing poorly they can be directed to a training ground for lessons.