Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Important question in regards to the future of Ashes of Creation.

IAmWarden01IAmWarden01 Member
edited December 2022 in General Discussion
I have a very important question in regards to the future of this game:
What efforts are being made by the developers to ensure to long term health of the community of Ashes of Creation and prevent it from spiraling into a toxic cesspool?
We currently have an amazing community, but as the community grows and becomes more popular it's inevitable that toxicity will arise in the community. What efforts are being made to make sure we stay more like SquareEnix, a positive community that is friendly and helpful, and not become like ActiBlizz, a toxic community full of bullies?
0vsxntxgzupq.png

Comments

• Options
    I'm not sure if Intrepid can even do anything to prevent that. Well, outside of banning literally anyone who dares to even say a bad words targeted at someone. And I mean ANY BAD WORD.
  • Options
    TalentsTalents Member, Intrepid Pack
    As long as people aren't openly racist/sexist/homophobic/etc. then I don't think much action will really be taking unless it becomes actual targetted bullying. Telling someone "get shit on" or "gg ez" isn't gonna result in a ban.
    nI17Ea4.png
  • Options
    What efforts are being made by the developers to ensure to long term health of the community of Ashes of Creation and prevent it from spiraling into a toxic cesspool?
    We currently have an amazing community, but as the community grows and becomes more popular it's inevitable that toxicity will arise in the community. What efforts are being made to make sure we stay more like SquareEnix, a positive community that is friendly and helpful, and not become like ActiBlizz, a toxic community full of bullies?

ez. use the mute / block function :D
  • Options
    Talents wrote: »
    As long as people aren't openly racist/sexist/homophobic/etc. then I don't think much action will really be taking unless it becomes actual targetted bullying. Telling someone "get shit on" or "gg ez" isn't gonna result in a ban.

I mean, I specifically PvP to know what my mother did last night so I dont have to call her.

On a more serious note. Just keeping the cheating away and designing the game to be accessible to more rather than few elitists gets you a long way to a healthy long-term community.
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    just don't be a snowflake and we should be good, devs shouldn't take action unless there is hate speech involved
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    Gui10Gui10 Member
    edited December 2022
    What the devs are doing is this:

They are promoting a healthy culture themselves. In their workplace and in their communications with the player community.

This is how it starts and ends.

Once the game launches, then moderation will be important, and the community will scrutinize every decision from the IS team in terms of what things they let slide and what things they moderate. That will send messages to the community about what is acceptable and what isnt.

Then there is always the joker of the community itself. IS cant behave for us. We as players have to act and promote a healthy culture between us.
  • Options
    Arya_YesheArya_Yeshe Member
    edited December 2022

Where are you seeing this so called amazing community, are you on drugs or something?
    We don't have an amazing community and we will never have an amazing in community in AoC

It is not possible having a perfectly amazing community in AoC because there is no modding community, no assets creation, the community here can just talk and step on each other's toes also there's a lot of carebears/whinny boys around... carebears increase the toxicity by a lot

In the other hand, we will never have a perfectly toxic community becaus the PvP in AoC is not faction based, plus there isn't permanent wars, plus there isn't permanent ganking, etc... everything has cooldowns, this helps a lot in lowering the toxicity

I say we will have a:
    • 5 out of 10 toxicity
    • 5 out of 10 community
    • 5 out of 10 forum toxicity

The community being a 5 all around is good enough
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    I think AoC’s job is to make sure no laws are being broken (hate speech) and that’s about it. This isn’t high school.
  • Options
    Iskiab wrote: »
    I think AoC’s job is to make sure no laws are being broken (hate speech) and that’s about it. This isn’t high school.

hahahahahaah
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    FantmxFantmx Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    See discord and reddit.
  • Options
    The best thing going for AOC is that not every situation is win/lose. In FPS/Mobas, where you will find the most toxic communities there is always a winner and loser, and that breeds tons of toxicity. Within an mmo environment you have many ways to win while losing.

The rest just falls on the communities shoulders. A game where I cannot truly solo content means that if I'm a pipsquack to people I won't spend a lot of time having fun with others, progressing or engaging in the pinnacle of AOC content (Sieges/raids/Diplomacy), this of course is based on the idea that the ratio of quality players vs toxic pipsquacks is good enough to deprive the pipsquacks. Personally I really look forward to AOC for the reduced inherent toxicity that I expect.
  • Options
    novercalisnovercalis Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    edited December 2022
    if there is crouching, expect tea bagging and I'll be teabagigng and LAWL spamming (if permitted) when I kill you. There isnt much that can be done with that type of toxicity. get gud.

gamer words, hate speech, racist terms on the other hand should be met with the al mighty hammer.

but ima shit talk, trash talk and I dont think any competitive or pvp devs can do much about it as long as it isnt the aforementioned stuff.

gg, ez pz, n00b, l2p, uninstall will be common place in gaming.
    {UPK} United Player Killer - All your loot belongs to us.
  • Options
    what is hate speech tho? because something that is considered hate speech in one region or culture is considered normal in another one. so where do you draw the line?

There will also be servers in different regions of the world, and players from the whole world.

you could say, well, IS is an American company so let's go with American rules, but the USA is a multicultural country as well, and then, people can start arguing that if you don't allow something, then you are trying to oppress their culture.

and there are also jokes. people shouldn't be punished if they make a joke, or punished by auto bans after mass reports.

IMO, no moderation of chat at all. people can simply mute whoever they don't want to read. problem solved. everybody takes care of themselves.

maybe the only rule would be not allowing links in the chat (although people can always get creative and find ways to bypass this) since they could lead to malicious websites or files, and that is a malicious intent where you can cause real harm to someone's computer, or steal their information, etc