Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Discovering new skills

ChicagoChicago Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
Are there plans to make class quests or adventures or something along the lines to learn/ unlock different class skills or spells rather than just learn them at x level, one thing i think classic wow did really well was make it exciting to visit your trainer every 2 levels to see what you have unlocked and also having special class quests at x level to unlock new spells!

Comments

• Options
    Class abilities are chosen out of your talent trees, so you will choose what abilities you get when you get talent points upon leveling up. I don't think we know if all abilities will be discovered/ learned this way tho. We will have to see closer to release.

I really like class quests. They are a great way to learn about the lore of your class and you get a sense of why your class is the way that it is. Also a great chance to get weapon and gear that is good for you, or maybe learn an ability or get a talent point for such things.
  • Options
    i hope not tbh
  • Options
    I prefer quests to unlock abilities (or ranks of abilities) than quests to farm X mobs.
  • Options
    MDSMDS Member
    I think that would be a fun idea but the overhead sounds rough. Think about all the abilities there are going to be, that's quite a few quests for the devs to create and maintain.

I've always thought an MMO that delivered unique skills based on player gameplay and class would be super exciting. AI generated skills would really be a game changer but rife with balance issues I know. In the mean time I'll keep dreaming of the perfect MMO
  • Options
    superhero6785superhero6785 Member
    edited January 2023
    This sounds nice on paper, but I think it adds a lot of overhead for class specific questlines. And if we want vast talent trees where perhaps you only get to choose 1/2 of the available skills to your class to personalize/specialize, that means that even within classes you wouldn't even do 1/2 of the quests. And if they water down the skill quest experience, to essentially - "Go talk to so-and-so and he will show you how to do X", then what's the point? It's just another "go here and talk to him" barrier to intentionally slow down progress.
    f51pcwlbgn8a.png
  • Options
    No. I don't want to have to constantly go find a trainer to get my new skills, or upgrade existing onces.
    I do recall Steven talking about being able to unlock augments through the religion you picked. And some religions you have to find, in the game
  • Options
    I do agree with others that having extensive talent trees would make this a lot of work. Although having a few abilities tied to following a certain religion/organisation, or becoming available with node progression could be cool.
  • Options
    pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    I would like to see class defining skills to be either quest or 'Go to Mount Shadow and find the Master'. It adds a sense of 'coming of age' for the character.

For other skills the appropriate trainer in standard areas is fine. Cleric trainer in Chapel/Temple.

What I don't like is auto gaining new skills. Just seems cheap.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Would camp any trainers and kill people who are yet to get the shiny new abilities.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif